1395193046892.jpg

The viewing angle is also apparently the same as Rift.

Lastly

Sony isn?t working with Oculus to unify the development environment, but it is open to doing so and finally, the amount of power required to enable VR means Vita and mobile compatibility are unlikely at this point.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pote...ject-morpheus/

From one of the things I read it's going to require the PS camera for movement tracking, Sony really should have bundled that then like Microsoft did, now you need to buy two things :laugh:

Let's force bundle a camera for unannounced VR tech that has quite a while to come out and will clearly not be in everyone's price range initially. Sounds like a great idea for consumers :/

In the UK at least anyway there was one launch bundle with Killzone and the camera.

• Like 2

1395193046892.jpg

Lastly

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pote...ject-morpheus/

Let's force bundle a camera for unannounced VR tech that has quite a while to come out and will clearly not be in everyone's price range initially. Sounds like a great idea for consumers :/

In the UK at least anyway there was one launch bundle with Killzone and the camera.

the OR dev kits have only been released as the sub HD ready version yet.

the final version will be full HD.

though, I believe it will use a single 1080 screen for both eyes. 

My main question is the same with all announced headsets.... WILL THEY FIT OVER GLASSES!!!!???

they don't need to. the optics are adjustable.

1395193046892.jpg

I would expect it to be, Sony have a lot more money to invest in VR compared to Rift and have been trying to make a consumer version for years. Finally they have hardware which would make it worthwhile (PS4) and are finally releasing one.

There is no requirement to use the move controller with the PS4, move controllers were needed for motion detection on the PS3.

Sony clearly said at their event that this VR headset was designed to work with move and the ps4 eye. Now I would guess its not required, but it seems clear Sony intends to push all three as a complete experience.

It makes a lot of sense.

1395193046892.jpg

Whoa, its superior?

I'm confused then. Rift requires some fairly hefty hardware on the pc to work well. If Sony is able to produce a headset that works with the weaker ps4 that offer better visual quality, then they have really achieved something.

Now I'm very interested to see what the final specs are.

Sony clearly said at their event that this VR headset was designed to work with move and the ps4 eye. Now I would guess its not required, but it seems clear Sony intends to push all three as a complete experience.

It makes a lot of sense.

No, it does require the PS Eye. Unlike the rift, it doesn't have a full sensor suite for detecting rotation, tilt and all that. It uses the eye for doing all this. Personally I think it's a bad idea that will add delay and possibly less accuracy. They might change this anyway and it seems to work fine as it is, it's not like the VR headset movement needs to be instant anyway.

No, it does require the PS Eye. Unlike the rift, it doesn't have a full sensor suite for detecting rotation, tilt and all that. It uses the eye for doing all this. Personally I think it's a bad idea that will add delay and possibly less accuracy. They might change this anyway and it seems to work fine as it is, it's not like the VR headset movement needs to be instant anyway.

Ah ok, does it also require using Move or is that optional? This sounds like the setup I would expect MS to use as well.

Whoa, its superior?I'm confused then. Rift requires some fairly hefty hardware on the pc to work well. If Sony is able to produce a headset that works with the weaker ps4 that offer better visual quality, then they have really achieved something.Now I'm very interested to see what the final specs are.

The rift today isn't very optimized in its rendering especially since it uses a single screen and need to do some image manipulation on top of everything.

The thing that makes it sharper is that it's full HD which the current OR isn't, it's also full HD x2 which the final OR won't be but full HD/2 where each eye gets half horizontal res, slightly less that that as well actually due to the way the OR presents and delivers the image(if you see the actual picture rendered on the OR screen you'll see it doesn't go entirely to the edge of the screen and it's kind of oval so you lunch a whole lot of pixels in the corners).

Now this might seem like these VR images would require more power, but they might actually require less. We know the PS4 can do full HD even if it may need to sacrifice some FPS or details in the form of effects or poly counts. Either way it's not a problem, we also know it can do stereoscopic rendering like the PS3 and 360 at very little cost due to not fully rendering two cameras at full HD but rendering a layered image or something and applying some fancy stuff on top, either way it works. These glasses basically work like that they just give each eye one of the stereoscopic full frames.

Ah ok, does it also require using Move or is that optional? This sounds like the setup I would expect MS to use as well.

If it's virtual reality, using Move makes more sense than a controller but that's just me. :/ A Kinect like approach will suit it the best though.

As far as I understand it's optional and up to the game, on a racer or flight sim for example you'd want to use a pad/stick/wheel while... Well I'm sure there some kind of game where you'd want to be able to use the move controller... As cool as it would be Ina FPS game to use the move to move your hand and aim, in practicality I would rather run around with a regular controller while using VR to look around, imagine how quickly your arms would get tired from playing SWAT VR for a few hours with move controllers ;)

this thing will never take off.

now, if you own a ps4 and want to experience it, you're going to have to purchase the ps4 camera and the VR.  

And I'd personally hate to wear anything on top of my glasses to experience anything. 

I'd rather just ms concentrate on making illumiroom a commercial reality rather than focusing on VR tech that'll likely fail, commercially.  The large majority of people, right now, do not want to be wearing these great, big things on their heads when they're playing a game (I'm assuming).  

this thing will never take off.

now, if you own a ps4 and want to experience it, you're going to have to purchase the ps4 camera and the VR.  

And I'd personally hate to wear anything on top of my glasses to experience anything. 

I'd rather just ms concentrate on making illumiroom a commercial reality rather than focusing on VR tech that'll likely fail, commercially.  The large majority of people, right now, do not want to be wearing these great, big things on their heads when they're playing a game (I'm assuming).

You don't wear glasses with a VR helmet/visor. You adjust the optics until you see clearly.

Impressions getting rounded up here - http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787487

AewKxuS.png

BjG7pF6CUAAdHj3.jpg

So the resolution is not an issue for Morpheus. The depth is good, comfort is good... Not best tracking, but can be fixed I think. I'm definitely looking forward to developing for Morpheus. #GDC2014

Morpheus did not feel the same as oculus. I mean that in more than one way. The only thing I would have liked more besides tracking is that the sound was too quiet so I could not hear the nuances of the sound work done by Sony.

The first demo I played was The Deep. I was inside a cage going underwater and got attacked by a shark. The second demo was one where I could move more freely; punching and shooting in a medieval setting. I got eaten by a dragon. Both demos looked impressive graphically and the depth was very well done. Bubbles close and wreckage far away in the deep. The current downsides for Sony to work through: tracking, quicker resetting of calibration, and perhaps the sound.

What currently sets Morpheus apart from what I've done with oculus is the clarity of very near and far as well as full body tracking, and overall comfort of course. The consumer version of Morpheus (as this was a prototype) will hopefully have more precise tracking with good calibration, and good 3dsound. I must emphasize the comfort. Morpheus is very comfortable; I didn't even think about that I was wearing it until I got asked in an interview.

Project Morpheus gets Sony a gold star so far.

• Like 2

Sony has done it again, VR could be the new hot thing for them. That will also have the nice bonus side affect for them of making the ps4 eye much more popular as well.

Now they just need content and a decent price. I assume they will offer it alone and then in a bundle with the ps4 eye.

Based on that picture from the demo, using the ds4 with it is fine, but I could see this setup resulting in Move controllers getting a lot more popular as well.

Sony clearly said at their event that this VR headset was designed to work with move and the ps4 eye. Now I would guess its not required, but it seems clear Sony intends to push all three as a complete experience.It makes a lot of sense.

As someone who owns a PS4 and the PS4 Eye I can tell you that you don't require move controllers to use the motion control. Move controllers were a requirement for PS3 but aren't for PS4. Obviously you can hold onto them when your playing motion detection games (like Just Dance, Playroom or something) on the PS4 if you prefer to hold onto a controller and it gives slightly better tracking accuracy but it's not required I use the PS4 without move controllers.

As someone who owns a PS4 and the PS4 Eye I can tell you that you don't require move controllers to use the motion control. Move controllers were a requirement for PS3 but aren't for PS4. Obviously you can hold onto them when your playing motion detection games (like Just Dance, Playroom or something) on the PS4 if you prefer to hold onto a controller and it gives slightly better tracking accuracy but it's not required I use the PS4 without move controllers.

I never said it was required at all. I said designed to work with those things.

In a VR setting, the Move controllers could be very useful.

I know full well that the ps4 eye works on its own for motion controls as I have used it myself. I was just talking about this new VR announcements,

You don't wear glasses with a VR helmet/visor. You adjust the optics until you see clearly.

You can wear glasses with it. I don't know if you have to, but you can.

Designed to fit any head, and even slip over glasses, the headset features an open and adjustable design to avoid fogging and overheating, Sony said. It will also support custom headphones.

The real issue is making it wireless. No one is going to want big cables hanging off of the thing while playing.

The real issue is making it wireless. No one is going to want big cables hanging off of the thing while playing.

Yeah, how in the world are you going to transmit a 1080p single with a high frame rate over a wireless signal. The variables are quite numerous. I mean the best use of wireless I have seen would be something like the ps4 remote play with a Vita, but even though doesn't work at full quality and its a much small screen.

That would be wicked cool. I don't know if they'll be able to adjust for other vision issues people have, between stigmatisms and whatnot, but I'm simply nearsighted. It'd be amazing to play without glasses...

As far as wires are concerned, I really wouldn't mind honestly. I've got a mix of wired and wireless devices and it's not really a big deal for me. Both sides have their perks. I'd easily sacrifice having a wired VR set if it means I could have a good wired VR headset. :P

I'd like to hear/see more about people using this of course. I really hope the development takes off here, as opposed to being this gimmicky idea that doesn't get used well. Oculus has quite the momentum behind it with Valve taking interest to it. It'd be nice if they could do something with OR on the PC and transition it well enough to the PS4's VR.

With nearsightedness you shouldn't even need to adjust anything though as it should be within the area you have good vision anyway.