Problem with my wireless connection

Go to solution Solved by tbarnett,

Question

tlcbonaparte

Hey guys, I need help. About a month ago I was configuring my wireless router and reseted the router, after reinstalling the thing somehow my laptop cannot connect to youtube with chrome, it sometime can be accessed with my firefox but it's very inconsistent, and only youtube is out. The strange thing is, this isn't happening to my second laptop using the same wireless connection. Even more strange is , the laptop having this problem can connect to youtube when I connect it to my school's wireless network, so I don't know what is up.

I am using a D-Link 615, I am sorry if I sound like an idiot, I am just browsing internet trying to find people who knows about this and can possibly help me.

15 answers to this question

tbarnett

Go into device manager, delete the Wireless Network Adapter (do NOT delete the drivers if prompted), and reboot.  This will reinstall the drivers, and revert all settings to the defaults.

Also:

Update the firmware on your router

Reboot your router/ISP Device weekly

Consider DD-WRT for your D-Link Router - I use it on my DIR-825 and it is awesome

Disable offloading on your network adapter (if supported)

send me $50 :)

I had an issue years ago with Symantec Endpoint Protection - it had hooks into your network drivers, and one update completely hosed my network settings.  I had to reinstall Win7. I don't know what you are using, but it may be worth investigating...

Nick H.

Have you looked through the router settings? Anything out of the ordinary there?

Is your laptop that is having the issue connecting to the network using DHCP, or have you assigned a static address?

You say that it doesn't work at all with Chrome, and it sometimes works with Firefox. I would check with a couple of other browsers, and also install Wireshark to see if that can offer any suggestions when you try accessing Youtube.

Is it just Youtube, or is it sites that use Flash? What about other video sites, do they load ok?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Seems an odd issue.

sc302

Check your proxy settings on your browsers, make sure it is either set to automatic or completely disabled in your different broswers.  It could be a dns issue, you can try changing your dns (probably be best on you local computer that you are having an issues with) to either opendns servers or google dns servers (8.8.8.8 for google, 208.67.222.222 for opendns).  See if you continue to have issues with that information. 

tlcbonaparte

Have you looked through the router settings? Anything out of the ordinary there?

Is your laptop that is having the issue connecting to the network using DHCP, or have you assigned a static address?

You say that it doesn't work at all with Chrome, and it sometimes works with Firefox. I would check with a couple of other browsers, and also install Wireshark to see if that can offer any suggestions when you try accessing Youtube.

Is it just Youtube, or is it sites that use Flash? What about other video sites, do they load ok?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Seems an odd issue.

My wireless router is connected to a DSL moden, I am using DHCP. Other video sites do work so I don't think it's problem with flash.

As of this morning, some other websites start to give me trouble, random sites I usually go to, and just now when I try to access Wireshark, the page gave me loading error as well.

I tried to access the websites I can't access on firefox on both chrome and Opera, it doesn't load on either.

The websites I can't access:

youtube.com

railgunrangers.com

wireshark.org

Before today, firefox can always access youtube but sometime the video display loading error, and if I refresh too much, the entire page will be loading error, which will be fixed if I restart my machine, but as of today no matter how many time I restart, youtube page always display loading error, and the 2 other sites I listed.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

maybe check your hosts file? just a guess, but that's what it seems like it could be to me....

tlcbonaparte

I used OpenDNS and reconfigured my primary and secondary DNS, and now wireshark and railgunrangers can both be accessed, but youtube is still out.

sc302

reset your internet settings in ie, firefox, and chrome.

tlcbonaparte

reset your internet settings in ie, firefox, and chrome.

how do i reset?

Nick H.

now wireshark and railgunrangers can both be accessed, but youtube is still out.

sc302 means that you should try clearing the browser cache and whatnot. The usual stuff which I'm not adverse to trying before anything else, but in this case I have to wonder if it will make a difference.

Download the Wireshark application to the laptop in question and let us know what it says when you try and access youtube. If you can post the results that would be a bonus. I've just downloaded it to my Mac (didn't know there was a Mac version available before) and it's being as informative as always about my connections from and to the machine. Maybe it can offer some insight in to this problem. (Y)

Now I'm off to analyse my home network some more. :laugh:

sc302

No it is not just clearing the browser cache, it is actually resetting the browser back to default settings. If I meant clear cache I would have said clear cache and cookies. I need a few minutes more, took a late lunch and had a meeting.

sc302

Ok in internet explorer

Alt button on keyboard, tools, internet options, advanced tab, reset button.

post-118098-0-58636400-1393535074.jpg

In firefox:

Firefox button in top left (where it says firefox in orange), help, troubleshooting information, reset firefox button

post-118098-0-81241800-1393535239.jpg

In chrome:

Go to the chrome menu, top right displayed by 3 bars, settings, show advanced settings link at bottom, reset browser settings at bottom.

post-118098-0-22881500-1393535418.jpg

....now off to yet another meeting and maybe I can drink the other half of my coffee that I got this morning...

tlcbonaparte

Go into device manager, delete the Wireless Network Adapter (do NOT delete the drivers if prompted), and reboot.  This will reinstall the drivers, and revert all settings to the defaults.

Also:

Update the firmware on your router

Reboot your router/ISP Device weekly

Consider DD-WRT for your D-Link Router - I use it on my DIR-825 and it is awesome

Disable offloading on your network adapter (if supported)

send me $50 :)

I had an issue years ago with Symantec Endpoint Protection - it had hooks into your network drivers, and one update completely hosed my network settings.  I had to reinstall Win7. I don't know what you are using, but it may be worth investigating...

I don't see the wireless network adaptor, what I got on the list are:

Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor

Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet

Microsoft Virtual WiFi miniport Adaptor

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

tlcbonaparte

Ok in internet explorer

Alt button on keyboard, tools, internet options, advanced tab, reset button.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

In firefox:

Firefox button in top left (where it says firefox in orange), help, troubleshooting information, reset firefox button

attachicon.gif2.jpg

In chrome:

Go to the chrome menu, top right displayed by 3 bars, settings, show advanced settings link at bottom, reset browser settings at bottom.

attachicon.gif3.jpg

....now off to yet another meeting and maybe I can drink the other half of my coffee that I got this morning...

I resetted my firefox, it didn't work. Still can't access youtube. PS, prior to the reset, somehow the other sites I mentions stopped working again.

tlcbonaparte

Thank you so much guys. Resetting the adaptor seems to have fixed the problem for me, I can't thank you guys enough.

yoco

Hi! Sorry for typing this in your thread,. I'd just like to ask something. I have a cable ISP. My modem is Cisco, and it's connected to my desktop PC. I also have a laptop which is connected with WiFi. Last week when I downloaded a large amount of data on my laptop my modem would lose internet connection. The only way to bring it back is to turn modem off and then back on. Even after turning it back on after about 10-15 minutes of same download it would lose connection again. This is still happening, and I don't know what to do. I tried downloading more than 10GB files on my desktop and it works fine, no connection lose. I'm assuming it's something wrong with my modem. Any advice on what could I try to remove this annoying issue? My laptop is HP ProBook 4720s.

Thank you!

:)