Assigning static WAN IP addresses on Asus RT-N66U

Hi,

I've just purchased an Asus RT-N66U router and am trying to configure my multiple IP addresses (I have a block of 8, or rather 5 usable IPs)

On my previous router I ran the following:

:ip ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=IP4/29 addroute=enabled
:ip ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=IP3/29 addroute=enabled
:ip ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=IP2/29 addroute=enabled
:ip ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=IP1/29 addroute=enabled
:ip ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=IP0/29 addroute=enabled
:ip ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=IP9/29 addroute=enabled
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr IP4 weight 1 index=0
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP9 inside_addr=192.168.1.50 weight=120 access_list IP9
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP9 inside_addr=192.168.1.50 weight=120 access_list 192.168.1.50
:saveall

:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP0 inside_addr=192.168.1.51 weight=120 access_list IP0
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP0 inside_addr=192.168.1.51 weight=120 access_list 192.168.1.51
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP1 inside_addr=192.168.1.52 weight=120 access_list IP1
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP1 inside_addr=192.168.1.52 weight=120 access_list 192.168.1.52
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP2 inside_addr=192.168.1.53 weight=120 access_list IP2
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP2 inside_addr=192.168.1.53 weight=120 access_list 192.168.1.53
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP3 inside_addr=192.168.1.54 weight=120 access_list IP3
:nat mapadd intf=Static outside_addr=IP3 inside_addr=192.168.1.54 weight=120 access_list 192.168.1.54
:service system ipdelete name=TELNET ip=149.255.104.16
:saveall

Someone helped me configure it, and honestly I don't know where to start in writing that for the new router, or if it's even required?

Has anyone used one of the Asus routers (firmware version 3.0.0.4.374_979-gbc8961e) and successfully managed to configure multiple WAN IP addresses? I was hoping there would be something in the control panel, but I can't find anything.

Thanks!

you sure the native supports multiple IPs be wan or even lan?  You might have to put 3rd party on it to get that kind of feature.  I believe dd-wrt is supported on that router - that would support it.

really - you upload a file via a webgui - how would you have issues with doing that?

Principle steps
  • Clear settings (Clear NVRAM) select Factory Default settings
  • Install the INITIAL ASUS RT-N66U version of DD-WRT (file name ends in .trx) using either the Web GUI method or the Recover Utility method. Both methods are described below
  • "Upgrade" to your final version of DD-WRT (filename ends in .bin) using Web GUI or Recovery Utility
Note: is IMPORTANT to clear NVRAM (to select Factory Default settings) BEFORE and AFTER upload of any new firmware.

Thanks Bud, seems like it could be fairly straight forward but the talk of bricking the unit on there is worrying... seems like it might be my only option though!

Don't be afraid. This is one of the easiest routers to put DD wrt on. Normally you put tftp or a number of things to flash a router with DD wrt. Your getting off easy. Take your chances you'll be fine. If you bought it from a retail outlet even better. If you happen to brick it take it back and exchange it. Say it worked for a day and quit.

I had a friend who did this once with best buy because he bricked his Linksys wrt160n. What he didn't realize was it was a soft brick and easy to recover but the next one he got he tried again and it worked. He took his time and didn't rub into issues. Always be patient when flashing. With your router even after the status bar is at 100 give it 5 minutes. I flashed 2 last weekend and I just let it sit for 5 minutes. This is just my safety time before I pull the plug or do a 30/30/30

Thanks - to be honest despite buying the router new (and sealed) from Amazon it came with an odd SSID name, and the admin password wasn't default, so obviously it is not a new device... I'll install DD-WRT tonight but the fact it came without factory defaults shows it wasn't even tested, unbelieveable they've passed it off as a new router when it's clearly a refurb of sorts! 

Thanks trek, going to try installing DD-WRT tonight.

Actually, looking around it seems like asuswrt-merlin could be a good option... have any of you guys used that?

Why are you doing NAT if you have static public IPs?

I could be completely wrong on this (I'm useless with networking etc) but I previously had a setup which wasn't NAT and it meant I could only have 5 devices working at a time. I want all of my other devices (phone, laptop etc) to share an IP, but then my development virtual machines to have their own fixed IP

What you'd want is to setup 2 VLANs, one for natted devices, and another for devices with public IPs. The public VLAN gets public addresses and no NAT, while everything else goes through your NAT and appears as normal.

This setup (mapping a private IP to a public IP) would be nicer in that you don't have to change your network layout much, but it suffers from an issue where changing the IP of a system can expose it to the internet, when that should really be down to how the network is laid out.

Does tomato support more than 1 wan IP?  And I find it hard to believe it supports the Asus 66N router??

Quick google and it does

http://tomatousb.org/tut:setup-multiple-static-public-ips

I knew it support multiple lan right in the gui

post-14624-0-02520700-1391689496.png

I knew dd-wrt has a wiki article on how to do multiple wan

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/One-to-one_NAT

While I like tomato, I don't think it is supported on that router - maybe someone has changed that lately?

For a first time third-party firmware user, I'd recommend Tomato rather than DD-WRT.

More info here: http://tomato.groov.pl/

Download for RT-N66U here: http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-116-EN/Asus%20RT-N66u%2064k/tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-116-AIO-64K.trx

Only 1 WAN IP supported (so doesn't fit the bill)

EDIT: Budman ninja'd me :P

Take 2nd look - its does support it, atleast the tomato usb version.. Quick google found it for me, I edited my post to show link to how to do it.

And looks like that router is supported per you link - nice.. Well then yeah that is an option..  Nothing against tomato, I run it on one of AP, and dd-wrt on the other ;)

Thanks all for the responses, decryptor would that require 2 different modems?

Tomato looks very good too... have to say I'm tempted due to the more user friendly interface, and from Bud's screenshot it looks like it might do exactly what I need it to.

One other option is Asuswrt-Merlin which basically expands on the stock Asus firmware but fixes some bugs and adds some functionality, including the ability to route IP addresses like this.

I think, for me personally, it's between those two... dd-wrt looks fantastic, but also I think I'd be very much out of my depth with it (even more than I already am)

If the asuswrt-merlin does what you want and has easy interface go that route.. If and when you run into something it doesn't do then try another 3rd party.  That is why I would never buy a wireless router that is not supported by 3rd party.

Native firmware is always so limited, and once their next round of models come out - its rare that they go back and add features or even bug fix.  While 3rd party is always constantly being worked on, atleast dd-wrt

Ah just looked - new build 02-04-2014-r23503 of dd-wrt is out.. Might as well update before heading off to work ;)

Thank you very much Bud, I think Merlin is my favourite pick of the three just because like you said it stays very close to the native firmware, just improved in many ways. If not, I'll bite the bullet and go for dd-wrt/Tomato :)

Hello,

Ah just looked - new build 02-04-2014-r23503 of dd-wrt is out.. Might as well update before heading off to work ;)

I dont understand why DD-WRT never implemented a decent update system; You update, same configs get restored, new configs/changed get overwritten to default, etc.

Its always 30/30/30....

I do not reset my settings and have never had issue one..  Sure its suggested, but have never seen a change in my configs or any issues and have been using it for years and years on multiple pieces of hardware. 

Hello,

I do not reset my settings and have never had issue one..  Sure its suggested, but have never seen a change in my configs or any issues and have been using it for years and years on multiple pieces of hardware.

What router do you flash it on? Didnt read the multiple pieces of hardware.

I may do it the next time on my TP-Link (well, next time, when I finally reconfig the network :laugh : )

They always suggest a reset, but I just upgraded to the build dated 2/4 this morning - and all it took was simple upload and the router (ap in my case) rebooted and bing bang up and running again with all my previous settings.

Now if you run into some issues - then sure clear the nvram couldn't hurt - but more than likely you really don't need to do that.. Might be good idea on first setup from factory firmware to dd-wrt, or when changing 3rd party from dd-wrt to openwrt or tomato, etc.

Give it a try next time and see how it goes.  This morning was on a tp-link 3600, took all of couple of minutes to move to the new build.

OpenWRT doesn't use the nvram anymore (Used to in earlier revisions, was a pain), the most it's used for these days is the bootloader. On my router I just attached an old USB thumb drive and use that for settings, upgrading is so much easier now so downtime is like 5 minutes.

Thanks all for the responses, decryptor would that require 2 different modems?

Tomato looks very good too... have to say I'm tempted due to the more user friendly interface, and from Bud's screenshot it looks like it might do exactly what I need it to.

One other option is Asuswrt-Merlin which basically expands on the stock Asus firmware but fixes some bugs and adds some functionality, including the ability to route IP addresses like this.

I think, for me personally, it's between those two... dd-wrt looks fantastic, but also I think I'd be very much out of my depth with it (even more than I already am)

No, since the router is still doing NAT the 2 VLANs inside the network would be hidden, outside systems would just see the NAT traffic as originating from the router, while other traffic would be originating from the public IPs

Thank you all very much for the responses, thanks to a kind fella at the Merlin forums it's all working fine now, although it was a bit of a pain to configure (he remoted in and helped me out big time, some of the commands he was running... not sure I would have even known where to start!)