[mail] Can't connect?

Hi there

I formatted last night, and right off the bat, I installed Outlook. I setup my 5 mail accounts (heh), and everything worked just fine.

However, just this morning, all of a sudden, it all stopped working. All 5 addresses (4 at my own personal domain, one with my ISP) give "Cannot connect to POP server!" errors.

I havn't really changed anything, it just stopped working all of a sudden. I can't think of any real reason for it.

It reminds me of when, back before formatting, there used to be a service that I would stop to save memory, and whenever I did, the same thing happened. But I havn't stopped anything.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, and Happy turkey day to all who celebrate it!

EDIT- I should add- I tried using Outlook Express, too, and no luck... So it's not just my mail client.

mail.comcast.net responds, while mail.uplinked.us doesn't.... but www.uplinked.us is still alive and kicking.

Edit- Nope, I'm in Michigan, my ISP is near here, and my webserver is in NYC- None should be affected.

did you recently upgrade from office 2000/xp to 2003? I work with tech support at my local university and we've seen some bad upgrade cases with 2003 where it will have been working fine for a week or two then suddenly die on the person.

Clean install of 2003, no upgrades, but that sounds like it's gotta be it. Which would be better- Go back to my old copy of Office XP, or just wipe off 2003 and try it again? I like 2003... :)

try to telnet to your mail server on port 110

and user command user to give it your username

and pass to gie it your password if you get that far

tell us what happens

Telnet fails to connect... :-/

EDIT- Just tried telnet on my bro's comp, POP3OK (It worked).

So something is locally wrong here with requests on port 110.

I just rebooted, and Thunderbird started up, and downloaded 5 messages on ONE of my (websites) accounts, then I lost all connection again.

I try that again, but disabling Thunderbird- Waited a few minutes, and THEN started Thunderbird, and the same thing happened.

I deduce that, after a certain number of POP transfers are made, my computer craps out. Any clues?

Edited by linked