CSS Dropdown Menu not working on iOS

Go to solution Solved by SinsOfCube,

Question

ncc50446

Hey,

I did some work on a site recently, and everything was going fine. Except one bug I can't seem to fix..

Under Safari on iOS 7, the dropdown menu does't work. It works for Android browsers (Firefox, default, Opera), but not iOS Safari.

I was hoping a fresh pair of eyes might help. It's most likely something stupid screwing it up lol

The following menu items should have a dropdown: About, Members, Search, Resources, Links

Thanks for any help

http://www.albertaauctioneers.com/

5 answers to this question

Seahorsepip

I guess ios opens the link of the dropdown button before even opening the dropdown.

I suggest to make the website mobile friendly instead with media queries and use a sidebar menu or a dropdown select element for the menu ^^

As example you can add a select element with all the menu options underneath the menubar and show it when the device width is smaller then a certain width(700px or such).

Lemme make a jsfiddle ;)

Update:

Resize browser window width to see the menu change.

http://jsfiddle.net/LRSzk/embedded/result/

Code:

http://jsfiddle.net/LRSzk/

• Like 1
SinsOfCube

The quick easy fix for CSS dropdown menus to work in iOS is simply adding onmouseover="" to the elements that should display the dropdownmenu.

But if you really want to make it fully mobile friendly I would recommand Seahorsepip's suggestion.

• Like 2
Seahorsepip

The quick easy fix for CSS dropdown menus to work in iOS is simply adding onmouseover="" to the elements that should display the dropdownmenu.

But if you really want to make it fully mobile friendly I would recommand Seahorsepip's suggestion.

Ahh nice trick on using that js trigger attribute to force ios to think it has a mouseover event ^^

ncc50446

I guess ios opens the link of the dropdown button before even opening the dropdown.

I suggest to make the website mobile friendly instead with media queries and use a sidebar menu or a dropdown select element for the menu ^^

As example you can add a select element with all the menu options underneath the menubar and show it when the device width is smaller then a certain width(700px or such).

Lemme make a jsfiddle ;)

Update:

Resize browser window width to see the menu change.

http://jsfiddle.net/LRSzk/embedded/result/

Code:

http://jsfiddle.net/LRSzk/

Those menu items aren't actually links, they are just text. So the links aren't loaded before the dropdown appears.

I thought about making a mobile site, but it wasn't in the budget...Though I did originally want to make one. Problem is though, the banner is too big, and I suck at making graphics lol So I couldn't whip something up..Though that is an interesting way of doing that..I had wondered how I was going to make a mobile friendly menu, thanks for the idea! :)

I'll give that a try tonight, thanks :)

Thank you both for the help :) Will try the mouseover first, and while I look into making a mobile site

ncc50446

Using SinsOfCube's idea of mouseover, and finally got it tested by the bosses, and it seems to work. Very clever, thanks :)
Though Seahorsepip's suggestion is of course also correct. I'll be working on a mobile version soon hopefully, and will probably use his suggestion :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Save 98% off this 2020 Ultimate Web Developer & Design Bootcamp Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 98% off this 2020 Ultimate Web Developer & Design Bootcamp Bundle. Kick off your career as an expert web developer & designer with 69+ hours of content on Java, HTML, CSS3, APIs, and more.

What's the deal?
      This deal consists of the following courses:

The Complete 2020 HTML5 CSS3 Course with Flexbox, Grid & SASS
      Acquire Fundamental Skills You Need to Become One of the Most Sought-After Web Developers Modern Web Design Complete HTML & CSS
      Learn HTML, CSS, & JavaScript and Create Web Pages from Scratch The Ultimate HTML Developer
      Learn HTML/HTML5 & Put Your Skills Into Practice by Creating an Entire Web Page Build Responsive Real-World Websites with CSS3 v2.0
      Learn CSS3 Flexbox, Animations, Transitions, Transformations & Responsive Design Create an 8-Bit Website
      Create an 8-Bit Style Website from Scratch with Just HTML & Some Basic CSS Understanding APIs & RESTful APIs Crash Course
      An Introduction on How APIs & RESTful APIs Work — No Coding Involved JavaScript for Beginners: Learn with 6 Main Projects
      Everything You Need to Become a Confident JavaScript Developer Git Essentials: The Step-by-Step Guide to Git & GitHub Mastery
      Master the Daily Git Workflow That Every Developer Uses JavaScript Essentials
      The Basis of JavaScript Including Programming Fundamentals You Can Use in Vue.js, React.js & Node.js Python for Everybody: The Ultimate Python 3 Bootcamp
      Learn Python from A to Z & Become a Ninja Python Coder Web Design JavaScript Front-End Code Course
      Explore How to Write JavaScript Code to Create Interactive & Dynamic Web Pages Good to know
      Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Certification of completion included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and instructor info, click here.

What's the benefit?
      This 2020 Ultimate Web Developer & Design Bootcamp Bundle normally costs* $2,200, but you can pick it up for just $39.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $2,160.01 (98%) off.

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Online Courses. This is a time-limited offer.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Nintendo Gaming Bundle Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 70% off Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      Save 95% off this Complete IT for Beginners Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time you can save 95% off* this Complete IT for Beginners Bundle. Kick off your IT career with 10 courses on coding, web development, programming and more.

What's the deal?

Coding for Beginners Certificate
      Learn Object-Oriented Programming & Run Your First Lines of Actual Code IT Level 2 Certificate
      Improve Productivity Working with Spreadsheets, Word Processing & Presentation Software Introduction to Cloud Computing Certificate Course
      Understand Cloud Services & Improve Your Company's Functionality Introduction to Amazon Web Services Certificate
      How Amazon Web Services Work, What They Offer & How They Can Benefit You Level 1 Python Certificate
      Code with Greater Uniformity & More Simplicity Using Python Programming Language Level 2 HTML5 Certificate
      Practice HTML Coding & Create Functional, Efficient Webpages Level 1 HTML & CSS Certificate
      Start Developing Your Own Apps by Learning HTML5 & CSS Level 1 Programming Certificate
      Take an In-Depth Look at Computer Programming & Prepare for a Career in Web Development Web Applications for Beginners Certificate
      Get Equipped with the Knowledge & Tools to Build Your First Web Application Intro to Gaining a Cisco Certificate
      Begin Your IT Journey by Preparing for the Sought-After Cisco Certification Good to know
      Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Certification of completion included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and instructor info, click here.

What's the benefit?
      This Complete IT for Beginners Bundle normally costs* $971, but you can pick it up for just $39.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $931.01 (95%) off.

Save even more!
      Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts.

Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here.

No, your privacy was not breached at NordVPN (see why).

Miscellany and the fine print!
      In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase.

Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software for Private Internet Access and NordVPN deals.

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.

• By News Staff
      Save 98% off this Complete 2020 Learn to Design Certification Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 98% off* this Complete 2020 Learn to Design Certification Bundle. Take your web design and development skills to the next level with 10 courses on JavaScript, HTML5, Photoshop and more!

What's the deal?

Adobe CC Masterclass: Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe XD & InDesign
      Learn Graphic Design Essentials with Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe XD, InDesign & More JavaScript Beginner Bootcamp
      Understand the JavaScript Language & Learn to Create and Launch Interactive Webpages Photoshop Master: From Beginner to Photoshop Pro
      Become an Expert in Photoshop with No Experience or Prior Knowledge Adobe Photoshop CC: Advanced Training
      Learn Professional Workflows & Shortcuts to Save Hours Using Photoshop HTML5 Canvas: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide
      Make Drawings, Animations, Web Applications & Games with HTML5 Canvas by Using JavaScript Intro to CSS: Learn CSS3 Selectors, Cascade, Specificity & CSS Basics
      Understand the Fundamental Topics of CSS & Become a Well-Rounded Web Developer The Ultimate JavaScript Console Object Guide
      Enhance Your JavaScript Skills by Discovering the Power of JavaScript Console Object Logo Design Mastery In Adobe Illustrator
      Learn Logo Design Theory, How to Work With Clients & Master Adobe Illustrator Tools The Best Selling Graphic Design Masterclass: Learn Great Design
      Design Course, Covering Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Design Theory, Branding & More Create Images, Videos And Web Pages Using Adobe Spark
      Use Adobe Spark to Create Amazing Videos, Presentation & Social Media Posts Good to know

What's the benefit?
      This Complete 2020 Learn to Design Certification Bundle normally costs* $2,000, but you can pick it up for just $39 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $1,961 (98%) off.

Save even more!
      Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts.

Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here.

Miscellany and the fine print!
      In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase.

Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software for Private Internet Access and NordVPN deals.

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.

• By zikalify
      KaiOS Developer Portal launches to help programmers create apps for the platform
      by Paul Hill

KaiOS Technologies has announced the official launch of the KaiOS Developer Portal which aims to help developers get started building apps on the KaiOS mobile platform. If you’ve never heard of KaiOS, it’s the successor to Firefox OS which was quite revolutionary in that it was built using only web technologies. KaiOS also uses web technologies such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and all of the available apps are written in these languages too.

With the launch of the KaiOS Developer Portal, developers new to the platform have all of the tools they need to begin building and distributing apps for KaiOS. The guide can help you get a feel for things with sample code, there are instructions for setting up your development environment, and there’s an easy to set up simulator that lets you run your app virtually to ensure everything is working.

Commenting on the news, Sebastien Codeville, CEO of KaiOS Technologies, said:

While KaiOS is relatively unknown in developed markets, it’s a growing platform among first-time internet users in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, and is currently running more than 100 million devices worldwide. This makes it the third-largest mobile operating system in the world – according to the company, this figure is set to rise by another 50 million by the end of the year.

Breaking into the mobile market is an incredibly difficult task due to Apple's and Google’s advantage in the sector. With that said, KaiOS Technologies believes that developers who write apps for its platform will be able to get first access to new customers as its platform is targeting untapped markets. With many developers already using web technologies to build their Android and iOS apps, porting them over to KaiOS doesn’t have to be too much of a chore.

If you’re brand new to programming in HTML, CSS, or JavaScript, be sure to check out this list of resources which KaiOS Technologies has compiled making it easy to get started. If you're new to programming in general, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript are some of the easiest languages to pick up and deliver immediate results as they don't need to be compiled.

• By M_Lyons10
      Good afternoon everyone!

I am NOT strong with javascript at all, and was trying to do something today and having no luck whatsoever.

I have drop down menus from the navigation on my site and one of them is getting too long (on desktop).  I wanted to, if the nav ul has more than 8 items in the list for it to show as two separate columns. 

Here is the javascript from the navigation now:

$('#nav > ul').dropotron({
                      offsetY: -16,
                      mode: 'fade',
                      noOpenerFade: true,
                      hideDelay: 400
                  });

I would assume that this would need to be done in the javascript since I attempted to edit the css and that did not work.  Just for clarity, here is the CSS:

#nav {
          position: absolute;
          right: 2.5em;
          top: 0; }
          #nav ul li {
            float: left;
            margin-left: 1.5em;
            height: 7em;
            line-height: 7em; }
            #nav ul li a {
              color: #fff;
              -moz-transition: background-color .25s ease-in-out;
              -webkit-transition: background-color .25s ease-in-out;
              -ms-transition: background-color .25s ease-in-out;
              transition: background-color .25s ease-in-out;
              color: #ccc;
              text-decoration: none;
              text-transform: uppercase;
              font-weight: 700;
              padding: 0.55em 1.4em 0.55em 1.4em;
              border-radius: 6px;
              outline: 0; }
              #nav ul li a:hover {
                color: #fff; }
            #nav ul li.current_page_item a, #nav ul li.active a {
              background: #20242A;
              color: #fff; }
          #nav > ul > li > ul {
            display: none; }

I'm open to suggestions as well.  I'm just trying to have the menu be a little easier to navigate.

Thank you for your help!