2004 MLB offseason thread

As we anxiously await the start of spring training 2004, weve got lots of offseason business to follow. several big deals have already gone through - schilling to the Red Sox, Sheffield soon going to the yankees :( , billy wagner went to the phils, as did eric milton earlier today. there are a plethora of big time free agents still available. Greg Maddux, Javy Lopez, Vlad Guerrero, Miguel Tejada, Andy Petitte, Pudge Rodriguez, Kevin Millwood, Keith Foulke, Bartolo Colon, just to name a few. This thread is the place to post any news, rumors, or opions of free agent signings, trades, or any other trasnasctions this offseason.

What's goin on with the Braves???? Are they just gonna sit back and not make any moves? Losing Sheffield SUCKS! I thought for sure he was the one player they would try to hold on to. Grrrrr...

I would love to have the money to get Colon back. MLB has to learn how to run a team and let us spend some money.

Losing Guerrero would be the biggest nail in the coffic, IMO. I hope he stays, nostalgia tends to keep some players longer here than would otherwise be normal.

I would love to have the money to get Colon back. MLB has to learn how to run a team and let us spend some money.

Losing Guerrero would be the biggest nail in the coffic, IMO. I hope he stays, nostalgia tends to keep some players longer here than would otherwise be normal.

Agreed. Revenue sharing would be a good thing for baseball. Teams like Montreal and Milwaukee would benefit, but the players union wouldn't hear of it.

Sheffield didn't want to stay in Atlanta, from what I heard toward the end of the season. He was ****ed the Braves didn't already offer him an extension, and he has a point. They should have re-signed him by the All-Star break, but when September came and he still wasn't re-signed I knew he was going. Sucks, too, because I thought they would keep him, let Lopez go, call up Johnny Estrada, then re-sign Kevin Millwood or Keith Foulke (to set up Smoltz). Now, I'm even wondering if they will re-sign Maddux.

Oh well, maybe they are setting up some money to sign Vlad Guerrero? How sick would that outfield be? The one thing I'm always leary of is big hitters going from NL to AL or vice versa. If Vlad went to the Braves he would stay in the NL (East for that matter) where he has put up Hall of Fame numbers. That would be 2 HoF outfielders, possibly a 3rd with Andruw (needs to get his average up, dammit!).

We'll see what happens. The one thing I'm sure of, as every off-season, is that I f**ckin hate the Yankees with an extreme passion. Teams that buy their championships get no respect from me. Teams like Oakland, Florida, Seattle...even the Giants. That's what I like to see; considering the Braves lose every post-season as it is, gotta root for someone :angry:

What's goin on with the Braves???? Are they just gonna sit back and not make any moves? Losing Sheffield SUCKS! I thought for sure he was the one player they would try to hold on to. Grrrrr...

basically the red sox/yankees rivalry has taken center stage. they are signing all the big players, making all the big trades, all with hopes of knocking the other team off. its a very exciting war, but i would love to see the other 28 teams get off their asses and make some moves. the braves need to resign maddux, lopez will be too expensive, and they need to think about going after millwood or vlad.

Honestly, that would be horrible because it would mean one of the two teams would have to lose.

it would be cool for the team that won, but the red sox and cubs kinda feed off of eachother, if one of them won, the other would be all alone

anyone think A-rod is gonna get traded? i dont think anyone will take on his salary. boston would be the most likely, but then they would have to get rid of nomar.

anyone think A-rod is gonna get traded? i dont think anyone will take on his salary. boston would be the most likely, but then they would have to get rid of nomar.

I agree. The salary is too much. Texas basically screwed themselves with that contract.

Nomar will most likely go after 2004 season anyway since his contract is up. Boston has to sign Pedro, Lowe, Vertiek, Nomar and Trot Nixon after 2004 and they cant afford all of them.

theyve got schilling now, so it wont kill them to part with lowe. nomar is loved in boston and from what ive heard from him, he wants to stay and would probably take less money to do so. but hey nomar, if things dont work out in boston, we'd love to have you in atlanta

theyve got schilling now, so it wont kill them to part with lowe. nomar is loved in boston and from what ive heard from him, he wants to stay and would probably take less money to do so. but hey nomar, if things dont work out in boston, we'd love to have you in atlanta

wtf is wrong with furcal? id rather have furcal, and pay him alost less than spend a ton of money on nomar.. nomar is good, but i think furcl should suffice - it would be hard to replace his speed

wtf is wrong with furcal?  id rather have furcal, and pay him alost less than spend a ton of money on nomar.. nomar is good, but i think furcl should suffice - it would be hard to replace his speed

move nomar to 3rd, castilla wont be around much longer, and nomar would be 1000 times better than chipper "i dont give a f*ck" jones ever was at 3rd

move nomar to 3rd, castilla wont be around much longer, and nomar would be 1000 times better than chipper "i dont give a f*ck" jones ever was at 3rd

Some pent up Chipper Anger, Cat? hehe. Deservedly so after he won the MVP.

Some pent up Chipper Anger, Cat? hehe. Deservedly so after he won the MVP.

yes, i despise chipper jones. ive never really liked him, even during the mvp season, he always has a chip on his shoulder. he doesnt hustle, and seems to think the franchise revolves around him. he was recently shocked to discover that he was rumored to be traded. he went on sports radio in atlanta and whined about not being wanted and whatnot. he has yet to accept his move to left field, which came as a result of his sucking at 3rd base. he needs to just shut up and play ball.

yes, i despise chipper jones. ive never really liked him, even during the mvp season, he always has a chip on his shoulder. he doesnt hustle, and seems to think the franchise revolves around him. he was recently shocked to discover that he was rumored to be traded. he went on sports radio in atlanta and whined about not being wanted and whatnot. he has yet to accept his move to left field, which came as a result of his sucking at 3rd base. he needs to just shut up and play ball.

I agree. Whether or not he realizes it, the move to left was the best thing Atlanta could have done for him, and yet he doesn't realize it. Chipper for Nomar. Hmmm..I like that idea a lot!

Yankees make another big move. They traded Nick Johnson, Randy Choate, and Juan Rivera to Montreal for Javier Vasquez. Probably one of the best young pitchers in the league.

Yankees make another big move. They traded Nick Johnson, Randy Choate, and Juan Rivera to Montreal for Javier Vasquez. Probably one of the best young pitchers in the league.

The rich get richer. Sheesh.

whoa! montreal has maintained that they wouldnt get rid of vasquez, i know some yankees fans that wont be happy about losing nick johnson. losing in the playoffs isnt gonna cut it for steinbrenner and cashman, too bad its good enough for AOL Time Warner and Schuerholz