Xbox One Owner Impressions

Xbox One can stream, but it's not nearly as user-friendly as it is with the Xbox 360.

Thanks for that, tried adding it and on Windows 7 it failed to install the DMR, however people have said I can still right click and click "play to"....except for some reason my right click doesn't actually have that option. Odd.

BTW Larry, does the 360 Forza wheel work at all on Forza 5? i'm guessing not, but don't know anyone that's tried it personally

Nope, nope, and nope. I wish it did, as that wheel is a bad ass wheel. But no older peripherals work. The least expensive option right now for a wheel and the One is $400 USD. As much as I love wheels, I am not in to them enough to get a high end one. I honestly felt off spending $200 on the MS one. No way I can ever spend $400. It sucks right now.

Wow, the impressions shared by DL and others about X1 are a little shocking. Why are download and install times this long? is this still a problem? on PS4 games now download much faster than on PS3. a small game used to take literally days sometimes, now Warframe downloaded in less than 30 minutes, which is a huge improvement. it sounds like MS are really going out of their way to mess things up, and this is not making me regret the lack of the system where I live. and why the hell is looking up an achievement taking you out of a game? that makes no sense at all.

They really took several steps back in a few areas. It is literally dumbfounding to me considering just how much they nailed these aspects with the 360. I understand change is necessary, but change for the sake of change, and not to improve on things, is never a good thing. And I believe it is very apparent it was change for the sake of change.

The download and install times truly make no sense at all to me how they could take such huge steps backwards.

I have to think it has to be because of the reversal on going all digital and the DRM that would have accompanied doing so. I have to imagine that somehow this made them have to change a few key aspects very last minute, so I can only imagine it will be addressed sooner rather than later. Meanwhile on my PS4, I downloaded a 2.6 GB file the other day in about 90 seconds, and that is not an exaggeration. It was by far the fastest speeds I have ever seen on any console period. It really is bizarro world as far as downloads and installs are concerned. Such a reversal compared to last generation.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, tried adding it and on Windows 7 it failed to install the DMR, however people have said I can still right click and click "play to"....except for some reason my right click doesn't actually have that option. Odd.

I'll boot up a Windows 7 VM and see if I can get it to work.

edit: ... same issue with the DMR. the "right click, play to" part does work on with Win7. Leave the Xbox One in Devices and Printers even though there's no driver installed

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/nhorowitz/new_ps4_and_xbox_one_game_cons.html

Power consumption. I think I'm going to remove my Uverse from my Xbox and turn off the standby feature. That's too much money wasted.

Really?

Over five years, the Xbox One?s 250 kilowatt hours per year usage represents roughly $150 in electricity costs

That doesn't seems like much to me over that long of a timeframe, but to each his own I guess. I'm sure it'll get better over the years too as hardware (and possibly even software) improves.

I can definitely agree about the download times. They seem to be at least a bit faster on my ps4 since launch, but I haven't done any timing. I'm going to delete a couple games and redownload them. I'll see how different the speeds are at that point.

I've no ps4 to compare but my Xbox one download speeds have been fine. Installs haven't been an issue either, granted I only have Forza on disc, the rest are digital

Well, turns out tonight wasn't the night to look for differences.

I re downloaded two demos on the X1 and its maxing out my connection. They finished in the expected time.

I mentioned before that my speed seemed to fluctuate, but right now I'm getting full speed.

This leads me to believe that everyone's speed issues are not console related but instead on MS' server end. Hopefully its just an artifact of the new launch and it just fixes itself over time.

I was more interested in the accuracy and latency on actual gameplay, the only thing I see as an advantage the X1 has over the PS4 was the kinect and I was curious if it was worth getting one just cause of it.

But after the recent reviews and I also tried the PS4 Eye camera in store today with 'The Playroom' demo and got store staff to put 'Just Dance 2014' in to give it a shot also, I've decided the PS4 Camera actually works real well, accuracy and latency is very good its much better than the kinect 1 camera. I haven't been able to test out the kinect 2 camera, so hopefully the guys who have both consoles give it a go and write-up a review. I bought the Xbox One for a christmas present for nephew and niece so should be able to try it out after Christmas.

Well if your into motion gaming, which is what you are saying, then I think its an easy bet that Kinect will be worth getting an X1 for.

For now you can use a ps4 camera and then when you get your x1, get motion games on it going forward. Kind of the reverse argument for other gamers. You focused on one of the X1's strengths.

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/nhorowitz/new_ps4_and_xbox_one_game_cons.html

Power consumption. I think I'm going to remove my Uverse from my Xbox and turn off the standby feature. That's too much money wasted.

They will improve so you will have better power saving in near future... but not sure it will be ready in next update...  maybe within a year... we will see.

Also had no issues on my demo downloads. My only issue is the install times

Demo downloads, granted I have only grabbed two, were pretty much normal as can be.

The time I really saw the super slow downloads is when you need to download a mandatory 3GB patch in order to start the install process. I can only believe that is why Forza took close to 90 minutes to install.

So does anyone know if it is okay to put something on top of the kinect camera? Or does it have stuff on the top of the camera as well that is important?

Turns out I did get the PS4 camera (my birthday was just yesterday), and right now, I do not really have anywhere to put it other than on top of the Kinect Camera.

Might be able to figure out a way to mount one of them on top of my TV, but they are so damn big, not sure how that is going to work tbh.

Demo downloads, granted I have only grabbed two, were pretty much normal as can be.

The time I really saw the super slow downloads is when you need to download a mandatory 3GB patch in order to start the install process. I can only believe that is why Forza took close to 90 minutes to install.

So does anyone know if it is okay to put something on top of the kinect camera? Or does it have stuff on the top of the camera as well that is important?

Turns out I did get the PS4 camera (my birthday was just yesterday), and right now, I do not really have anywhere to put it other than on top of the Kinect Camera.

Might be able to figure out a way to mount one of them on top of my TV, but they are so damn big, not sure how that is going to work tbh.

I use this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officially-Licensed-Clip-Playstation-Camera/dp/B00F63QTU6

• Like 2

Really?

That doesn't seems like much to me over that long of a timeframe, but to each his own I guess. I'm sure it'll get better over the years too as hardware (and possibly even software) improves.

Software? Entirely possible and free. Cool.

Hardware? Guaranteed, but that means buying a new Xbox. Not so cool.

There is a small vent strip across the top of Kinect. As long as you don't cover that vent, it should be ok.

My TV is mounted to a wall, so I'm planning on putting up one or two small shelves under it for Kinect and the ps4 camera once I get one later on.

Really? That doesn't seems like much to me over that long of a timeframe, but to each his own I guess. I'm sure it'll get better over the years too as hardware (and possibly even software) improves.

150 dollars a year to be able to say "Xbox on" is stupid. That's three extra games (at least) that I could buy...

150 dollars a year to be able to say "Xbox on" is stupid. That's three extra games (at least) that I could buy...

Haha, I can see why some people would want it off - but that not the only reason for connected standby. Much more than that (to me) is the background updates so that the system, apps, and games will all be updated before you even turn it on. Once I get my Xbox it will definitely be worth it to me to leave connected standby on.

Looks perfect. Sure enough, no US version available. LOL Damn it. I did see a Kinect clip when I was at Best Buy last night. Maybe I can do the reverse.

This.

Or

If you have TV that is mounted on the wall, you can install a float shelf above (or below) the TV... so you could place your kinect/PS camera on there.

There is a small vent strip across the top of Kinect. As long as you don't cover that vent, it should be ok.

My TV is mounted to a wall, so I'm planning on putting up one or two small shelves under it for Kinect and the ps4 camera once I get one later on.

Would be a great idea if my TV was mounted, unfortunately it is not. My entertainment center itself has a stand on it, so it is mounted to it, not the wall.

And hmmm, vents on top of it make me want to stay away from putting anything on top of it, even if I avoid the vents. Thanks for the info. (Y)