McAfee Enterprise 7.1

Question

Evening all,

Well I got an email at work today from out IT chaps saying that I can have a copy of McAfee for home use as I do work from home every now and then and it is part of the Xerox/McAfee license agreement. Anyway I knew about this already but never knew how to obtain a copy so I replied to the email and got all signed up, etc. and I now have a copy of McAfee Enterprise 7.1 installed (I removed AVG 7 which is what I have been using).

Now my question is... Does McAfee Enterprise 7.1 support POP3/SMTP e-mail scanning? I looked in the options and the help but I can only seem to find options for Exchange (MAPI, IMAP). So does anyone know the answer to this question? I can't find any information anywhere :( I can't see any need for it if it doesn't support POP3/SMTP as I don't use Exchange at home! Any info on this would be great.

Cheers all

1 answer to this question

Right well I am so impatient I couldn't wait for a reply heh

I just disabled the on-demand scanning and downloaded the EICAR test string. I zipped the eicar.com file into eicar.zip and e-mailed it to myself and I e-mailed the eicar.com.txt file as a plain text attachment.

I then enabled the on-demand scanning and hit send/receive in Outlook (I use Outlook 2003) and it detected the virus in both of the e-mails :) it moved them to the Quarantine folder that was created during the McAfee Enterprise 7.1 install and created 2 new e-mails in my ibox with information regarding the virus' found :)

So to answer my own question yes it does support POP3/SMTP :)