Rumor: PS VR is real, not HMZ related. In dev "for ages"

The devs I spoke to talked about the actual PlayStation vr headset.They described super stardust vr to me and explicitly talked about how it was different than the hmz line. Sony has been working on vr for ages, longer than people realize. They?re pretty thrilled to see vr taking off just as their tech is maturing and are interested in the long-term future of the medium, but just their own headset

http://thesonicreblog.com/yes-playstation-vr-not-hmz/

I'm not surprised to hear they've been working on it a long time. Just look at their motion control labs from 1995 or whatever before Move came along.

If they plan to release it for PS4, I'm sure it'll be a few years away yet still.

Yeah I'm not shocked they have been working on something.

The question is can they build a viable option for the ps4, or is this still in the future. At least they seem motivated to keep working on it.

A headset like this combined with Kinect-like camera tech could offer a great VR experience minus the lack of complete tactile feedback.

Yeah I'm not shocked they have been working on something.

The question is can they build a viable option for the ps4, or is this still in the future. At least they seem motivated to keep working on it.

A headset like this combined with Kinect-like camera tech could offer a great VR experience minus the lack of complete tactile feedback.

I think the reason the light bar is on the controller is going to aid in something like this. Tracking the controller while using VR will probably bring up some interesting experiences. As well as obviously retaining feedback.

I think the reason the light bar is on the controller is going to aid in something like this. Tracking the controller while using VR will probably bring up some interesting experiences. As well as obviously retaining feedback.

I agree, being able to track the controller can offer useful data when trying to interact with the user.

I agree, being able to track the controller can offer useful data when trying to interact with the user.

I'm pretty sure there's an image going around of either a patent/early prototype or maybe it's even geeky "hackings" where a PlayStation move controller is strapped to the side of someones head who is wearing a VR headset of some sorts.

We have to make sure we do not get too ridiculous, even in the comforts of our homes lol. A controller is normal enough for me, I don't want to be strapping glowing bulbs anywhere!

I'm pretty sure there's an image going around of either a patent/early prototype or maybe it's even geeky "hackings" where a PlayStation move controller is strapped to the side of someones head who is wearing a VR headset of some sorts.

We have to make sure we do not get too ridiculous, even in the comforts of our homes lol. A controller is normal enough for me, I don't want to be strapping glowing bulbs anywhere!

Oh man, now that is a crazy thought :laugh:

Its embarrassing enough to watch someone play motion controlled games, we don't need to be adding glowing lights to them.

The danger here is the VR could be the next 3D: a tech that comes and goes over the years when companies are trying to find something that customers will go crazy over, only for it to slowly die off and fade away for another set of years.

Oh man, now that is a crazy thought :laugh:

Its embarrassing enough to watch someone play motion controlled games, we don't need to be adding glowing lights to them.

The danger here is the VR could be the next 3D: a tech that comes and goes over the years when companies are trying to find something that customers will go crazy over, only for it to slowly die off and fade away for another set of years.

lol

sonyvirtualrealitydemo_616.jpg

It was to demo head tracking with the old Sony headset. (let me know if image doesn't appear).