[Q]Cannot always access router gui

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

Circaflex

Hey guys so I have a dlink router, not sure of the model at the moment but can get that later, that is running its newest available firmware. I have been having this issue for some time and cant quite figure it out. Sometimes I cannot access the router interface via 192.168.1.1 or 1.2 it will say page not found. I have to power cycle my modem and router and then I can login to the interface as normal. Is the router going bad or faulty?

On another question sometimes when I search via Internet Explorer 11's address bar it will work and search via bing, sometimes I get a weird timewarner page that shows dnssearch.com in the address bar and it has search results but not bing. system is malware free could these two be related?

This is also a hardwire connection

8 answers to this question

+BudMan

Well unless you have more than 100mbit internet access then gig on the router gets you nothing in your current configuration

So is this a business, that router is junk for a business (home use too most likely) - that is a really cheap home router.  Did I oversleep or something the date on this firmware is

• Firmware (3.01)  
  • 07/13/16

2016???  WTF? ;)

I would highly suggest you just purchase a decent router.  You mention 24 port switch, how many users/machines using the internet - what speed of internet do you have?  If services are going bad on the router -- ie you can not access the gui, then I have to assume you use it as a dns forwarder that could have issues as well.

I would look to say a entry level 800 series cisco if this is business.  Or even maybe a 1900 series.. Or if budget - you got old pc or any sort of virtual environment run something like pfsense, or m0n0wall or ipcop or etc. etc..  

+BudMan

"to power cycle my modem and router"

Why would you have to power cycle the modem?  That has nothing to do with accessing the routers interface.  Why don't you give the exact model numbers of your devices, and vs saying your on the latest, which to be honest in my experience is rarely the case ;)  Give use the actual version number of the firmware your running.

Does internet work?  Can you ping your gateway (router)..  Why are you giving 2 addresses 192.168.1.1 and 1.2??  Do you not know which one it is?  Your router is not going to have 2 addresses - and that seems unlikely to be a "modems" if on the same exact network??

As dnssearch?  Does this happen when you have to reset, or just thought you would throw 2 completely unrelated problems together?  I would guess your ISP is highjacking dns if your seeing such a page.

Circaflex

@Budman

Power cycling both is just a habit, uncessary I know, so I will stop doing that.

Model: DLINK EBR-2310 ver. C

Firmware: 3.01

Internet works even when I cannot access the router gui

I can ping the gateway

My mistake on inlcuding 1.2, my router is accessed via 192.168.1.1

I have noticed the dnssearch issue happening more frequently when I cannot access our routers GUI.

To be honest I am thinking this rounter is a giant POS anyways and am looking for a replacement that has 10/100/1000 anyways.

I figured it would not have matter mentioning we have a 24 port gigabit switch attached as well but I will try to put up a diagram here. I figure I should replace this router anyways because I do not get gigabit, correct me if I am wrong, because not all devices on the network that are hardwired have 10/100/1000 nics.

Coax -> motoralla surfboard -> EBR-2310 -> 24port switch and all computers run through the switch, I only have port 1 filled on the router which goes from the router to the switch to give internet access.

cork1958

• Firmware (3.01)  
  • 07/13/16

2016???  WTF? ;)

Well,

OP said it was to up to date!! :wacko:

+John Teacake

I would still check for this dnssearch thing been the culprit....

Riggers

From doing a quick search it seems you can disable the redirect by going to the below address then select "Why am i here". Next in preferences Select Disable the Web Address Error Redirect Service.

It happens when you put an incorrect address in the address bar.

dnssearch.rr.com

And get a decent router...

Circaflex

Thanks for the input, this is purely a home network with 9 computers running off of it. Thanks for all of the input and putting up with my noob question.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      BT announces new plan to have customers return routers after contracts end
      by Paul Hill

BT has announced that it will introduce a charge of £50 for new customers that don’t return their router at the end of the contract. The firm also owns EE and Plusnet and is planning to bring a similar charge to those services. While customers may not like the idea of a fine, they may be glad that the scheme will cut down on old router clutter, BT will also be able to properly deal with the waste which is good for the environment.

Under the new scheme, BT will charge customers between £43 and £50 if they want to keep their router, the pricing depends upon the model of the device. Customers with the BT YouView set-top box will be charged between £60 and £115 if they choose to keep their hardware. While the change hasn’t seen BT reduce its monthly subscription rates, it has said that customers will not have to pay the charge upfront.

If you don’t use the post office much and concerned about how you return the device, BT will send customers a padded envelope to put the router in. Alternatively, customers can drop off their equipment at a BT or EE shop on their local high street. The firm believes that one million set-top boxes and routers will avoid the landfill thanks to this charge.

Commenting on the news, a spokesperson said:

Critics of the initiative said it would be more environmentally friendly if firms worked towards interoperability between their routers so that customers could go on using their older hardware. With that method, however, customers with aging hardware would likely miss out on important security updates and experience hardware faults as the device ages and deteriorates.

Source: Financial Times Via: BBC News

• By The Dark Knight
      New home server build! Low power, whisper quiet and powered on 24/7. 

AMD Athlon 200GE based system, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 60GB SSD, 1.65TB HDD storage (1TB + 650GB), Corsair 450W power supply. Onboard LAN plus additional TP-Link NIC, both Realtek chipsets.

Running Windows 10 Pro. Didn't want Linux as a base as I'm just a beginner in Linux. Windows, I know. If anything goes wrong, I can deal with it easily.
      Hyper-V configured with 3 VM's as of now - OPNsense for my router, OpenMediaVault for file access and sharing across network and Ubuntu Server. Still figuring out what to run on Ubuntu. Might start with migrating Pi-hole over to this VM from my RPi so that I can use that Pi for something else. Also serving music to my RPi based music player in the living room and any other device via Samba shares. I had initially planned to also host my personal website from home, but after reading about the risks (DDoS especially) I've decided not to and continue paying for professional hosting.

Shout out to @BudMan through whom I got to know about pfSense. Otherwise I would have never known that it was even possible to basically make your own router! I finally went with OPNsense though (fork of pfSense) as I simply love the GUI. Mouth opened and fell to the floor looking at the feature set of these router operating systems! Correctly configured, they can seriously blow the pants off any commercially available home router!

In all my research on the router OS I did see practically everyone recommending Intel network cards as they work very well with FreeBSD (the base OS of pfSense and OPNsense). But so far, I have had zero issues with my Realtek based NIC's. I've yet to stress test the network though, so will then see how these NIC's fare compared to Intel. But currently, only me and my wife are pushing gig on the LAN, other family members usage is very low.
    • By eliminatrix2
      Hi There,

Just after some recommendations for a modem / router with a really good inbuilt firewall - I'd like to be able to block specific IP addresses as well as a full range of IP addresses = EG: 192.16.0.1 to 192.168.0.20

Thanks!
    • By hendy
      Modem running as first router on 192.168.0.1 with DHCP on (mask 255.255.255.0 address range 10-254).  Second router wired to first on 192.168.0.2 with DHCP off, in router mode. Internet works for clients attached to either router.

However, I want to be able to connect to either router from any client. File sharing across clients on different router seems to also drop. When I make a change to the configuration (IP address, DNS server, gateway, etc.) the second router is visible from clients on the first (it shows up in "arp -a"). After some time, the router IP, 192.168.0.2 just drops off the list (can't ping it, can't login to admin). I am still able to login to the router if I'm connected to it directly, but it is really annoying that I can't see it within the 192.168.0.x network and not having file sharing is a no starter. Also, when I'm on the second router, I can see the first router and a PC I'm trying to file share with. However, the files are inaccessible but the Internet is fine.

If it is supposed to do this, I don't get it. If it is not supposed to do it, I have no idea what is causing it. 
    • By Timi Cantisano
      Razer's Sila is tri-band AC3000 gaming router priced at $249.99
      by Timi Cantisano

Razer is known for its many gaming products so it only seems natural that it would release its own router. Today, the firm has done just that, announcing its new Sila gaming router.

Like many of its products, this is aimed at gamers looking for the best performance. Not only will this router deliver excellent speeds, but it will also have the ability to "prioritize your applications for smooth wireless gaming performance".

The router is capable of making this a possibility with its Razer FasTrack engine, which can "prioritize bandwidth when too many applications or devices are in use". If you want to make things easy, you can just pop the router into Game Mode and let it handle the prioritizations itself and even have the router prioritize hardware like game consoles and PCs. According to Razer, the router can also increase Wi-Fi signal strength by operating on "normally-restricted bandwidth frequencies".

Like many high-end routers, you can purchase and combine up to three Razer Sila units together in a group to create a Mesh network. This will allow you to get the best performance and signal strength if you are using the router in a larger space that may have dead areas. Three Sila units will be able to cover up to 9,000 feet.

The Razer Sila does also have an iOS and Android app that will allow for easy customizations. If interested, the router is now available from the Razer website and will cost $249.99. For a limited time, the firm is offering free shipping.

Source: Razer via The Verge