Top Gun Maverick (May 25, 2022)

We're going to have to feel the need for another year at this rate unless things drastically change in the fall/winter time and they could just as well push releases back up to.   I think they're loading 2021 with to much stuff, so the normal 2021 films are now going to have to go to 2022?  There's just not enough room in the summer time for all the big names looking to release.

9 minutes ago, George P said:

There's just not enough room in the summer time for all the big names looking to release.

Think about the financial aspect of the consumer.  If they delay all these films to 2021, as well as the (admittedly fewer) firls that also come out in 2021, it's not like viewers will go that much more to the cinema, so yeah I agree that either some will be further postponed, or they will capitalise on home streaming with releases there.

2 minutes ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

Think about the financial aspect of the consumer.  If they delay all these films to 2021, as well as the (admittedly fewer) firls that also come out in 2021, it's not like viewers will go that much more to the cinema, so yeah I agree that either some will be further postponed, or they will capitalise on home streaming with releases there.

It wouldn't surprise me if they just have shorter theatrical runs, they get a big pop in ticket sales and then go to BD/DVD/VOD sooner than normal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, George P said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they just have shorter theatrical runs, they get a big pop in ticket sales and then go to BD/DVD/VOD sooner than normal.

See, there was a point when the industry flirted with that a few years ago, as there is more money for studios to be made through the home market than the cinemas apparently.

1 hour ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

See, there was a point when the industry flirted with that a few years ago, as there is more money for studios to be made through the home market than the cinemas apparently.

For sure, less of a split when you're streaming and selling a disc to a person directly compared to each ticket sold where the cinema gets it's bigger cut of the pie.  

• Like 1

• Steven P. unlocked this topic
  • 1 year later...
  • George P changed the title to Top Gun Maverick (May 25, 2022)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Early reactions are coming out for this now, they showed it to people at Cinemacon yesterday.   Everyone sounds very positive about it from the few YT vids I've seen.   My hype levels for it are going up now, I was always going to watch it either way though.

• 4 weeks later...

This movie is great, I suggest people see it even if you're not a fan of the original.

Spoiler

The ending of the 2nd part is epic IMO.  Maverick goes full boss mode to show everyone why he's a legend.  

Really can't describe the emotions of seeing this film. So much better than the first ,.super fun to watch and honestly really pushing the boundaries of modern film making 

Just saw a post saying this had a massive $86 million second weekend.  Big numbers and I'm glad it's getting it.  Should get all the money it can and then some.  

I haven't seen it but an online friend gave me his review

"Top gun maverick, was F**king dope, I loved it man! It was really really good! No LGBTQA barbecue bullsh**, just pure, good fun, seriousness American pride, beautiful."

LOL Now I really want to see it! I'm in no rush to see it in theater. I'll wait till it comes out on Digital, I have a movie theater in my house with a 7.1 speaker setup that will rattle the pictures off the wall.

• Like 1

I am surprised it is getting such rave reviews - never would have thought .... I was expecting average at best.

Might have to watch it.

I never saw the original. Hopefully it will not matter. Unless you recommend I find the origjnal and watch it somehow before?

On 27/05/2022 at 02:15, George P said:

This movie is great, I suggest people see it even if you're not a fan of the original.

Reveal hidden contents

The ending of the 2nd part is epic IMO.  Maverick goes full boss mode to show everyone why he's a legend.  

I never saw it. Is it the same as not a fan?

On 05/06/2022 at 13:10, E.Worm Jimmy said:

I am surprised it is getting such rave reviews - never would have thought .... I was expecting average at best.

Might have to watch it.

I never saw the original. Hopefully it will not matter. Unless you recommend I find the origjnal and watch it somehow before?

I think the original is on netflix (if you have it). I'd recommend watching ... it's an 80's classic.

• Thanks 1

On 05/06/2022 at 21:10, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Might have to watch it.

You don't have to watch the original but some scenes won't have the same level of emotional impact IMO.  Of course I saw the original growing up so I have bias going here.  It'd make the second better overall I'd say.

• Thanks 1

On 05/06/2022 at 14:17, warwagon said:

I think the original is on netflix (if you have it). I'd recommend watching ... it's an 80's classic.

On 05/06/2022 at 14:18, George P said:

You don't have to watch the original but some scenes won't have the same level of emotional impact IMO.  Of course I saw the original growing up so I have bias going here.  It'd make the second better overall I'd say.

Ok thanks. I will watch them both in a row when the time comes

On 05/06/2022 at 20:38, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Ok thanks. I will watch them both in a row when the time comes

Do so... You won't fully understand the "Iceman" or "Goose" stuff without...

• Like 2

Man, this movie was everything I wanted it to be. 11/10

I would strongly suggest that everyone should watch the original before going into this. I really does make the experience better. And man... what a freakin' experience. Watch it in IMAX!

On 11/06/2022 at 20:57, McCordRm said:

Man, this movie was everything I wanted it to be. 11/10

I would strongly suggest that everyone should watch the original before going into this. I really does make the experience better. And man... what a freakin' experience. Watch it in IMAX!

The filming technique of having the cast actually inside a cockpit during flight is incredible.  It makes everything so much more convincing.

On 05/06/2022 at 10:56, warwagon said:

I haven't seen it but an online friend gave me his review

"Top gun maverick, was F**king dope, I loved it man! It was really really good! No LGBTQA barbecue bullsh**, just pure, good fun, seriousness American pride, beautiful."

LOL Now I really want to see it! 

I'm really surprised how much Top Gun brings out the demonstrably raw homophobia in people.

On 13/06/2022 at 08:39, mram said:

I'm really surprised how much Top Gun brings out the demonstrably raw homophobia in people.

Funny considering the original is talked about as being pretty homoerotic.  

Spoiler

I was watching a review on an aviators youtube channel and they make a great point about the movie.

They said the opening aircraft carrier scene felt rushed. Then it just stops and we are with Mavrick and then he does the test flight. They said they should have done the test flight, as a prologue and once he crashed fade to black and start the movie with the opening words. That does sound like a great idea!

My view

Spoiler

I give the movie 6 out of 10.

You take away the amazing flight scenes and you are left with a mediocre film with not great acting. Toms acting was good, but the people he was teaching weren't great. in the cockpit it just sounded like they we're reciting lines by just yelling.

As my friend said it was refreshing not to have LGBQRLST BBQ shoved down our throats. Music was good.

But yes flight scenes were amazing. I'll probably rewatch it when it comes out in my theater with my sound system. Will probably sound better as the theater I was in had nice loud audio but the base just felt lacking and the center channel dialog was a bit hard to understand when the music was playing.

So Monday evening, my mate and I rewatched the original.  It holds up still - sure the tech is dated but the movie holds water and I still feel it's one of Cruise's best performances.

Then Tuesday we went to see Maverick.  Seeing as how Cruise has evolved as a person, I was expecting basically a big ######-waving Cruise-show.  Jesus was I wrong.

What a damned perfect sequel.  It absolutely captured the spirit of the original and I dare say even displayed more heart.  For the most part, none of it felt forced, none of it felt ridiculous.  All the nostalgia felt fully justified and earned, the laughs were predominantly subtle, the characters would have fit either film.  It just fed on from the first really well.  The only bit that felt a bit silly was the "heist" aspect towards the end, but it WAS silly, it couldn't be played straight.

I am not a fan of Cruise as a person AT ALL, but damn - I enjoyed him so much in this.  It even adds a little to the original (which I feel any good sequel should) - making some unlikeable characters more justified.