Best Trackers/players for various formats

Question

Any recommendations are welcome. I'm not looking for one all-encompassing program, but the best editor for each of the formats mentioned in the topic description. Primarily Win32 programs, of course, but Linux/BSD or native solutions are also interesting.

7 answers to this question

Best concentrate on trackers from now on, I already have those players and XMPlay, which pretty much covers most requirements. I'm mostly interested in how to MAKE tunes for those various formats, though. In particular, the NSF format and the SPC chip are interesting, as I have not yet found any tracker for them.

Madtracker, ah yes. I've already looked at that one, but discarded it as it is not free. As far as IT/XM/MOD goes I think I'm stuck with MPTracker, which isn't half bad if you render the tunes with, for instance, XMPlay. I've also looked at OctaMED, and I'll try out the freeware version under WinUAE (too bad only the Amiga version is free). It's got a positively wonderful synthsound module (for making chip tunes anyway), and 64 channel support (odd, on a 4 channel sound chip :) ).

So what I really need is a tracker for NSF (the old NES sound format) and SPC (the Super Nintendo sound processor), and maybe for GBS (Gameboy) and just maybe a SID tracker (though I don't believe anything better than GoatTracker will come around for a while). It would be best if the trackers are Win32 based, but native tools running under emulators are fine too.

Thanks for any help.

what about Propellerhead Reason?

maybe it has 'tracker' export feature/addon?

Nope it doesn't (AFAIK), the closest thing I've seen to a Reason-alike tracker/synth is DreamStation, which is also not free, and reports says it's fairly buggy as of the lastest version. As I'm just doing this for fun and am primarily interested in old specialized sound chips like the SPC, modern synth emulators won't cut it. I wish to save my tunes in the SPC format, which requires either a Win32 tracker capable of generating correctly formatted SPC files including player routines (it's very much like a SID chip, in that tunes must include a player program), or a native SNES tracker usable with an emulator from which I can dump the SPC's memory to file.

But thanks for the suggestion, anyway.