Notepad freezing???

Question

Alright... maybe someone here has heard of this, because it's very strange to me. It just started lately that when I open Notepad and try to open/save a file it freezes and I have to kill the process. I'd guess it's a problem with the common dialog box, but it only seems to be occuring within Notepad. It just stops repainting and everything... really annoying, because it basically means I can't use notepad anymore!

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Gideon

9 answers to this question

I'm not saying this is the answer but a lot of viruses seem to effect only Notepad. I've had it where it would create blank files and would do really strange things and it was a virus.

Perhaps you could try restoring the original notepad.exe? Whenever I get serious problems like that I tend to format and start clean [good job they're not common!]. My advice to you is NOT to format but try using SFC [system file checker] to restore it, or even better use System Restore to a point where it worked.

wow, lol, i've haven't heard this one before. i didn't know notepad COULD crash :lick:

i don't know what could be wrong. isn't notepad just a single .exe? i just laughed when i saw the subject though. good luck man.

ciao!

joe

I'm running SFC right now... thanks for the tip, I've never even heard of it before... got a feeling I'm going to have to repatch my UxTheme.dll afterwards, though... no biggie...

I'll let you know how it goes after it finishes...

Thanks man...

Gideon

argh... still no luck after SFC...

maybe I should reboot after running SFC (it didn't say it replaced any files or anything though...) here goes...

any other ideas?

Gideon

i'm not sure...would it help if we sent you our notepad.exe? i'm not sure what's wrong, so maybe that wouldn't help, but if you wanna try, just hit me up. ;)

ciao!

joe

alright... this is still a major headache... here's my current position:

SFC didn't work--I rebooted afterwards and not only did notepad still freeze up, but I had to wrestle with uxtheme.dll for about 15 minutes... argh

I've already tried replacing the notepad.exe file from my roommate's XP install... no difference.

I just tried running a virus scanner on it, didn't find anything...

anybody please throw me any possible ideas!

(and thanks BroChaos for your help you've been giving)

Gideon

alright... check this out... got it resolved, but this is still strange.

After fooling with it for awhile, I found out that if I start notepad by opening an existing file (double clicking the text file), I can use File > Save As and it would work. But that's it...

Now, I was canceling it normally... but then I decided to just try and save the thing over itself. AND NOW, it works!!! Somehow that fixed it!!! That's just crazy... damn, and that wasted about half an hour of my life... oh well, through it now.

Thanks again for all of your helps...

Gideon