Star Wars: Episode VII

ugh. lets not do that, don't put numbers in the logo it's stupid, and it's not needed and it doesn't fit with how it's been done for the last 6 damn movies. 

None from the books.

Disney decided to more or less throw out EU(yay) and separate that as a separate thing from the movies. 

So nothing that happened in EU happened here. That's not saying the movies won't reproduce some of the EU stories in a bigger or lesser regard, but the overall universe and chain of events are wiped. 

Meh I liked the EU.  I read all the books for 15 years at least.  But haven't touched any of them or kept up with the storyline since 2007 at least.  Some of the EU stories were very well written and obviously many were just filler, but many of them were good and IMO they wrote a pretty effective universe.

Personally I would have rather they started a new story with WHOLE new characters a long long time ago sometime far far further in the future.  It would have been fan service, you keep what the books wrote intact for the most part and you also have the chance to still do whatever you want.  I didn't really see the need for them to still link Luke, Han, and Leia to this story since this could have been a Star Wars for a new generation who were never exposed to the original.

This reminds me, my wife still has some vintage Starwars movie posters in the garage. I'm gonna wait until this new one comes out and sell them on ebay. Never got into the franchise myself but hope Disney does well with it. Sadly the fans out there are so picky and so vocal and critical that it makes success of future versions near impossible

Personally I would have rather they started a new story with WHOLE new characters a long long time ago sometime far far further in the future.  It would have been fan service, you keep what the books wrote intact for the most part and you also have the chance to still do whatever you want.  I didn't really see the need for them to still link Luke, Han, and Leia to this story since this could have been a Star Wars for a new generation who were never exposed to the original.

I don't like that idea, you might as well just make a new movie then.

It may be a good idea but it will be perceived (at least by me) as a cheap way to get artistic license while piggy backing a well known franchise. To me, that's cheating.

I don't like that idea, you might as well just make a new movie then.

It may be a good idea but it will be perceived (at least by me) as a cheap way to get artistic license while piggy backing a well known franchise. To me, that's cheating.

It's the same thing as Next Generation to the Original series in Star Trek.  Sometimes a whole new story is fresher and what you need.  I think when you have an entire "universe" at your disposal you should take more liberty.  That was one of my main problems with alternate reality Star Trek, you're picking backing on established stories and tweaking it slightly instead of just making an original story. 

I think writers these days are just scared to make an original story and they figure it's easier to just piggy back (which is what they are doing IMO) off the success of the established franchise.

I still think that this movie, in order to be interesting, needs to be centered around Jacen Solo. The most interesting character in the comics/books by far. Even more interesting than Anakim.

• Like 1

I still think that this movie, in order to be interesting, needs to be centered around Jacen Solo. The most interesting character in the comics/books by far. Even more interesting than Anakim.

He doesn't exist in the movie universe, not yet anyway, he might but.... not as the one you know from the books.

the books are good, some of them, some are just stupid. But they completely ruin the possibility of expanding the movies, the EU was never going to be compatible with episode 7-9. 

He doesn't exist in the movie universe, not yet anyway, he might but.... not as the one you know from the books.

the books are good, some of them, some are just stupid. But they completely ruin the possibility of expanding the movies, the EU was never going to be compatible with episode 7-9. 

Well, I still trust Abrahams hundreds times more, as a director, than Lucas.

• Like 1

Well, I still trust Abrahams hundreds times more, as a director, than Lucas.

Well what does that have anything to do with anything.

And I doubt any of Abrahams movies will last as long and be as memorable as the movies George has given us and the universe he created for us. 40 year old movies and they're still getting new fans, they're still looking fantastic. The story might not be super deep but it's the best damn scifi made.

Abrams. The director's name is JJ Abrams.  :argh:

If you're so sold on his ability, the least you could do is remember his actual last name.

• Like 2

Well what does that have anything to do with anything.

Everything, if the intent is to generate interest about this movie.

And I doubt any of Abrahams movies will last as long and be as memorable as the movies George has given us and the universe he created for us. 40 year old movies and they're still getting new fans, they're still looking fantastic. The story might not be super deep but it's the best damn scifi made.

As I said in this thread, some months ago: The original movies are not that good. It's popular because they launched the epic trilogy genre and because we are a nostalgic society. It's fans, both old and new, praise it as a masterpiece because of only one reason: Cultural validation. Beyond that, they are quite pedestrian. The direction was bad, the acting was nothing to write home about, the script was barely above average.

But I will recognize this: Lucas has written a great character in Anakim Skywalker/Darth Vader.

Abrams. The director's name is JJ Abrams.  :argh:

If you're so sold on his ability, the least you could do is remember his actual last name.

So sorry that adding an extra 'h' invalidates my opinion. You're right, it's such a crucial element.

• Like 1

So sorry that adding an extra 'h' invalidates my opinion. You're right, it's such a crucial element.

Never said nor indicated it affected your opinion. I'm pointing out that if you're a fan of the guy, does it require that much effort to get his name right? Actually, being a fan shouldn't have anything to do with it. Speaking the names Abrams and Abrahams are quite different, even if their differences are an H and an extra A. Might as well point out that it's Anakin, not Anakim... ;)

Never said nor indicated it affected your opinion. I'm pointing out that if you're a fan of the guy, does it require that much effort to get his name right? Actually, being a fan shouldn't have anything to do with it. Speaking the names Abrams and Abrahams are quite different, even if their differences are an H and an extra A. Might as well point out that it's Anakin, not Anakim... ;)

Never said I'm a fan. Just said that he's the better director. In my defense, I'm Mexican, and here both the press and the public say his name as it has an H. So yeah, pure ignorance from my part.

However, this illustrates perfectly why I dont like talking with Star Wars (And Trek) fans: People point out and debate such shallow things...

Never said I'm a fan. Just said that he's the better director. In my defense, I'm Mexican, and here both the press and the public say his name as it has an H. So yeah, pure ignorance from my part.

However, this illustrates perfectly why I dont like talking with Star Wars (And Trek) fans: People point out and debate such shallow things...

It has nothing to do with Star Wars or Star Trek, and it's been brought up in other threads related to Abrams. Don't get why you and one or two others are so insistent on misspelling his name, but I digress.

I think Abrams will do the movie justice visually. I'm hopeful that the writing will be better than the prequels and Star Trek Into Darkness, especially since Orci and Lindelof aren't involved.

Don't get why you and one or two others are so insistent on misspelling his name, but I digress.

OCD.

As I said in this thread, some months ago: The original movies are not that good. It's popular because they launched the epic trilogy genre and because we are a nostalgic society. It's fans, both old and new, praise it as a masterpiece because of only one reason: Cultural validation. Beyond that, they are quite pedestrian. The direction was bad, the acting was nothing to write home about, the script was barely above average.

I agree with this. Like, I grew up on the original trilogy. I love it to death, but I think that if A New Hope were released today, it would be met with the same reaction as the latest Riddick film. 

• Like 1

I agree with this. Like, I grew up on the original trilogy. I love it to death, but I think that if A New Hope were released today, it would be met with the same reaction as the latest Riddick film. 

Hey. . .leave Riddick out this. . .I enjoyed them regardless of how bad they were, or as some thought they were. . . :) :) :)

As I said in this thread, some months ago: The original movies are not that good. It's popular because they launched the epic trilogy genre and because we are a nostalgic society. It's fans, both old and new, praise it as a masterpiece because of only one reason: Cultural validation.

I would enjoy the movies now.

They are quite good even by today's standards. I require no cultural validation since I know no one that gives a damn about star wars (or star trek). It's not nostalgia either, I didn't watch star wars until I was well over 20 years old. Your reason is sound but it's not always accurate. Some people genuinely like the movies because they think they're good movies; you're just not one of them.

• Like 2

Hey. . .leave Riddick out this. . .I enjoyed them regardless of how bad they were, or as some thought they were. . . :) :) :)

Those films are guilty pleasures :P

• 3 weeks later...

The trio of new leads for Star Wars: Episode VII has yet to be revealed, but an actor from the original franchise is returning to reprise his role. Peter Mayhew will play Chewbacca for Disney and Lucasfilm's upcoming sequel, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Source

Can't wait to see it!

At the wizened age of 5, I thought Star Wars (not yet titled A New Hope) was very boring until and after the lightsaber fight.  It was a necessary and integral part of trilogy, so of course I watched it until the VHS tape wore out, but it was really The Empire Stikes Back and Return of the Jedi that were good.  Both are among the greatest movies of all time.  TESB probably wins out because it didn't have Ewoks.  I thought Wicket was awesome, but I was 5.  Revenge of the Sith makes a valiant effort but still doesn't quite measure up.  I was very disappointed when it was announced that the "new" trilogy was going to be a prequel, but of course I watched it anyway because it was Star Wars.  Now I'm waiting for these new films with great hope because I'm finally getting the sequel I've been waiting for most of my life, but I'm ambivalent because it's not George Lucas, and even if it were, George proved with the prequel trilogy that he didn't have any business making films anymore.  J.J. did a fantastic job with Star Trek, but then only a so-so job with Into Darkness.  If that is an accurate gauge then perhaps the first film will blow us away and the second film maybe not so much.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see and hope for the best.

I thought the last Riddick film was great.  Not as good as Pitch Black, but better then the previous.  Actually it's almost like they were poorly trying to emulate Star Wars.  Maybe they should give Vin a lightsaber and make him a Sith lord in the new trilogy.

• Like 1