131 in the Mojave Desert Sounding Loud and Proud in Kentucky

Gerowen    1,244

So during daylight hours for CB radio operators there's usually tons of skip, which is basically radio waves bouncing off the ionosphere.  It can happen at night if there's good cloud cover during inclement weather, but generally speaking as the sun goes down, skip dies out and the airwaves get quieter.

Anyway, I live in eastern Kentucky, and I heard this guy riding skip in from the Mojave desert, right at 2,000 miles away, and he was louder than a lot of the local guys from around here.  His station sounded amazing so I just had to record a video of it to show other people.

Just for a reference, when the sun goes down I can talk out to about 50-60 miles around here and that's about it, so hearing somebody skip in from over 2,000 miles is pretty sick.

http://youtu.be/FzaUNrX7e0s

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Timi Cantisano
      SiriusXM purchases Pandora for $3.5 billion
      by Timi Cantisano

Despite being one of the first music streaming services available, over the past decade, Pandora has lost its luster, being overshadowed by the likes of Spotify and Apple Music. While it has added features to its service to compete, it still hasn't regained its former glory. Although it will be an uphill battle, it looks like Pandora won't have to do it alone, as the company has now been purchased by SiriusXM.

SiriusXM has been operating for a decade and is known for providing satellite radio services to its customers. The firm also offers streaming radio services over the internet. The new deal will see Pandora join SiriusXM for $3.5 billion in an all-stock transaction. The press release states that despite the change, there will be no immediate changes in its offerings.

SiriusXM has detailed the points above as goals for the new partnership. As stated earlier, Pandora has not been doing so well, so it will be important that the company leverages its SiriusXM content and reach to make the brand stronger.

Source: Pandora via The Verge

• By Hamza Jawad
      YouTube is testing a swipe gesture so we can skip videos in the Android app
      by Hamza Jawad

A couple of days ago, YouTube rolled out dark mode to its Android app, a few months after iOS users had received the new theme. Now, it looks like Google is testing a new feature that allows users to skip a video with a simple swiping gesture.

First spotted by Google+ user Joe Kelly, the addition of this gesture will basically allow users to quickly move between videos by swiping to play the next or the previous video. The video that plays upon swiping left is the item listed in the "Up Next" queue below the video being currently played. According to Kelly, this feature is currently only working when videos from the "Home" tab in the YouTube Android app are played. This is rather interesting since the "Up Next" list is present beneath every video, regardless of whether it is played from a user's Home tab or not.

The functioning of this gesture can be viewed in the video below:

As can be observed, swiping is much quicker than tapping on the screen and then selecting whether you'd like to skip to the next or the previous video. By contrast, skipping to the next video in the desktop version of YouTube simply requires clicking the 'next' icon beside the 'play' icon on the control bar. As the feature is currently is testing stages, the next/previous icons overlaid on the video player in the Android app are still present, though they will likely be removed once the swiping gesture gets properly implemented.

We have not yet spotted the feature on any of our Android devices which means it is probably in very early testing stages, and it will take some time before it is rolled out everyone.

Source: Joe Kelly (Google+) via 9to5Google

• By Timi Cantisano
      You can now listen to FM radio on your unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+
      by Timi Cantisano

If you're a person who loves FM radio and owns an unlocked variant of the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+, you'll be happy to know the handsets are now enabling support for FM radio reception after their most recent updates.

There was a bit of confusion earlier in the year when Samsung debuted its Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+. The firm advertised that FM reception was indeed a feature on both devices but failed to give details that it was only going to be available on carrier-branded units. This left those that purchased the unlocked model without the ability to tune in to the radio. While it probably wasn't a huge issue, it is good to see that Samsung has finally resolved the problem after three months.

Although streaming services have dominated for the past few years, there are still some programs that can only be enjoyed through the radio. If you are one of those people that wants to take advantage and has an unlocked model, be sure to plug in a set of headphones and download the NextRadio app.

Source: Reddit via The Verge

• By Gerowen
      FreqLength is just a very simple little tool I wrote for myself partly just as a hobby/project, and also so I'd have a portable wavelength calculator.  I just posted a new version of it yesterday and thought I would share in case any of you are interested in it or might find it useful.  It takes a given frequency as input and then spits out the wavelength of that frequency.  You can get wavelengths either in open space, or if you provide the velocity factor, it will give you those same wavelengths in a cable with that velocity factor.  This might come in handy for people such as Ham/CB radio operators, or others who deal with radio transmissions and make their own cables.

It's just written in Python, so if you don't trust me (I don't blame you for not trusting some noob on the internet), you can just download and extract the tar archive and then read the "freqlength.py" file with your favorite text/code editor.  The Windows executable is just the python version compiled against Python 3.4 with py2exe, then bundled into an installer with InnoSetup.  Since it's just Python, the version in the tar archive should run on any system with Python installed; Linux, Mac OS, etc.  There is a Linux installation batch script that you can use if you'd like, although it's not necessary to use it; all it does is move the files into /opt/freqlength and stick some icons on the desktop and in your applications menu.  The source files are also installed as part of the Windows installation process, so if you install the Windows version with the .exe but still want to see the source code, just browse to the installation directory and you should see the freqlength.py file in there.

I no longer own any 32 bit machines to compile on (and haven't bothered setting up a 32 bit VM), so the Windows executable version will only run on 64 bit machines, so if you're running a 32 bit version of Windows, you'll have to have Python 3 installed and use the tarball version.  If you're running 64 bit Windows and you don't care about reading the source code, all you need is the Windows executable.

Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freqlength/

• By Copernic
      TapinRadio 2.05
      by Razvan Serea

Tapin Radio is a simple internet radio streaming and recording tool with thousands of free online radio stations you can tune in to. Includes quick search, smooth switching between stations, and sleep timer to shutdown TapinRadio or even your computer. There's also a Pro (paid) version which offers cover art, lyrics support, recordings schedule and other useful features.

Main features are:

Plenty of stations to choose from Supports most of the internet radio formats – mp3, wma, ogg vorbis, aac+ and so on Quick and reliable search Smooth switching between stations Record what you are listening to – including separate song files Automatic checking for software and stations Show your favorites in groups Sleep timer to shutdown TapinRadio or even your computer Portable installation available (Choose portable during installation) Changes in TapinRadio 2.05:

Added: Online search Fixed: Minor bugs Download: TapinRadio 2.05 | 14.5 MB (Freeware, paid upgrade available)
      View: TapinRadio Homepage