• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How Can I Improve My Landing Page Design?

Question

gohpep    434

I coded my website using Bootstrap, and I was wondering if my current project list page looked good.

http://circuitsoft.us

18 answers to this question

Ambroos    801

Hm. It's a bit unclear what it's about. Some sort of introduction and more structure would be nice. Now it just seems like random links. There's no context.

(Also, fixed backgrounds with scrollable transparent content on top of it are a performance nightmare, even more if you replace them with animations like you do.)

primexx    372

Hm. It's a bit unclear what it's about. Some sort of introduction and more structure would be nice. Now it just seems like random links. There's no context.

(Also, fixed backgrounds with scrollable transparent content on top of it are a performance nightmare, even more if you replace them with animations like you do.)

agree. I looked at it for a while trying to figure out what exactly I was looking at, before actually reading the text. You want to have an obvious place for someone to start reading, and also that they can tell what type of thing it is right on first glance.

the performance thing I've noticed before, but it worked okay on the computer I'm using right now. It could still be a problem for mobile devices, I'm not sure.

gohpep    434

It's meant to be a project list, and I felt it looked cluttered too. Any suggestions on how to present the list of projects and give an intro about the company? I was thinking about having a jumbotron, and then having media objects with paragraphs and titles with a data filter for categories

Ambroos    801

It's a big difference in performance. Chrome dev tools (behind F12 on Windows) have a great way to test performance in Timeline > Frames. I have a pretty good dualcore laptop and with the website as-is had difficulty reaching 30FPS while scrolling. Disabled the opacity and had no issues hitting 60FPS.

gohpep    434

Ok. I'll change the site to your recommendations. Thanks for your help. If you don't mind, could you review the site again once it's changed?

francescob    560

What about some runway lights? Those are perfect for landing pages!

gohpep    434

I know landing pages are dumb but people used to go on this site expecting a different thing, so I had to make a project list to show one of the projects that the site used to be dedicated to.

Shiranui    1,916

I would also hyphenate "story-driven". 

• Like 1

Seahorsepip    610

Hmm don't see the background anymore but was it fixed with background: fixed? or with some messy js you see everywhere these days?

And I wonder if transparant with background: rgba(....); and with opacity would make a performance difference :P

Edit: opacity is faster.

DrJohnSmitherson    131

FloppyBerd link is dead

primexx    372

wow it's so much nicer with the changes you've made.

Hmm don't see the background anymore but was it fixed with background: fixed? or with some messy js you see everywhere these days?

And I wonder if transparant with background: rgba(....); and with opacity would make a performance difference tongue.png

Edit: opacity is faster.

well something will have to keep re-rendering the transparency

MikeChipshop    3,458

Guess i'm not seeing what others were, all i'm seeing is a white page with reams of text, so i can;t really comment.

Seahorsepip    610

Guess i'm not seeing what others were, all i'm seeing is a white page with reams of text, so i can;t really comment.

Yeah had the same thing just click the about link on that site.

nyolc8    158

I love that background scrolling effect

• Like 1

Seahorsepip    610

I don't know how you did the background scolling but it feels somehow sluggish as if there's unnecessary code behind it :/

I'll look into coding of the site I guess ^^

Edit: might have found the issue, background-position uses half pixels on every scroll :s

gohpep    434

Ok, I'll fix that.

I don't know how you did the background scolling but it feels somehow sluggish as if there's unnecessary code behind it :/

I'll look into coding of the site I guess ^^

Edit: might have found the issue, background-position uses half pixels on every scroll :s

gohpep    434

Yes, it's not done yet, should I put a coming soon tag on it?

FloppyBerd link is dead

I updated the page based on what people told me, and I felt like I should just recode it.

So, the first page is good?

Yeah had the same thing just click the about link on that site.

DrJohnSmitherson    131

Yes, it's not done yet, should I put a coming soon tag on it?

I updated the page based on what people told me, and I felt like I should just recode it.

So, the first page is good?

I would definitely put a coming soon. It just makes it seem like your page is broken