ummm, no it really doesn't play like all other MMO's.

it's kind of like ESO in that it requires a lot of finger juggling because you have to use WASD at the same time as 1-4. except in this this you need to do it even more and you need to use 1-8 while strafing with WASD. Among other things. There's also soem weird issues regarding how some attacks work but...

I dunno. I guess I just have more dexterity than you. Been playing FPS games for years and using wasd with 1-8 wasn't ever an issue. So now its a different genre but the controls are very typical.

I dunno. I guess I just have more dexterity than you. Been playing FPS games for years and using wasd with 1-8 wasn't ever an issue. So now its a different genre but the controls are very typical.

FPS games you only occasionally use 1-8. in this game it's how you do every attack, it's like the left mouse button in an FPS. 

as for a Razer Naga, nah I'd never ditch my G900 for that. 

ummm, no it really doesn't play like all other MMO's. 

it's kind of like ESO in that it requires a lot of finger juggling because you have to use WASD at the same time as 1-4. except in this this you need to do it even more and you need to use 1-8 while strafing with WASD. Among other things. There's also soem weird issues regarding how some attacks work but...

How is that not "like all other MMO's"? The most popular type of MMO game is MMORPG, RPG games in general have multiple different attacks that are bound to different keys. Pretty much every RPG since the early days has worked that way, so how is a game that uses 1-8 while moving/strafing any different than all the other games that do the same thing?

If you are referring to the real-time combat rather than the older style MMORPG of push a button and it auto-targets and hits the enemy, then yes, it is different.....but welcome to the newer MMORPG age where they are moving to the faster paced, more controlled real-time combat systems.

Honestly the older style worked partially the way it did (push a button, your character positions themselves and rolls a check to see if it hit or not) as a consequence of the technology, back when 56k modems were popular, real-time combat didn't work that well, especially when it was also handling potentially hundreds of players in the same area. What you are seeing is a consequence of improving technology, allowing developers to move away from archaic combat systems and give you much more tactical control over your character.

RPG-><-RPG/FPS hybrids-><-FPS ( use FPS here only as an illustration, TPS would be more accurate but it doesn't matter cause it's the gamestyle of twitch and player skill over character skill that's important)

in this scale this game is close to the middle then the left.

an RPG worked the way it did because it's an rpg. it's your characters skill, not yours. 

Not saying that makes it a bad game, but it makes it not an plain MMORPG. but at best a MMOARPG. 

Not saying that makes it a bad game, but it makes it not an plain MMORPG. but at best a MMOARPG. 

Bingo, Action RPG.....which is a sub-genre of RPG. It doesn't play exactly like a standard RPG because it is not a standard RPG....though it shares many similarities with RPG games. Practically the only thing that makes it different than a standard RPG is real-time action. Everything else is virtually the same as any other RPG out there.

But using a blanket statement of "it doesn't play like all other MMO's" is completely incorrect. Not all MMOs are RPG-only, there are other action-rpg games that play exactly like wildstar, therefore it does play exactly like (some) other MMOs.

Even disregarding the real-time combat, many other STANDARD MMORPGs require you to move around while using 1-8 (and many more).....take WoW for example, many encounters have game mechanics that require you to do more than stand head-on with the enemy and push 1-8. Therefore by that standard, Wildstar requires no more dexterity than any other MMO out there. The only thing Wildstar requires that other MMOs do not, is the ability to use your primary hand to control your aim, but even then there is a setting to auto-aim in PVE so you don't even have to do that (you can play it like any other standard MMO).

Well, right now I think the thing to focus on is that Wildstar is in Open Beta. Now is a great time to promote that so everyone gets the opportunity to play it. I'm a huge advocate on playing games before buying them. I have personally spent over 2000$ on games that I played once or twice and thats it. Had I used earlier opportunities to play a game for free in a beta phase I could have saved a good chunk of change. 

Even if the game doesn't SEEM like something you'd like, if you have unlimited bandwidth, try it out. I personally haven't enjoyed an MMO this much ever. I have had a handful of friends play the game thinking they wouldn't like it and now they've preordered. It IS a good game. As are all of the AAA MMO's out there. Question is, will it be AAA to you? Some games, like ESO, are boring and not fun at all to me. Does that make it a bad game? No. I'd gladly recommend it to a friend who is interested in that style of MMO.

Just... TRY it. You'll never know if you don't.

It's going to be F2P soon enough. the market for P2P MMO's is rapidly diminishing, especially with the abundance of high quality F2P MMO's nowadays with the otpion to subscribe for full access. 

I watched a recent video on WildStar Raiding and it looks pretty neat. They pride themselves on the difficulty of their raids. It'll be interesting to test out in anycase. :)

Free to pay... Pay to play it still is better to me than the other mmo's that are out. I can't wait until release to put some real time into the game. Its hard playing betas extensively when you know you'll lose it all anyway. In that note I think games should give rewards to players who play betas all the way through

• 3 weeks later...

They have set up 2 factor authentication now, so if you are going to play go set it up now. :)

You can use Microsoft's Authenticator if you have a Windows Phone. Just scan the bar code or type in the code.

See you in game....but not until Sunday! :(

If anyone has a guest pass they wouldn't mind sending my way I'd certainly appreciate it.  I really want to try this before I commit.

I got into the beta but I was out of town and missed it.  Looks awesome from what I've seen.

If anyone has a guest pass they wouldn't mind sending my way I'd certainly appreciate it.  I really want to try this before I commit.

I got into the beta but I was out of town and missed it.  Looks awesome from what I've seen.

I'd be more than willing to send you one if I just knew where to get them...Give me a few to look around. At work so I may not get a chance to find it.

Turns out they're holding off on getting them out there for a bit. The servers are feeling the weight of all the new players. Almost every one of them is full to capacity.

PM Sent

I have two more passes to anyone that wants one.

• Like 1

Why am i really tempted by this game? Hawk, explain it to me!

Should i get it? Is it going to be a time sink?

Why am i really tempted by this game? Hawk, explain it to me!

Should i get it? Is it going to be a time sink?

I dunno. It never really "gripped" me, the videos and stuff looked cool enough but playing it I never felt like I "had" to play more. or even wanted to. 

I can't put a finger on why, but I'd probably have to sya it's probably the lore and story, as much as there was none. it's a new IP with no established lore and story and what they presented wasn't gripping me. whereas I could probably play a lesser game gameplay and graphics wise more if it had more interesting lore and story or was based on something Iiked. It eems like the main focus of the developers of this game was to make cute anime like races with expressive cute faces, and where all the females have thin waists and huge boobies and all have the same jailbait sexy pose stature. 

I mean you have males of all the races who vary WILDLY in looks and physical build. from the huge bulky to the bent back ones. but the females of all the species share the same build. the only difference is how tall they are. They're not massively bulky like the stone men, or have hunched backs like the whatever the race was men. even the robot ladies... They chose one race to not have sex.... and it wasn't the robots... WTF!!!

• Like 1

PM Sent

I have two more passes to anyone that wants one.

I'll take one, would really like to try it before committing $$ to it.

I'll take one, would really like to try it before committing $$ to it.

PM Sent.

I dunno. It never really "gripped" me, the videos and stuff looked cool enough but playing it I never felt like I "had" to play more. or even wanted to. 

I can't put a finger on why, but I'd probably have to sya it's probably the lore and story, as much as there was none. it's a new IP with no established lore and story and what they presented wasn't gripping me. whereas I could probably play a lesser game gameplay and graphics wise more if it had more interesting lore and story or was based on something Iiked. It eems like the main focus of the developers of this game was to make cute anime like races with expressive cute faces, and where all the females have thin waists and huge boobies and all have the same jailbait sexy pose stature. 

I mean you have males of all the races who vary WILDLY in looks and physical build. from the huge bulky to the bent back ones. but the females of all the species share the same build. the only difference is how tall they are. They're not massively bulky like the stone men, or have hunched backs like the whatever the race was men. even the robot ladies... They chose one race to not have sex.... and it wasn't the robots... WTF!!!

Thanks for the quick reply! I think it is the look of it..though neither the dominion nor the exiles seem to sport overly huge mammaries. Maybe i'm just craving something social, colorful, and immersive? But you say it didn't grab you, so it's not that immersive. For $60 standard version...will require some thinking.

I liked the colorful overly expressive races as well before I started playing. but... eh... I think this is a game you can't know if you'll like until you try it. 

If however you are in a dry rut on MMORPGs ad don't feel like playing any of the ones you have atm, then don't bother. it's not going to bring you out of the rut. 

I liked the colorful overly expressive races as well before I started playing. but... eh... I think this is a game you can't know if you'll like until you try it. 

If however you are in a dry rut on MMORPGs ad don't feel like playing any of the ones you have atm, then don't bother. it's not going to bring you out of the rut. 

Thanks for the advice man, i think you're right. Not a huge MMORPG person as it is, and $60 is $60 (or equivalent). Appreciate the counsel!

Thanks for the advice man, i think you're right. Not a huge MMORPG person as it is, and $60 is $60 (or equivalent). Appreciate the counsel!

There's a very good chance it will be on sale at one place or another in the next 3 or 4 months anyways.