PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

I thought the whole problem was that 900p/30fps isn't good enough, but it's fine now?  Are we just going to move this performance bar around when it's convenient?

Well I don't think everyone is ok with it, but some people are more understanding and willing to accept it. The reaction they give to situations like this give you a good indication of where they fall.

I thought the whole problem was that 900p/30fps isn't good enough, but it's fine now?  Are we just going to move this performance bar around when it's convenient? 

Apparently whatever the ps4 is doing is the "bar" and since a lot of games have started coming out at 900p instead of 1080p they had to adjust their bar for argument sake to 900p lol...  At least as far as ive seen on other tech forums.  Though its still not ok that Ryse is 900p to ps4 fanboys.

Anyways yeah if you are not playing the game and your just running around examining stuff the ps4 version is going to be better for you and is hte console you should have.  If you are going to play a game seriously it really does not matter and you should just get the console that has the exclusives you prefer.  Or just get them all.   From my experience if you are strictly a console gamer and dont really do much on a pc then you wont notice a single difference or even think about looking for it unless your talking about the 360 or ps3 you had before.    If your into pc games then you might notice stuff because you should already be very familiar with resolution and framerates because running pc games is far more complicated dealing with drivers and settings.    

Performance would be key for a fighting game, no?

I'd care more if it were a twitchy game like Super Smash Bros.

Hope you're not talking to me, because I honestly don't give a crap about the argument. I'm simply comparing a product I'm interested in on consoles A and B. If you left both consoles unnamed, and gave the statement that one looks distinctly better, loads faster, while the other console having a slight performance advantage... I dunno, it seems like a no-brainer decision for me. Feel free to disagree though.

At the end of the day, they're simply just plastic game boxes stuck with the same hardware for the next 8 years or so.

Uncharted 4, 1080p. 'targetting' 60 FPS

That?s Nathan Drake rendered in full 1080p glory, using the power of our PS4 engine. All footage you see in the trailer was captured completely in engine. We?re targeting 60fps for Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End, and as you can see, the visual fidelity for our character models will reach new heights. In fact, thanks to the power of PS4, right now Drake?s Uncharted 4 model is over double the polygons of Joel from The Last of Us PS3.

The next generation of Nathan Drake is going to be very real and will explore what it means when Drake is forced back into the world of thieves. He will embark on a globe-trotting journey in pursuit of a historical conspiracy behind a fabled pirate treasure. It?s his greatest adventure yet and will test his physical limits, his resolve, and ultimately what he?s willing to sacrifice to save the ones he loves.

Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End is available for pre-order right now. Stay tuned ? we?ll have more information in the coming months.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/09/e3-14-uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-trailer/#comments

• Like 3

That trailer looks amazing.  Now that Xbox one and PS4 are the same price, I am just waiting for GTA to announce how they'll run.  That's the game that decides it for me.  I want halo, but I'm not buying a system that preforms like old gen (720p). 

They mentioned during the keynote that they will all be 1080p at 60fps.

Edit:  Dammit.  Saw Bungie and immediately thought Halo... D'oh!

They mentioned during the keynote that they will all be 1080p at 60fps.

Edit:  Dammit.  Saw Bungie and immediately thought Halo... D'oh!

The 343i guys are crying man, CRYING!

Anyways, should be interesting to see how this update pans out, I think games that were close to 1080p like at 900p will get the boost they need to hit it.  

Battlefield Hardline Will Run At 1080p/60fps On Xbox One

http://gamingbolt.com/battlefield-hardline-will-run-at-1080p60fps-on-xbox-one

Great news, hopefully the first of many.

Edit - although reading the article the guy they've quoted as saying it'll be the same says that it "should be the same" and both versions "should be locked in together"

Should doesn't sound the same was will run at... :/

I'm just a cynic :P

Great news, hopefully the first of many.

Edit - although reading the article the guy they've quoted as saying it'll be the same says that it "should be the same" and both versions "should be locked in together"

Should doesn't sound the same was will run at... :/

I'm just a cynic :P

Should is far from definitive. People are only going to let themselves down if they misquote people and its not the same. Why not just report it as its said?

From 'it should' to 'it will'....

Should is far from definitive. People are only going to let themselves down if they misquote people and its not the same. Why not just report it as its said?

Exactly, this will kick up a storm now if it doesn't hit 1080/60

Considering the beta is 900p, you're completely right. 

If I had to pick between higher FPS or higher resolution I would pick FPS everytime. I find a game at 720p60 a nicer visual experience than 1080p60. I wish we saw more devs concentrate on faster than higher res.

If I had to pick between higher FPS or higher resolution I would pick FPS everytime. I find a game at 720p60 a nicer visual experience than 1080p60. I wish we saw more devs concentrate on faster than higher res.

900/60 is a good trade off to hit 60, but 720p would be a joke this generation.

900/60 is a good trade off to hit 60, but 720p would be a joke this generation.

It is a good tradeoff if it is a multiplayer game, a racing game or a fighting game.

If it is something like Tomb Raider or Alan Wake i'd rather have 1080p30 with slightly better AA quality personally.

I think some people don't realise how much of a difference 30 fps and 60 fps are. I run most of my pc games at around 45-50 fps. To go from a solid 45fps to a solid 60fps i have to disable or tune down so much settings it is simply not worth it. To have a solid 60fps in Tomb Raider i have to use FXAA, disable TressFX and tune down some other settings by a notch. And even then the fps dip below 60 here and there. It is not worth it.

I might be wrong never actually tried it but i would but surprised changing the res from 1080 to 900 would be enough to go from 30fps to 60fps. You would probably need to tune down some other settings too. Might be wrong like i said did not try it.

• Like 2

Let's say you have a room that needs to be painted.

After assessing the situation, it is determined that 2 gallons of paint are needed to paint the room properly and to have a nice, even, pleasing to the eye paint of coat throughout the room itself.

No doubt there are a few options one could take in order to get away with painting the room with only 1 gallon of paint. You may even believe initially that deciding you can get away with painting the room with 1 gallon is reason enough to celebrate. 

However choosing to paint the room with only 1 gallon means that inevitably sacrifices need to be made. The room simply is just not going to look as good as if it was painted with 2 gallons.

I present this example for those of you are loyalists to the XBox movement and now believe that the One will have parity with the PS4 from a graphical standpoint. Keep this example in mind as there is a very distinct possibility that even though resolution may be increased in certain games, only 1 gallon of paint is being used to cover the room instead of 2. Sacrifices will be made.

I present this example for those of you are loyalists to the XBox movement and now believe that the One will have parity with the PS4 from a graphical standpoint. Keep this example in mind as there is a very distinct possibility that even though resolution may be increased in certain games, only 1 gallon of paint is being used to cover the room instead of 2. Sacrifices will be made.

Ok, who made the claim in this thread that improving the resolution of X1 games was equal to 'parity' with the visual effects possible on the ps4?

You seem to be on a tare lately taking on the 'ghosts' of loyalists as you put it.

So far in this thread, the only comments made are that developers are improving X1 games. That is a good thing by the way. Why make such an effort to 'remind' everyone to 'not get so excited'? Sure, if silly comments are made that claim something more, its natural to correct, but where is that in this thread?

Its crazy how positive news like this would result in such negative reactions. Destiny going from 900 to 1080 is a good thing for example.

Let's say you have a room that needs to be painted.
After assessing the situation, it is determined that 2 gallons of paint are needed to paint the room properly and to have a nice, even, pleasing to the eye paint of coat throughout the room itself.
No doubt there are a few options one could take in order to get away with painting the room with only 1 gallon of paint. You may even believe initially that deciding you can get away with painting the room with 1 gallon is reason enough to celebrate. 
However choosing to paint the room with only 1 gallon means that inevitably sacrifices need to be made. The room simply is just not going to look as good as if it was painted with 2 gallons.

Not that all these updates and dx12 will make it equal or better than ps4 suddenly but they idea is to not make sacrifices as they would rather knock it down to 900p than use less paint to make it 1080p and supposedly they have done that with destiny.  Obviously there will always be some differences as they have to use different techniques to reach the same goals since they use 2 different set of APIs.  Its like every time someone says something that is deemed pro xbox there 2 or 3 people that feel the need to take up arms and post replies about how wrong they are and how powerful the ps4 is in comparison and then start a back and forth war about it lol.  

So if the goal is 1080p and 60 fps, though devs can do 30fps depending on the game as seen on both systems, then with the June update getting games closer if not all the way there, the DX12 update next year will do it.    The only difference I expect to see in time is different levels of post-processing, PS4 could be doing 4xMSAA while the XB1 versions do 2xMSAA and so on but bother at the same res.

We'll know in time.

hes talking about the ps4 version. pixel counters are saying the beta is 900p.

Had a google search, can't find anything, do you have a link? Everywhere says 1080/60.