iOS 7.1 no longer shows full screen contact photos

Kind of a bummer: starting from 7.1 you no longer get full screen contact photos if someone calls you. Instead it's always thumbnails:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtna98m4x4ozems/Photo%202014-03-12%2C%2012%2003%2028%20AM.png

Seeing if others notice the same? On the upside, the call screen is no longer as buggy as it was on 7.0.x.

I saw this in some of the screenshots on Apple's ios7.1 page, they could have changed it, since the full screen photos are a direct copy of Windows Phone.

• Like 3

I saw this in some of the screenshots on Apple's ios7.1 page, they could have changed it, since the full screen photos are a direct copy of Windows Phone.

And the look above is a Skype Win8 / WP8 ripoff!

Full screen photos on the call screen have been an iOS feature since before windows phone 7 or android even existed

• Like 1

:rolleyes: Can we please keep this copying silliness out of here?

Anyways yes, I did try to enlarge the photo to little effect. I use Sync.ME to retrieve contact photos from Facebook and those photos are full sized.

Yeah I noticed that after I updated too, shame I quite liked that feature. 

I hated the thumbnail view. I used to use gmail contacts and when you did that it changed them to thumbnail view and I imported all my contacts and cleaned them up just so I didn't have to look at that and would see the full screen again..  Now its gone!!

Also you can't put folders inside folders with 7.1 which is stupid as well

I suspect its because a lot of folks have low-res thumbnails due to whatever provider they use for contacts.  The full screen image looks great if it is a high quality image of the person.  Otherwise, it looks like pixelated garbage.  Still, an option to switch between full screen and thumbnail would have been nice.

Kind of a bummer: starting from 7.1 you no longer get full screen contact photos if someone calls you. Instead it's always thumbnails:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtna98m4x4ozems/Photo%202014-03-12%2C%2012%2003%2028%20AM.png

Seeing if others notice the same? On the upside, the call screen is no longer as buggy as it was on 7.0.x.

I was never able to figure out why some of my contacts had full-screen photos and why some didn't. I added high-res photos to most of my contacts but for whatever reason they don't always take. In fact, in most cases they didn't take.  :/

This was changed in IOS 6 I believe, however prior to this, a contact's photo would take up the whole screen.

Actually I've been continuously rocking full sized contact photos from iOS 5 'till now :p

Though it is a bit arbitrary on iOS's part to determine what will come up as full sized and what won't.

I hated the thumbnail view. I used to use gmail contacts and when you did that it changed them to thumbnail view and I imported all my contacts and cleaned them up just so I didn't have to look at that and would see the full screen again.. Now its gone!!

Yup, noticed that with Gmail. Before that my contacts were synced with then-Windows Live, which had a bad tendency to screw up my contact list and insert duplicates, and maybe it would sync contact pictures half the time. At least Gmail didn't mess up my contact list.

In any case, it's been smooth sailing on iCloud.

Yeah I noticed that after I updated too, shame I quite liked that feature. 

just download an app which gives you that functionality .... oh wait :D

Hah

just download an app which gives you that functionality .... oh wait :D

Haha yeah yeah 

You only look at the dippy screen for a moment.  Once you answer (or I guess reject) the call, does it matter???

That's iOS 6 and it supports full screen contact photos if u edit the photo and pinch to zoom or take the contact photo on the camera itself with the portrait aspect ratio

I have ios6 still and my full screen contacts photos are fine. It's been there since the beginning if the photo is high res and the right aspect ratio. Same thing with ios5/4/3 mobile os2/1

iOS had always allowed for thumbnail photo (if gotten from Facebook/twitter) and full screen if sideloaded or taken on the camera up until now.

Please don't fail so hard

That's iOS 6 and it supports full screen contact photos if u edit the photo and pinch to zoom or take the contact photo on the camera itself with the portrait aspect ratio

I have ios6 still and my full screen contacts photos are fine. It's been there since the beginning if the photo is high res and the right aspect ratio. Same thing with ios5/4/3 mobile os2/1

iOS had always allowed for thumbnail photo (if gotten from Facebook/twitter) and full screen if sideloaded or taken on the camera up until now.

Please don't fail so hard

Im pretty sure he was talking about this comment :

'Full screen photos on the call screen have been an iOS feature since before windows phone 7 or android even existed"

lol... #fail 

Im pretty sure he was talking about this comment :

'Full screen photos on the call screen have been an iOS feature since before windows phone 7 or android even existed"

lol... #fail

Iphone os 1 unveiled jan 2007 released june 2007

Android os unveiled nov 2007 released sept 2008

Wp7 released sept 2010

Im pretty sure ios has always had the ability to set full screen contact photos in the call screen since 2007

Do you have a specific date you know when they added that functionality or do you just assume

Guys please... knock it off. There are other threads you can take this debate to. I shouldn't need to moderate my own thread  :argh:

• Like 1

Can confirm that the iPhone 3G (iOS 2) had full screen images. I wrote a bug on Google's site as when syncing contacts to them they one day shrunk the images. Presumably to make them compatible with Android. From that day onwards syncing to Google on iPhone resulted in your images looking awful.

Not my thread but you can at least see comments on it in 2009.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/cO2L3s509LQ%5B1-25-false%5D

Iphone os 1 unveiled jan 2007 released june 2007

Android os unveiled nov 2007 released sept 2008

Wp7 released sept 2010

Im pretty sure ios has always had the ability to set full screen contact photos in the call screen since 2007

Do you have a specific date you know when they added that functionality or do you just assume

I am pretty sure that Nokia did that in 2002 or so.  Since Microsoft owns that patent portfolio......

I also think that Windows Phone 6 did that as well.  I am scratching my head to remember that one for sure.

• Like 1