Five Announcements Nintendo Should Make Right Now

Personally I think that an exclusive Grand Theft Auto funded by Nintendo to make it easier for Rockstar would help the Wii U massively and slightly help Nintendo's image.  I know it sounds insane but look at the amount of sales that GTA 5 made this year and in general and how many hardware sales it drove.  If Nintendo had an exclusive GTA that was not available on any other console I'm sure many people would buy the console for just that one game thereby being a Trojan horse.  Then you show those people reasons why having a Nintendo system wasn't as bad as they thought.

That's just my personal opinion on one thing Nintendo could do but I think they need to make more effective use of their cash reserves.  What is $100 million in the grand scheme of things to completely fund a game that could potentially generate over $1 billion in sales for you and improve your brand image among gamers.

They had Chinatown Wars on DS but I'm not sure it sold that much The game was good but not a system seller nor developed by R* North.

It'd take this sort of strategy with a number of high profile games to achieve what you describe IMO. A big name RPG and FPS would be a start but convincing a dev to ignore X1/PS4 won't be easy.

They had Chinatown Wars on DS but I'm not sure it sold that much The game was good but not a system seller nor developed by R* North.

It'd take this sort of strategy with a number of high profile games to achieve what you describe IMO. A big name RPG and FPS would be a start but convincing a dev to ignore X1/PS4 won't be easy.

that's true which is why I suggest Nintendo would have to foot the development cost almost completely or work out an arrangement with the developer where the game is exclusive for most of the generation to their platform (Mass Effect comes to mind) and then towards the end it comes out on the other systems.

that's true which is why I suggest Nintendo would have to foot the development cost almost completely or work out an arrangement with the developer where the game is exclusive for most of the generation to their platform (Mass Effect comes to mind) and then towards the end it comes out on the other systems.

I understand but that's a very expensive straegy. You'd have to make a lucartive contract along the lines of, we'll pay you more than you can stand to make by selling on the other 2. And if you want to keep using GTA V as the example, well, you know how much that made in 1 day never mind what it stands to in lifetime sales. Now multiply that by x number of exclusives and you're quickly signing checks you can't guarantee will be paid off.

Nintendo have ?10 billion in reserve and bonds IIRC, but they still can't sign cheques willy nilly. It'd certainly pay off with the right partnerships. To what degree is unknown and you still have a task on your hand convincing them.

I'm sure we'll see them create these deals, but on a smaller scale. There was an article last week about Next Level Games working on Nintendo IP from now on. That's a start and very valuable asset for N.

Not a bad list to consider. I'm not sure of the ultimate cure though.

Has anyone seen the supposed rumor about Nintendo's next gen plans? There was a post today from one of those rumor sites that may or may not be credible at all, but its a funny spec list to look over:

http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01/nintendo-fusion-could-be-nintendos-next-gen-hardware-name/

I have both a PS4 and a Wii U, and I have to say at this point I think the Wii U is more fun.  Neither has a ton of games, but the ones that are out for the Wii U are more fun in my opinion.  I personally think Nintendo should drop the Game Pad all together and instead package a Wii U Pro controller.  The only thing my Game Pad gets used for is to operate the thing when necessary.  Other than that I always use the Pro Controller.  Dump the pad, lower the price to $199, and get some more games on the shelves and the thing would sell like hotcakes.  

more and better variety of games; a price drop on the console is nice but unless those two items are real, this console is going to fade away.

Oh and while Nintendo did made some serious mistakes in the past (cartridges in the N64, underpowered Wii), the very fact that those mistakes had the same solutions (good portfolio of games) just shows that having a new console without great games isn't going to help them.

Not a bad list to consider. I'm not sure of the ultimate cure though.

Has anyone seen the supposed rumor about Nintendo's next gen plans? There was a post today from one of those rumor sites that may or may not be credible at all, but its a funny spec list to look over:

http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01/nintendo-fusion-could-be-nintendos-next-gen-hardware-name/

I don't really believe that. So much of that doesn't sound realistic at all.