PS4 sold for

PS4 sold for ?20 under Sony?s RRP at GameStop UK

Wednesday, 12th February 2014 10:27 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 consoles are being sold below Sony?s RRP at GameStop UK?s online store. The hardware will cost you ?329.97, down from the typical ?349.99 asking price.

Eurogamer reports that the deal applies to solus consoles packs, which include the unit itself and a DualShock 4 controller. It?s the first time we?ve seen a retailer go under Sony?s set price.

Both GameStop UK and Zavvi have taken the same approach to Xbox One, pelting ?20 off Microsoft?s RRP.

Would you buy either console at this discount? Let us know below.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/12/ps4-sold-for-20-under-sonys-rrp-at-gamestop-uk/

As is predicted, X1 tries to play catch up on price, Sony move the goal posts. This will always be in PS4's favour just as 360 was last gen.

Good timing ahead of inFamous and some attention away from Titanfall for some though.

As is predicted, X1 tries to play catch up on price, Sony move the goal posts. This will always be in PS4's favour just as 360 was last gen.

Good timing ahead of inFamous and some attention away from Titanfall for some though.

That is true, but then some people were claiming that the price drop on the X1 was a sign of its poor sales.

Of course we all know that is not true for the ps4.

The reality is much simpler: retailers are pushing sales of popular devices to get people into their stores

I don't understand.  The price drop on the Xbox happened a couple of weeks ago.  How are they playing catch up?

Good price for the console, but at this point you've missed Resogun and Don't Starve on PS Plus (if you're new to PS/Plus).

OOS again as well :/ Stock woes continue.

Saying this is Sony moving the goalposts and trying to make it out as a victory for them is naive and misleading, this is a price drop at one retailer not across the board so it's not Sony reacting at all.

Wasn't it Gamestop who dropped the Xbox price as well while it stayed RRP elsewhere?

If anything this says more about the amount of people shopping at GameStop UK in general than about the sales of either of these consoles.

That being said, PS4 is selling exceptionally well at least here in the UK. They've really done well for themselves.

I don't even...did Microsoft announce a price drop or something? I highly doubt infamous is going to make any dent in Titanfall.

Indeed! When the hell did that happen??

The website has been around for a few years now, i found it back in 2010 when looking for a good price for Gears 3.

I think GameStop have a few stores in Ireland and the Midlands. I believe it's mainly on-line based though, i've found them to often have some good pre-order deals anyway.

That is true, but then some people were claiming that the price drop on the X1 was a sign of its poor sales.

Of course we all know that is not true for the ps4.

The reality is much simpler: retailers are pushing sales of popular devices to get people into their stores

Not me :p Just our market is more free to compete on prices than in US.

I don't understand.  The price drop on the Xbox happened a couple of weeks ago.  How are they playing catch up?

The price of the X1 is higher, so they drop it to even it out. Then Sony drop the price when they like, and they're back to square one. It happened all last generation with PS3 and 360 too, but other way round. I'm sure neither of these are official drops, but it's all the same at end of the day.

Saying this is Sony moving the goalposts and trying to make it out as a victory for them is naive and misleading, this is a price drop at one retailer not across the board so it's not Sony reacting at all.

Wasn't it Gamestop who dropped the Xbox price as well while it stayed RRP elsewhere?

If anything this says more about the amount of people shopping at GameStop UK in general than about the sales of either of these consoles.

That being said, PS4 is selling exceptionally well at least here in the UK. They've really done well for themselves.

I'm not saying it's a victory, but it is a reaction to the X1 price drop. It'll continue throughout this generation until at least one of them adds/removes something from the box. At least the X1 will have the cheaper RAM to soften it. In the UK sales like this cause a copy-cat ripple. You can then get Amazon to price match etc. Zavvi and Gamestop aren't related so it wasn't a group decision to lower X1 RRP.

I don't even...did Microsoft announce a price drop or something? I highly doubt infamous is going to make any dent in Titanfall.

An unofficial price drop in UK happened a few weeks ago.

Indeed! When the hell did that happen??

I remember the website being introduced in 2011 I think. But Ireland has had Gamestop for much longer then a small physical presence in England a few years ago.

Just our market is more free to compete on prices than in US.

Really? Why do you say that?

An unofficial price drop in UK happened a few weeks ago.

Wasn't that just a retailer sale like this one? Are you claiming that its a permanent price drop in the UK?

Really? Why do you say that?

Wasn't that just a retailer sale like this one? Are you claiming that its a permanent price drop in the UK?

Retailers are allowed to set the price based off the RRP.

Still the same price now: http://www.zavvi.com/xbox-one-console/xbox-one-new-console/10875706.html

Whereas you guys are told what to sell at, full stop :p Makes up for that whole ? = $ thing ;) :laugh:

Little interesting article for you to read more here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-a-new-generation-a-new-price-point-for-games

Retailers are allowed to set the price based off the RRP.

Still the same price now: http://www.zavvi.com/xbox-one-console/xbox-one-new-console/10875706.html

Whereas you guys are told what to sell at, full stop :p Makes up for that whole ? = $ thing ;) :laugh:

Little interesting article for you to read more here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-a-new-generation-a-new-price-point-for-games

Ah ok.

But your not exactly correct about how sales work here. Retailers here often offer discounts on things like the new consoles or on games before there is some official price drop. Amazon is notorious for doing that.

Maybe the sales don't last as long as they do in the UK, but retailers are clearly not legally bound to stick to MSRP pricing.

Ah ok.

But your not exactly correct about how sales work here. Retailers here often offer discounts on things like the new consoles or on games before there is some official price drop. Amazon is notorious for doing that.

Maybe the sales don't last as long as they do in the UK, but retailers are clearly not legally bound to stick to MSRP pricing.

Yeah but AFAIK those are limited and not permanent? These aren't "sales" in the UK and The Hut (Zavvi) aren't hurting for money

These prices are now usually the new unoffiicial price in the UK. Once someone takes the plunge the others usually follow or you can at least price match them, because our market is so competitive in comparison. If you don't keep up, you end up like GAME. Now Google their name and "Administration 2012" and you'll see what I mean :p

I'm not saying it's a victory, but it is a reaction to the X1 price drop. It'll continue throughout this generation until at least one of them adds/removes something from the box. At least the X1 will have the cheaper RAM to soften it. In the UK sales like this cause a copy-cat ripple. You can then get Amazon to price match etc. Zavvi and Gamestop aren't related so it wasn't a group decision to lower X1 RRP.

I'm not sure that's true.  Gamestop lowered the price of the X1 by ?20 and then the same store lowered the price of the PS4 by the same amount.

This isn't a widespread price drop on either console so this simply amounts to Gamestop lowering their margin on it - there hasn't been any official drop or reaction by either party at all.

I'm not sure that's true.  Gamestop lowered the price of the X1 by ?20 and then the same store lowered the price of the PS4 by the same amount.

This isn't a widespread price drop on either console so this simply amounts to Gamestop lowering their margin on it - there hasn't been any official drop or reaction by either party at all.

As I've been explaining, our market does not need official green lights to lower the prices. They can do it whenever they like by how much they like. Obviously they don't want to take a hit so you're not going to see them drop ?100 and lose thousands just for the hell of it.

And again, Gamestop and The Hut aren't connected. They're competing with each other on price. You can also fill out a form online for other retailers to price match it. You can then get even more off using 3rd party websites, but that's another discussion :p

Yeah but AFAIK those are limited and not permanent? These aren't "sales" in the UK and The Hut (Zavvi) aren't hurting for money

AFAIK, retailers here are allowed to go lower than the MSRP as they see fit. Is there some info out there that says US retailers are bound by the MSRP?

It sounds like in the UK the shops are more willing to be aggressively competitive on price to push sales for a long time or to make them semi-permanent.

AFAIK, retailers here are allowed to go lower than the MSRP as they see fit. Is there some info out there that says US retailers are bound by the MSRP?

It sounds like in the UK the shops are more willing to be aggressively competitive on price to push sales for a long time or to make them semi-permanent.

You'd know more about it than me :p

My point is Microsoft say the Xbox One costs $X, everyone has to sell it at $X

Microsoft then tells UK the Xbox One costs ?Y, everyone sells it for ?Z.

There has to be some difference or you guys would see the price drops that we do.

Yeah but you just proved my point retailers set the prices not the manufacturers so Sony haven't reacted to anything one retailer did it and other retailers will do as they see fit. Sony haven't done anything with their recommended retail price because otherwise the likes of amazon would have dropped.

You'd know more about it than me :p

My point is Microsoft say the Xbox One costs $X, everyone has to sell it at $X

Microsoft then tells UK the Xbox One costs ?Y, everyone sells it for ?Z.

There has to be some difference or you guys would see the price drops that we do.

Even in the UK, those retailers start out selling at the suggested price.

The UK retailers just seem more willing to drop the prices permanently vs US retailers that like to use shorter sales to bring in customers over and over. It could just be different tactics by retailers in the US vs the UK. If someone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it.

Would you say that in general, UK retailers don't engage in a lot of 'sales' that come and go? Do they tend to just drop prices and that's it?

Yeah but you just proved my point retailers set the prices not the manufacturers so Sony haven't reacted to anything one retailer did it and other retailers will do as they see fit. Sony haven't done anything with their recommended retail price because otherwise the likes of amazon would have dropped.

I've already said I'm talking about unofficial drops on the last page. It actually goes back to a conversation I had with Trooper a few weeks ago.

Sorry for the confusion :p

Even in the UK, those retailers start out selling at the suggested price.

The UK retailers just seem more willing to drop the prices permanently vs US retailers that like to use shorter sales to bring in customers over and over. It could just be different tactics by retailers in the US vs the UK. If someone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it.

Would you say that in general, UK retailers don't engage in a lot of 'sales' that come and go? Do they tend to just drop prices and that's it?

Not true. The retailers decide on the prices amongst themselves. They could all agree on ?1 if they really wanted, but of course wouldn't for obvious reasons. Talking extremes here.

And your last line is exactly what happens. I bought my Wii U for ?200~ last February (from The Hut no less), and it never went back up, and as we know Nintendo don't do price drops (at least lightly). They dropped the price in America in August IIRC, but in the UK we already had that price 6 months earlier.