[CSS] Gradient border with three colours?

Question

7 answers to this question

.left-to-right {
    border-width: 0 0 3px 0;
    -webkit-border-image: 
        -webkit-gradient(linear, 100% 0, 0 0, from(#4cd964), to(#4cd964), color-stop( 50%, #007aff)) 100% 1;
}

From() defines the color at the start, so the border starts with the color #4CD964.

To() defines the color at the end, so the border end with the color #4CD964.

Color-stop() defines a color somewhere inbetween the start and end. You can use more color-stops to add more colors to the gradient, the first value of color-stop defines the location, in this case 50% of the length of the border. The second value defines the color at that location, so halfway the border the color is #007AFF.

I hope that's clear enough, I tend so suck at explaining myself :P

Edited by SinsOfCube

.left-to-right {
    border-width: 0 0 3px 0;
    -webkit-border-image: 
        -webkit-gradient(linear, 100% 0, 0 0, from(#4cd964), to(#4cd964), color-stop( 50%, #007aff)) 100% 1;
}

From() defines the color at the start, so the border starts with the color #4CD964.

To() defines the color at the end, so the border end with the color #4CD964.

Color-stop() defines a color somewhere inbetween the start and end. You can use more color-stops to add more colors to the gradient, the first value of color-stop defines the location, in this case 50% of the length of the border. The second value defines the color at that location, so halfway the border the color is #007AFF.

I hope that's clear enough, I tend so suck at explaining myself :p

That's great thanks.  But I was thinking more specifically these highlighted numbers:

linear, 100% 0, 0 0, from(#4cd964), to(#4cd964), color-stop( 50%, #007aff)) 100% 1 

http://jsfiddle.net/7493Y/1/

Old code:

.left-to-right {
    border-width: 3px 3px 3px 3px;
    -webkit-border-image: 

}

New Code:

.left-to-right {
    border-width: 3px;
    border-image
        -webkit-gradient(linear, left center, right center, from(#4cd964), to(#4cd964), color-stop( 50%, #007aff)) 3 repeat repeat

}

Changes:

• Changed -webkit-border-image to border-image, for some reason -webkit-border-image also fills the background with the gradient.
  • Changed to reflect what the values there mean, "left center" defines the location of where the gradient starts and "right center" defines the location where the gradient ends. If you change these values you can pick how the gradient flows, from left to right, top to bottom or even left bottom, to right top to get a 45 degrees gradient.
  • Changed the 2 numbers after the gradient definition to adjust the locations the image is cut

More information about border-image: http://css-tricks.com/understanding-border-image/