VMware Player 5 & Debian 7 NGINX

Question

Class

Hello!

I would like ask, since I'm pretty unfamiliar with the VMware Player 5. I just injected a virtual machine (.vmdk), with Debian 7 & NGINX, PHP and fastCGI running on it. I want to test out some websites, etc on this virtual server. Currently I have it bridged to the host, and my question is how can I access pages served by this virtual web server on the host (Win7)?

I think the main problem is that I don't know VMware works. Is there any settings, config which I missed?

Thanks in advance.

PS: at the moment of screenshot ETH was turned of, due to I know know, NAT or bridges is the proper solution.

post-121358-0-75086100-1393338258.png

6 answers to this question

ichi

Ah, so bridged is the answer. But sadly my network does not allow bridged VM-s, so this not possible. Sadly, while I messed around yesterday I somehow figured this out, coz with bridged I get dropped from my network. :(

BTW - I'm not using VMware Player that often to be honest, so yeah, installed it more then 1 years ago, then 5 was the newest version, and since the update function is blocked by my proxy service. But to be asking the right questions: Is 6 better then 5?

If you can't use bridged (or even NAT) and also you only need to access the VM from the host machine, then setting it as host-only will do. You'll be able to connect to the VM through the private network.

VMware Player 6 is obviously better... it has a "6" on the box  :D well it actually has better support for newer OS versions and hardware, and some extra features and performance improvements.

You might not notice any of that but it certainly isn't worse than 5 anyway, and being free it doesn't hurt to upgrade.

+BudMan

If it was bridged to your host then your VM network interface should have an IP on your hosts network.. From what you show there is no IP address on the VMs eth0 - so no your not going to be able to access anything on that vm over a network.

BTW - something I never understand why would you be using player 5 - 6 has been out for quite some time.  Its not like it not free and you don't want to pay for the upgrade ;)

• Like 1

Class

If it was bridged to your host then your VM network interface should have an IP on your hosts network.. From what you show there is no IP address on the VMs eth0 - so no your not going to be able to access anything on that vm over a network.

BTW - something I never understand why would you be using player 5 - 6 has been out for quite some time.  Its not like it not free and you don't want to pay for the upgrade ;)

Ah, so bridged is the answer. But sadly my network does not allow bridged VM-s, so this not possible. Sadly, while I messed around yesterday I somehow figured this out, coz with bridged I get dropped from my network. :(

BTW - I'm not using VMware Player that often to be honest, so yeah, installed it more then 1 years ago, then 5 was the newest version, and since the update function is blocked by my proxy service. But to be asking the right questions: Is 6 better then 5?

Class

If you can't use bridged (or even NAT) and also you only need to access the VM from the host machine, then setting it as host-only will do. You'll be able to connect to the VM through the private network.

VMware Player 6 is obviously better... it has a "6" on the box  :D well it actually has better support for newer OS versions and hardware, and some extra features and performance improvements.

You might not notice any of that but it certainly isn't worse than 5 anyway, and being free it doesn't hurt to upgrade.

Well, upgrade has to wait.

So, I started the host only connection, but, since obviously 192.168.xxx.yyy that was choosen by default wasn't really the right IP since there is actually a PC in my host network that runs with that. So now I tried to choose and IP address that is most likely not in my network and is fairly extreme: 1.1.1.1

Can I access this VM address in a browser, without interrupting my real networks connectivity?

post-121358-0-96936200-1393416494.png

+BudMan

"Ah, so bridged is the answer. But sadly my network does not allow bridged VM-s"

And what network is that??  That makes Zero sense - its your machine right, how is it not your network?  Are you at a school or something?

Installed a Year ago and your just now trying to use a vm on it?

ichi

Well, upgrade has to wait.

So, I started the host only connection, but, since obviously 192.168.xxx.yyy that was choosen by default wasn't really the right IP since there is actually a PC in my host network that runs with that. So now I tried to choose and IP address that is most likely not in my network and is fairly extreme: 1.1.1.1

Can I access this VM address in a browser, without interrupting my real networks connectivity?

192.168.x.x not being the right IP is not obvious at all, that depends on your network's mask. 

Your network is probably 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x with a 255.255.255.0 netmask, while the VM should have a 192.168.122.x IP (or similar).

Check you host's network configuration, you should have at least one virtual adapter there (likely vmnet0) with an assigned IP address. If you configure your VM's network adapter as NAT or host-only it should have an IP address in the same network as the host's vmnetx.

If VMware is assigning IPs in the range of your actual network to the virtual adapters then something's wrong with your VMware Player install.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      VirtualBox 6.1.24
      by Razvan Serea

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.

Some of the features of VirtualBox are:

Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox. Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers. VirtualBox 6.1.24 changelog:

Storage: Fixed starting a VM if a device is attached to a VirtIO SCSI port higher than 30 (bug #20213) Storage: Improvement to DVD medium change signaling Serial: Fixed a the guest missing interrupts under certain circumstances (6.0 regression, bug #18668) Audio: Multiple fixes and enhancements Network: Fixed connectivity issue with virtio-net after resuming VM with disconnected link Network: Fixed UDP GSO fragmentation issue with missing 8 bytes of payload at the end of the first fragment API: Fixed VM configuration for recent Windows Server versions Extension Pack: Fixed issues with USB webcam pass-through on Linux Host and guest driver: Fix small memory leak (bug #20280) Linux host and guest: Support kernel version 5.13 (bug #20456) Linux host and guest: Introduce support for SUSE SLES/SLED 15 SP3 kernels (bug #20396) Linux host: Installer will not attempt to build kernel modules if system already has them installed and modules versions match current version Windows host: Fix DLL signature validation to work better with an invalid certificate Guest Additions: Fixed crash on using shared clipboard (bug #19165) Linux Guest Additions: Introduce support for Ubuntu specific kernels (bug #20325) Solaris guest: Increased default memory and disk sizes EFI: Support network booting with the E1000 network controller emulation EFI: Stability improvements (bug #20090) Download: VirtualBox 6.1.24 | 103.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VirtualBox 6.1.24 Extension Pack | 10.6 MB
      View: VirtualBox Home Page | VirtualBox Screenshot

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Steven P.
      How to enable Hardware 3D Acceleration for Windows 11 in VirtualBox
      by Steven Parker

This week, and perhaps even today, Microsoft will be releasing the first official Windows 11 Insider Preview which will give us a good look at the true vision Microsoft has for the next generation of Windows.

Maybe some of you aren't ready to surrender your main PC to the Dev channel of Windows Insiders and will instead opt to follow the test phase by using a virtual machine, which is entirely possible and probably smart if you don't have a spare qualifying device.

For those that are using Oracle VirtualBox, which is free, some people forget to install the Guest Additions, which installs drivers to make navigating inside the VM much more pleasant.

In the Oracle VirtualBox toolbar select Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD Media Navigate to the CD drive in the Windows VM Double click on VBoxWindowsAdditions and follow the onscreen prompts. Select I want to manually reboot later Shut down the VM Assuming your GPU meets the criteria for Hardware 3D Acceleration in the Windows guest, and you have activated Windows, (the Windows 11 leak disabled theme options until Activation) you can now enable 3D acceleration.

In the powered off VM select Settings Navigate to Display Tick Enable 3D Acceleration Click on OK You can now power up the VM and see that the 3D acceleration is enabled. This article assumes that you already know how to use Oracle VirtualBox, but if you don't, feel free to ask away in the comments or in our forums and we will try to help.

• By Copernic
      VMware Workstation Player 16.1.2
      by Razvan Serea

VMware Player is the easiest way to run multiple operating systems at the same time on your computer.
      With its user-friendly interface, VMware Player makes it effortless for anyone to try out Windows 10, Chrome OS or the latest Linux releases, or to create virtual "sandboxes" to test pre-release software in. VMware Player can also be used to run a virtual copy of an old PC so that you can recycle the old machines you have under your desk or stored in the closet.

Run multiple operating systems simultaneously on a single computer Experience the benefits of preconfigured products without any installation or configuration hassles Share data between host computer and virtual machine Run 32- and 64-bit virtual machines Use 3rd-party pre-configured virtual machines and images Share data between the host computer and virtual machine Broad host and guest operating system support Support for USB 2.0 devices Gain easy access to virtual machines via an intuitive home page interface What's new in VMware Workstation Player 16.1.2:

This release contains security updates and updates VMware Tools to version 11.2.6.

Download: VMware Workstation Player 16.1.2 | 215.0 MB (Free for personal use)
      View: VMware Player Website

• By Copernic
      VMware Workstation Pro 16.1.2
      by Razvan Serea

VMware Workstation provides a seamless way to access all of the virtual machines you need, regardless of where they are running. Remotely connect to virtual machines running on VMware vSphere, ESXi or another copy of VMware Workstation. Workstation’s web interface lets you access local and server hosted virtual machines from your PC, smart phone, tablet or any device with a modern browser. Run applications on multiple operating systems including Linux, Windows and more at the same time on the same PC without rebooting. Evaluate and test new operating systems, applications and patches in an isolated environment.

Take Your Productivity to the Next Level

Run applications on multiple operating systems including Linux, Windows and more at the same time on the same PC without rebooting. Evaluate and test new operating systems, applications and patches in an isolated environment. Demonstrate complex software applications on a single laptop in a repeatable, reliable manner. Consolidate multiple computers running web servers, database servers, etc. onto a single machine. Build reference architectures for evaluation before deploying into production. Simply drag and drop to move your virtual machines from your PC to vSphere, or the cloud. What's new in VMware Workstation Pro 16.1.2 :

This release contains security updates and updates VMware Tools to version 11.2.6.

Product Support Notices:

Deprecation of the Shared virtual machine feature

The Shared virtual machine feature (VMware Workstation as server) is being deprecated. It will remain in its present form for the remainder of the VMware Workstation 16 product life. This feature will be not available in a future release. Download: VMware Workstation Pro 16.1.2 | 622.0 MB (Shareware)
      View: VMware Website

• By Copernic
      VirtualBox 6.1.22
      by Razvan Serea

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.

Some of the features of VirtualBox are:

Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox. Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers. VirtualBox 6.1.22 changelog:

VMM: Improved performance of 64-bit Windows and Solaris guests when Hyper-V is used on recent Windows 10 hosts VMM: Fixed frequent crashes of 64-bit Windows Vista and Server 2003 guests when Hyper-V is used GUI: Fixed regression where user was not able to save unset default shortcuts (bug #20305) Storage: Fixed regression in LsiLogic SAS controller emulation caused VM crash (bug #20323) Linux Guest Additions: Fixed issue when it was not possible to run executables from mounted share (bug #20320) Download: VirtualBox 6.1.22 | 103.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VirtualBox 6.1.22 Extension Pack | 10.6 MB
      View: VirtualBox Home Page | VirtualBox Screenshot