Gaming PC: What should I buy with $1,000 CAD?

Does nobody buy AMD/ATI video cards anymore?  My 5 year old FX 5770 can still handle the latest games.

You mean HD 5770? FX was an NVIDIA line from the early 2000s.

yeah lots of people...

i used to have dual 5770s and they couldnt handle anything with decent settings...

Having a good AMD CPU (Athlon II X4 620) seems to help for me.  And I only have 4GB of DDR3.  I play all games at 1080p, most on high settings except for shadows and antialiasing, most play at 30-45fps like Battlefield or Splinter Cell, and many at 60fps like COD or Grid 2.  Only the poorly coded games are unplayable on my PC, like GTA or Arma 2.

You mean HD 5770? FX was an NVIDIA line from the early 2000s.

Yeah thats what I meant.  The Radeon HD 5770.  The brand is XFX.  The Geforce FX series are too ingrained in my mind :p

Go for a GTX 770 or other more expensive GPU than CPU or Mobo. Next CPU arhitecture might change so your current mobo won't probably support next gen Intel line. AMD is cheap and upgradeable but that might change too. I suggest you an i5 (cheapest of them) , a mobo to resist and hold your current rig (mid-level one) and buy a powerful nvidia card. You won't be sorry .

Here we go : Intel i5 4570 or 4670k if you OC.

MSI Z87-G43 GAMING (cheap and good) or Asus Z87-EXPERT perfect for OC.

Nvidia GTX 770/780/780ti.

Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Quad Channel Kit.

I would suggest you to avoid OC and buy a processor with VT.

What Wattage PSU would you use with these given components?

My setup will hopefuly be using a i5 4670k with the plan to overclock in the near future, and either an MSI Gaming n760 or MSI Gaming n770. I'm just having a real hard time finding SOLID info on the level of power I need. Will 650W be to much, can I get away with 550W

My setup will hopefuly be using a i5 4670k with the plan to overclock in the near future, and either an MSI Gaming n760 or MSI Gaming n770. I'm just having a real hard time finding SOLID info on the level of power I need. Will 650W be to much, can I get away with 550W

650W PSU should be enough. Seasonic PSU are reliable and cool, I ran a similar system on a 520W Seasonic PSU with a GTX 570 SoC on it.

Also OC= less virtualisation features.

650W PSU should be enough. Seasonic PSU are reliable and cool, I ran a similar system on a 520W Seasonic PSU with a GTX 570 SoC on it.

Also OC= less virtualisation features.

Yea someone mentioned a Seasonic G to me.