Ad Blocker

Question

Advertisement Blocking.

Glorifying the fact in posts here on Neowin is strictly forbidden. We understand that some members could not care less to display advertisements on any website, and therefore block a stream of revenue that is required to keep this site running. We can not do much about that but please do not glorify the fact.

We have a subscription package that professionally removes all advertisements from Neowin for a small annual fee. We never ask members to click advertisements, and for those that do; we greatly appreciate this. Simply allowing the advertisement to load (without clicking on it) also returns revenue for the site. If you feel that you can not whitelist Neowin or afford the subscription but would like to contribute, you are very welcome to donate via PayPal to subscribe@neowin.net and make a post here.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Fairly warned be thee, says I.

Most people use this but it does not block applications ads. Like in Skype.

Skype doesn't run inside firefox, so no it obviously won't block adverts in skype...

Does it block application ads too and is it free to try?

If I specify applications by process in the browser section, yes (it doesn't matter if it says browser - it'll work for any executable specified). And yes, it's free to try.

ABP for Chrome however, i have some crazy rules setup to whitelist certain websites but block certain elements within them as well as blocking certain websites while allowing certain elements and a whole lot of other stuff in there.

For years I didn't run any Ad Block software. The reasoning for this was pretty straightforward. I don't think it is fair to consume content without properly compensating the creator. The obvious reasoning is if you don't ensure there is value in the content you enjoy it will eventually cease to exist. Now that I do run Ad Block Plus I haven't changed in that viewpoint. For sites I visit regularly I will buy a subscription or donate if there is an option. I feel that it is better for the sites if they aren't imprisoned by ad sellers.

I was eventually driven to Ad Block Plus to combat two major issues I was starting to encounter on the Web. The first issue was the obtrusive nature of many ads that were appearing on sites. The full screen popovers with automatic playing video really made it hard for me to enjoy being on the web. Not to mention the ads that embedded themselves in pages based on keywords that confused the user as to when they were about to click a legitimate link or an ad. The second issue was the proliferation of Twitter and Facebook "share" and "like" buttons on almost every website. Since these force a call back to these sites on every page load my web browsing history becomes intimately linked with a Twitter or Facebook profile.

For now, I run, as I mentioned, Ad Block Plus to safeguard me from these things, but I don't see that as license to take content without compensation; as I mentioned previously. I was among an early group that argued for a ad free subscription on Neowin and I'm glad I have that option. All sites should offer it.

I see you're talking a lot about Ad Muncher. I tried it years ago and I really liked it. I'm sure I still would. I just couldn't accept the price. It was over $100 for a lifetime license, which isn't too big a deal, but that is limited to one machine, which is a big deal. I have a laptop and a desktop and wouldn't want to license for both nor would I want to figure out how to "unlicense" one when I do formats where I forgot do a proper uninstall first.

ABP (plus Element Hiding Helper for the PCs) for Firefox Windows, *Nix and Android.  Still waiting for a version for Chromium that's just as good/flexible sadly.

Ad Muncher has its problems though; lack of updates for example - it seems the main developer has been MIA for nearly a year now plus it doesn't work with Internet Explorer 11, nor does it filter HTTPS sites which is a deal-breaker for me. After looking into alternatives, I chose to use Adguard nearly two years ago and I've never been happier. It can filter any browser - including Metro-based browsers, IE11 (even IE11 with Enhanced Protected Mode/64-bit) and it filters HTTPS sites with no issues. I'm currently using Adguard 5.9 beta with full userscripts support for all browsers, including Internet Explorer. :D

Ad Muncher regularly goes on sale every Christmas 50% off.

That is nice, but I still don't see why it shouldn't be licensed to me, irrespective of machine. It doesn't cost more to support my laptop... Having to buy an entirely new license for every machine seems excessive.

Especially since I don't see very many ads outside of my browser. I generally stop using ad filled desktop software. The same is true for mobile. If I like it I'll buy the Ad Free version, otherwise it gets uninstalled.

This thread has reminded me of how much I use Ad Block Plus and I will be making a donation to them in the amount of a lifetime license of Ad Muncher.

If they ever release it, you mean? :p I still have a Ad Muncher lifetime license but I'll probably never use it again.

Oh it will be released! Saw comments from Murray about IE11 support. I have three. Will be buying more once a mobile version is out. Though that proves to be very difficult with the way Apple and Google locks out their OS. Doesn't matter hopefully Windows Phone takes off in a couple of years.

Good to know. Ad Muncher 5 will rock.

A quick look at Ad Muncher's website suggests, as has been mentioned previously, that it is now abandoned. The last update was almost 2 years ago. They have had less than a handful of Facebook updates in almost the same time. I wouldn't consider them a viable option at this point.

I've been hearing that for several years now regarding AM 5. :p A mobile version? Not feasible with iOS/Android due to the various limitations of both. Windows Phone? I wouldn't hold my breath... The only viable cross-platform solution to mobile filtration is a custom paid VPN solution with adblocking capabilities. Sure there's AdAway and ABP for Android, but in my option they're not very helpful with most ads - even on a rooted phone due to Android's limitations.

A quick look at Ad Muncher's website suggests, as has been mentioned previously, that it is now abandoned. The last update was almost 2 years ago. They have had less than a handful of Facebook updates in almost the same time. I wouldn't consider them a viable option at this point.

There is filter list update daily.

You report a ad in 24 hours or less it is gone. Video ads included.