One year ago the PS4 was announced...

One year ago today, the #PS4 hadn't been announced. A lot can happen in 365 days :)

https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/436164560827858944

Can anyone else remember watching that video? Apart from a typically decent Sony montage at the start (sure there was one lol - just checked, phew, there was), all I can really remember from back then is "omg no console was shown!" "showing no console is one way to do a conference" and a lot of negativity and worrying :p

• Like 1

Yeah, I remember being so excited to see what Sony was going to do for the next gen. They were the first to lay out the next gen plans.

I wasnt bothered by the lack of showing off a console, but yeah there was a cringe moment :laugh: I dont think anyone can do these events without having at least one.

• Like 1

I remember it very well. AB and I hugged and made up on Twitter as he won the "I told you so" battle after 8 long years :laugh:

But seriously, it was a good show and a turning point for the company's gaming division (Y) The specs didn't wow me but I knew they weren't going to be the ultra-PCs everyone was dreaming of. Not seeing the console didn't bother me either, I was more interested in hearing about their online efforts.

• Like 1

Wait, has it been a year? Wow, it just...flew by.

Don't remember watching the video, but I do remember the endless discussions about Sony not actually showing the console. 

Wait, has it been a year? Wow, it just...flew by.

Yup, crazy :) Remember staying up for the video myself, boy that was long :laugh:

• Like 1

I remember it very well. AB and I hugged and made up on Twitter as he won the "I told you so" battle after 8 long years :laugh:

But seriously, it was a good show and a turning point for the company's gaming division (Y) The specs didn't wow me but I knew they weren't going to be the ultra-PCs everyone was dreaming of. Not seeing the console didn't bother me either, I was more interested in hearing about their online efforts.

I'm a man of endurance :p

Now to find where in the world Sethos ended up and convince him to hug it out lol.

• Like 1

I'm a man of endurance :p

Now to find where in the world Sethos ended up and convince him to hug it out lol.

Yeah good luck with that lol

Hi Sethos, if you're lurking/reading this :ninja:

• Like 1

and a lot of negativity and worrying :p

I don't recall hardly any negativity after their announcement. People noted that the console itself wasn't shown, but I don't think that concerned anyone. Now, of course there are people on both sides who can't wait to write articles, but as far as real people, nothing negative. 

... And a year later, Madd Hatter still doesn't have one :p

:huh: Why would I have a PS4? Destiny is still several months away.

I haven't re watched this stream since a year ago, but what happened to half the features they announced there?

Specifically, I remember them saying you could trial any game. So far I only see demos of a few games on the store?  And being able to share your controller over the internet and have a friend help even if they don't have the game?

And also being able to watch your friend play?  It sounded seperate to the live streaming thing, as it wasn't to be broadcast to the wider world. It sounded like you could request to view your friends game and it was a 1-1 stream.

And more to the point of live streaming they made a huge thing about it but the quality is god awful.  Even OnLive had far better streaming quality than that :/

Unless my memory has just made stuff up now they promised a lot of stuff they didn't really deliver on.

That said, PS4 was the first console I bought for release day, and am really glad I did.  Especially with games like The Order coming up, I really feel I made the right choice this gen.  I will probably buy a xbox one further on down the road but not until some decent exclusives come out and they release a kinect-less model.

I haven't re watched this stream since a year ago, but what happened to half the features they announced there?

Specifically, I remember them saying you could trial any game. So far I only see demos of a few games on the store?  And being able to share your controller over the internet and have a friend help even if they don't have the game?

And also being able to watch your friend play?  It sounded seperate to the live streaming thing, as it wasn't to be broadcast to the wider world. It sounded like you could request to view your friends game and it was a 1-1 stream.

And more to the point of live streaming they made a huge thing about it but the quality is god awful.  Even OnLive had far better streaming quality than that :/

Unless my memory has just made stuff up now they promised a lot of stuff they didn't really deliver on.

That said, PS4 was the first console I bought for release day, and am really glad I did.  Especially with games like The Order coming up, I really feel I made the right choice this gen.  I will probably buy a xbox one further on down the road but not until some decent exclusives come out and they release a kinect-less model.

Console announcements are always filled with promises they don't always keep. "The age of the jaggies is over" from Peter Moore is always my favourite :P

Those features you mention may still be on the way, who knows. Sony's progress on the PS4 OS has been pretty slow so far (N)

Console announcements are always filled with promises they don't always keep. "The age of the jaggies is over" from Peter Moore is always my favourite :p

They probably look at the graphics of the current gen and think of the resolution the next-gen could run it at. Then they get to next-gen and ramp up the graphics and have to make the same decision, graphics or resolution? You have to decide where to compromise.

Im fairly sure at some point in the PS4's life, probably nearer the end they will knock the res down to 720 to bump up the graphics in certain games.

Wow I do remember that...  I remember NOT being impressed at all...

Wasn't impressed at E3 either.  

Then somewhere around September/October, I impressed by the overall package Sony was showing. 

I guess I couldn't stand the slow trickle of info, when you narrow it down.  

Sounds like Daylight is first to use some of the features you're after.

Tomb Raider features some sort of stream viewer interaction. Something to do with being able to influence death. Can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

I completely forgot about some of those early features they laid out. Its a lot of neat ideas that I would like to see them try to make happen honestly.

Most are probably gimmicky, but I know my GF would like me to take over her game sometimes to kill the big bad bosses :p She's not that bad really. Better than me at racing games to be honest, just doesn't have the patience for Dark Souls. Don't mention I said that though :shifty: