Do you prefer physical or digital copies of games?

Physical or Digital  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Which distribution type do you prefer?

• Physical. I like to have and hold my games, 0s and 1s on a HDD don't cut it for me.
    • Digital. What do I need with manuals I don't read and cases I'm forced to store?
    • Price dictates which one I will buy.

I just but whatever's cheapest. Usually now it's digital that's cheaper for PC games, so I just download my games overnight or whilst I'm at work. Downloading BF4 didn't really bother me all that much.

I prefer digital.  Copying a game over from another HD (or leaving it where it is and running the Steam and Origin installers, assuming you just reinstalled the OS) is much quicker than installing from a DVD.  Bam, tens of games installed with very little wait times.

I only used physical when I was overburdened with downloads to get, now that I have a decent connection that never happens.

Physical for console games, don't care for when it comes to pc. Simply because it's a lot easier to replace a digital copy of a pc game if X company goes away than it is to replace a digital copy of a console game once they shut down servers.

• 1 month later...

Physical.  Until there is a better job at making the digital version cheaper than the physical, I think buying digital is for suckers.  The publisher is saving a lot of money on digital by not having to print/package the game and ship it.  Downright insulting for them to not pass on the savings.

Physical.  Until there is a better job at making the digital version cheaper than the physical, I think buying digital is for suckers.  The publisher is saving a lot of money on digital by not having to print/package the game and ship it.  Downright insulting for them to not pass on the savings.

in defense of that, there may be additional expenses when trying to acquire physical copies, like paying for gas or shipping,and time. I think convenience also plays a factor.

in defense of that, there may be additional expenses when trying to acquire physical copies, like paying for gas or shipping,and time. I think convenience also plays a factor.

I was checking last night the price of the digital copy of Diablo 3 for PS3 and I can't believe it still at $59.99. A game that came 6 months ago and still at the original retail price. That's what call insane.

I'm a collector type of person, so normally I prefer physical copies. I have maybe 100 digital Steam games though but of course they aren't worth crap to anyone else and limited to the Windows platform. Consoles just aren't quite there yet to have a complete digital library but I don't appose them, I may go digital so long as what I want is available. Usually I can find the physical copy cheaper though, too often console makers don't provide much in the way of deals on their digital versions. The worst is Nintendo 3DS though, full price if not more.

One other point for digital - you never, as in ever, have to worry about lack of inventory.

yea with digital distribution, publisher will never worry to accidentally pull an Atari's ET like moves.

no worries flooding market over unsellable inventories, no market crash,

no worries about reproduction prices, which a lot cheaper compared physical production costs,

and almost no other risk like production woes or distribution woes involved, even they exist its minimal.

Thats however allow them to fine tune the prices,

as still see sporadic case where digital price = physical price of similar product.

The known way to deter publishers toying with higher prices on digital realm is piracy,

like what happened with digital music & movies.

I really dislike digital games... on consoles at least.  I really don't like not being able to sell the game after I'm done with it.  Not to mention that if I end up selling a console, your digital games are worthless to the next owner.  You'll just end up with a digital game library of things you can't play.

I seem to have double standards though - I don't mind that I can't resell my Steam games but then again I'm paying considerably less for them too so it's not as much of a hit on the wallet.  I'll also always have a PC too so they're always playable.

I really dislike digital games... on consoles at least.  I really don't like not being able to sell the game after I'm done with it.  Not to mention that if I end up selling a console, your digital games are worthless to the next owner.  You'll just end up with a digital game library of things you can't play.

I seem to have double standards though - I don't mind that I can't resell my Steam games but then again I'm paying considerably less for them too so it's not as much of a hit on the wallet.  I'll also always have a PC too so they're always playable.

Not really, I have quite a few old PC games that either no longer play or play well enough to bother. Especially once I got Windows 8.1. If nothing else it's a huge pain in the rear like with Advent Rising or Omikron. DOsbox games usually work well, maybe if there's an emulator for XP with gamepad support it wouldn't be much problem.

I always keep my old consoles and games, it never fails that years later I will want to replay them again.

What's the difference between console and PC? People keep saying digital for PC, physical for console. They're the same. Good question, though should have had a both category. Would go all digital except for the trade in value as i'm not exactly loaded, and because i want to support my local game shop, who're really cool with me. Otherwise digital is superior, the convenience and comfort are great advantages.

BTW we do not own any game. We own the right to use it, until the publisher says otherwise. The only thing you own when you go physical is the disc itself and the box, not the software. Sure if you're always offline then older physical games will work, but those days are numbered, we all know the online required future is nigh upon us.

Digital. Easier to buy, cheaper, quicker (instant download), and you don't have to store them anywhere (used to love the collection but in the end, they became trash :))

What's the difference between console and PC? People keep saying digital for PC, physical for console. They're the same.

Traditionally people have had the right to resell console games, not so much PC games in many locations.  Also sales are much more frequent on PC from what I've seen.

I can't really speak for the PS3 marketplace overall but the prices seemed really poor on it when I wanted Uncharted 3.  Coming as a PC gamer it was disappointing to see something cost so much more digital.

Seemed like the 360 marketplace was better overall about that, not sure by how much though since I'm still PC focused overall.

Experiment - not so much the right as the ability. It's tradition. Yes, there's never been much resell value for home computer/PC software. Consoles have had it, i think it's related to the centralized nature of console gaming.

Traditionally people have had the right to resell console games, not so much PC games in many locations.  Also sales are much more frequent on PC from what I've seen.

I can't really speak for the PS3 marketplace overall but the prices seemed really poor on it when I wanted Uncharted 3.  Coming as a PC gamer it was disappointing to see something cost so much more digital.

Seemed like the 360 marketplace was better overall about that, not sure by how much though since I'm still PC focused overall.

Digital prices are generally bad on console regardless of platform. Sales are also pretty bad on consoles too. With a console 'holiday sale' always looking like a joke compared to steam.

Digital prices are generally bad on console regardless of platform. Sales are also pretty bad on consoles too. With a console 'holiday sale' always looking like a joke compared to steam.

I've picked up a few games on 360s digital sales, they aren't bad at all they just aren't as well publicized as PC ones.  Hell usually I wouldn't even know what they're offering on sale without turning on the console...which I rarely do.

Yeah, the holidays aren't as impressive, but overall I don't think I would've been disappointed (other than by the hardware itself heh) if the 360 was my main platform.