How many SSD's do you own?

How many SSD's do you own?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. How many SSD's do you own?

• More than 14
    • All of my computers have an SSD in them.
    • I don't own an SSD yet.

I own 5 SSD's currently, including one that died. In order of purchase history:

- OCZ Vertex 60 GB (died within 4 months)

- Crucial 64 GB

- Intel 320 80 GB

- Samsung 830 Pro 128 GB

- Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB

- Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB

1, a Kingston 120GB, was just trying it out to see how I get along with it as an OS drive

I'll wait til it dies before I decide about getting more (Because my 40GB quantum fireball circa 1996 is still running, not using as comparison as my 120GB Maxtor died after 7 years of service)

Hello,

Let's see:

• one ThinkPad T42 with OWC Mercury Legacy Pro 60GB SSD (PATA)
  • one ThinkPad T43p with ? 64GB SSD (modded to accept SATA drive)
  • two ThinkPad X100e's with Kingston 64GB SDDs
  • one ThinkPad X120e with Corsair 64GB SSD
  • one ThinkPad T61p with Intel 80GB SSD and 32GB ExpressCard SSD
  • one ThinkPad X220 with My Digital Life 256GB mSATA SSD and Samsung 500GB SSD and 48GB ExpressCard SSD
  • one ThinkPad W510 with Intel 240GB SSD and Samsung 500GB SSD and 48GB ExpressCard SSD
  • one ThinkPad Helix with My Digital Life 128GB mSATA SSD and 128GB SSD
  • one ThinkPad Yoga 11 with 64GB SSD (Windows RT device)
  • one Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with 256GB SSD
  • one i7 desktop with Samsung 256GB SSD
  • one C2D desktop with Crucial 64GB SSD
That's all from memory--I will probably come back and fine-tune things a little when I'm at the various systems and can look in Device Manager.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

2 in my desktop (128GB Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 256GB)

1 in my laptop (96GB Kingston SSDNow V+100)

1 in my server (64GB Crucial M4)

The only machine I have spinning platter discs in is my server.

They're not really intended for storing a lot. It makes more sense to put your OS and main applications on it for much faster performance. It's a very good upgrade.

Keep your other files on a regular mechanical HD though.

Anyone who says that has never used an SSD.

My work laptop was upgraded to an SSD, and the OS reloaded from scratch.  I don't see any performance improvements, the only benefit I see to them is reduced chance of drive failure.

0. Cause the cost of them for how little storage you get makes them a bit of a joke.

Paid ?15 for a brand new Sandisk U100 64GB... I think thats pretty good value! Perfect boot drive (or in my case a Win8-to-go Install over USB3).

Hello,

Anyone who says that has never used an SSD.

No, if you use a lot of programs for different reasons (or heck, just like to install and forget about it) SSDs do not apply to you. The cost is currently too high.

Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s is currently about 40 bucks

SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD500BW 2.5" 500GB on ebay is 380 bucks

Cannot be justified.

They either replace the dead controller, fix the firmware, or replace bad flash chips typically.

I'd like to think that companies are so dedicated to removing waste and I myself hate to throw away something that can be fixed, but these things are probably cheaper to throw away than fix. I'm talking about cost to them, not us.

I'd like to think that companies are so dedicated to removing waste and I myself hate to throw away something that can be fixed, but these things are probably cheaper to throw away than fix. I'm talking about cost to them, not us.

It probably takes a guy about an hour to fix and verify, and the sale is on top of the money they already got for the product.  Or it goes towards someone who returned theirs, so they don't have to give away a completely new board.

Almost all laptop hardware fixes are with refurbished parts...not much different here.

It probably takes a guy about an hour to fix and verify, and the sale is on top of the money they already got for the product.  Or it goes towards someone who returned theirs, so they don't have to give away a completely new board.

Almost all laptop hardware fixes are with refurbished parts...not much different here.

I stand corrected, then :)

My work laptop was upgraded to an SSD, and the OS reloaded from scratch.  I don't see any performance improvements, the only benefit I see to them is reduced chance of drive failure.

I really don't see how that could be the case because for the sake of argument - even if you weren't loading anything from the disk during normal usage - you should have still seen a huge boot speed improvement.

2. One in my gaming PC as a boot drive (OCZ Vector 128GB) and one in my workstation (OCZ Agility 3 60GB). After running an OS from an SSD I certainly don't want to go back to booting it from a mechanical drive.

got 2 in my desktop - seriously I dont get how you can NOT use an ssd. traditional harddisks are so painfully slow, it is unbearable.

THIS x100 the problem with having all of these SSD's is when I work on peoples desktop and laptops they feel so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!

Pfffff... I have a boot SSD for win8, but to say that a normal platter harddrive is slow? Man.... we sure take speed for granted, my work OS is on an HDD (2.5" !!), startup time may be slow, after that, I bet it flies compared to most of the computers here (An SSD is not an excuse to not properly maintain an OS instalation)

Pfffff... I have a boot SSD for win8, but to say that a normal platter harddrive is slow? Man.... we sure take speed for granted, my work OS is on an HDD (2.5" !!), startup time may be slow, after that, I bet it flies compared to most of the computers here (An SSD is not an excuse to not properly maintain an OS instalation)

We use SSDs on our new work laptops. We have to encrypt the drive and SSDs are fantastic, because overhead is minimized with SSD access times and speed.

I can't believe the amount of people who don't buy SSDs because of the price/GB factor. Just use it as a boot drive and commonly used programs. Then use a data drive to complement the SSDs