absolute certainty?

Is there anything such as an absolute certainty?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Is there anything such as an absolute certainty?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, but I can't say so absolutely for certain.

People may say they're absolutely certain, but as a realist, I believe that it's impossible unless you examine every variable, which I doubt anyone knows for a certain situation. So I guess absolute certainty is in the mind of the person.

So you're saying that absolutely nothing could have prevented you from replying? Nothing like a power outage, hard drive crash, etc.

who said that? and maybe i am saying that... maybe i'm neo... :shifty:

:ninja:

ok...i'm absolutely certain that miss scarlett is taking a bath on my bed

it depends on the subject

Good example. (I assumed 'Miss Scarlet' was a cat or pet or something. If not then I have miss-understood).

Certainties do, as you say, depend on the subject.

A 'certainty' is a human perception, and therefore you can be 'certain' something will happen, even if it doesn't. If you are 'certain' something will happen, then it means that you have convinced yourself, or are otherwise convinced about a particular thing.

Saying something will happen is different, however. You cannot say something definitely will happen - even if you are certain (sure in yourself) that it will.

With regards to whether something is/will/has happened, then this is impossible to prove with 100% accuracy. Past and future things are hardest to prove. How do you know something has happened? Someone else told you? Are they reliable? Did you read it? See it on the news? Did you see it yourself? Are you sure? (Read this book on eyewitness testimony by Elizabeth Loftus to see what I mean about the past). And the future? There are too many variables even in something simple. You could say ?In one seconds time I am going to breath in'. You could die in some freak way there and then, never drawing that breath. You have to die some time and in some way. What?s different about the next second to any other that will prevent you dieing? Nothing. There is always a possibility something won't happen that you think will, no matter how unfathomably small that possibility is.

The original question:

"Is there anything such as an absolute certainty?"

Yes: A human can be absolutely certain that something is/has/might happen. As previously stated, this doesn't mean it is/will/has.

?Is there any such thing as something that ?will definately happen? ??

No: There is always a possibility something won't happen, no matter how unfathomably small that possibility is.

Edited by farsightxc2