The Expanse

All their new scifi stuff that I remember has been very good IMO.   Since Defiance, though it...well.  Got weird.  Often.

Between 12 Monkeys Killjoys and Dark Matter it felt like nerdvana.

It's a stronger lineup than I remember them ever having.

Anyway, I definitely liked ep1-4.  Though why they're streaming stuff before the show even airs...I admit I don't understand that part.

My biggest gripe with the show so far is the lack of trust between Holden & co. I'm probably letting my book knowledge get in the way here, but these are people who've spent many years together working on the Cant. With a crew of 50, they would all know each other pretty well. So why are they at each other's throats and generally distrusting one another? I had expected that the scene where

Spoiler

Holden broadcasted the message about the Cant's destruction

would be incredibly iconic, instead of unity in their mourning they were bickering.

Am loving Avasarala though. The casting was spot on. I hope this gets a second season just so I can watch her and Bobby meet and be generally awesome.

15 hours ago, Lant said:

My biggest gripe with the show so far is the lack of trust between Holden & co. I'm probably letting my book knowledge get in the way here, but these are people who've spent many years together working on the Cant. With a crew of 50, they would all know each other pretty well. So why are they at each other's throats and generally distrusting one another? I had expected that the scene where

Hide contents

Holden broadcasted the message about the Cant's destruction

would be incredibly iconic, instead of unity in their mourning they were bickering.

Am loving Avasarala though. The casting was spot on. I hope this gets a second season just so I can watch her and Bobby meet and be generally awesome.

Well just because they work on a ship together, (and ignoring the books which provide more background), that says nothing as to how long any of them have necessary worked together. Was it a few month rotation, year, years? How close were they, different jobs mean they just might not see eachother much, much less hang out (someone directly harvesting the ice might not spend much time with the navigator or other command staff for example). Add that to the whole idea of the type of people working out there. Most have a past they want to get away from, as such they never really KNEW eachother, they just knew who eachother wanted to be now. Lastly, when they bring up eachothers pasts and one of them points out all the bad stuff about him was accurate.. That didn't help the trust any.

Put peoples lives on the line, when they really don't KNOW eachother, and have already gone through a big event.. seeing them turn just made sense. I found it really believable.. Plus he really did it out of nowhere, not like they had a chance to talk about it first, so it was just raw emotion. The way it's setup really reminds me of working on old sailing ships back when that was how the world worked. Be it a company ship, or a military ship, most everyone there was there for a reason other than just "I like the sea and want to be here" so when ###### hit the fan they would sometimes fracture. Especially those with opposite rationally for being there (Well educated with all the options in the world being there for "experience" or something, vs being there to escape something, vs simply lack of options to be anywhere else.)

I do hope they address Naomi and Amos's deal soon. Cause I can only take so many times of him following her unquestioningly without needing a LITTLE background on that trust.

Regardless, so far they have done an excellent job in pacing the episodes. Haven't found any dull points, or places where they have just decided to take this 10min to explain 500pages of context, or anything. Thats the big mistake shows based on books make, so much stuff in books is explained in detail via narration rather than dealing with the characters, but trying to make the characters explain that all in a show gets old fast. Sometimes it's often best to just not explain it at all and carry on. But if it keeps on pace there, and the story stays good, this will quickly go up there with my fav Scifi shows. 

20 hours ago, Ryoken said:

<snip>

It could also be argued that...

Spoiler

Because Holden didn't official take the job as XO, after the Cant was destroyed there was no command structure which lead to their being hostility and tussles between him and Naomi. Plus, Naomi knowing that Holden logged the distress call was a nice device to keep the tension up.

I liked it so far. Syfy doing sci-fi. About time.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎20 at 1:36 AM, BinaryData said:

Eh, I'm surprised Dark Matter got a second season. It was really slow and dull in the beginning. I felt like it was heading the same way Stargate Universe did, even though I loved that series. It just needs more action in it.

I'm looking forward to "The Magicians". That looks like a good twist between harry potter and Constantine.

Um, what does any of this have to do with "The Expanse"?

Loving the series so far and the second season confirmation was nice start for the year..

I do dislike a few things, mainly some of the crew interactions seem off. Holden doesn't really give out the reluctant but natural leader vibe that makes him get through some of the crises. Amos isn't quite right either (though this is just based on the book version). Avasarala not swearing constantly feels weird too after the books.

On 20/12/2015 at 8:46 AM, randomevent said:

All their new scifi stuff that I remember has been very good IMO.   Since Defiance, though it...well.  Got weird.  Often.

Between 12 Monkeys Killjoys and Dark Matter it felt like nerdvana.

It's a stronger lineup than I remember them ever having.

Anyway, I definitely liked ep1-4.  Though why they're streaming stuff before the show even airs...I admit I don't understand that part.

I think after the soapy stargate universe, sci-fi needed a reboot, and it seems to have worked.

27 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

I think after the soapy stargate universe, sci-fi needed a reboot, and it seems to have worked.

Call me crazy, but I actually liked SGU. It need more action/adventure in it. They killed off too many people as well.

I'm actually looking forward to new shows, just wish I could get a complete list with descriptions.

• 3 weeks later...

I started watching the first two episodes the other night just to get an idea of what it was like. Seems interesting, but I was only half paying attention so I'll need to restart now that I know what I'm getting in to.

On 1/2/2016 at 6:52 PM, Slarlac249 said:

SG:U effing sucked. I was reading a reddit post where people were talking about how awesome it was, it was junk. Like you said, it was almost a weird x-over of soap opera and sci-fi.

13 hours ago, compl3x said:

SG:U effing sucked. I was reading a reddit post where people were talking about how awesome it was, it was junk. Like you said, it was almost a weird x-over of soap opera and sci-fi.

it was just a battlestar copy, but some will still deny it.

like the expanse so far, has some real good sets, decent cgi and solid acting.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 3:36 AM, BinaryData said:

Eh, I'm surprised Dark Matter got a second season. It was really slow and dull in the beginning. I felt like it was heading the same way Stargate Universe did, even though I loved that series. It just needs more action in it.

I'm looking forward to "The Magicians". That looks like a good twist between harry potter and Constantine.

It seems most of these shows starts out very slow, and leaving you scratching your head wondering why.

I'm also scratching my head over Dark Matter. I don't think it deserved a second season. However, I'll still watch it, but I really hate it when shows abruptly get canceled.

I like Haven, and it started out very slow, but eventually picked up, got slow, and picked back up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good show. Love the whole dystopian/blade runner scifi influence. The budget for this must have been pretty good as the sets and CGI do not suck.

There have been some really awesome moments this season and the show is following a story unlike many other series that exist.

Waiting for season 2 might take too long... might have to pick up the books.

If they do this right then each season of the TV show can be one of the novels, there's 6 or 7 novels so far if I remember correctly. That gives them plenty to work with.

38 minutes ago, George P said:
38 minutes ago, George P said:

If they do this right then each season of the TV show can be one of the novels, there's 6 or 7 novels so far if I remember correctly. That gives them plenty to work with.

Well, season 1 just ended without completing Leviathan Wakes. So it looks like its gonna be 2 seasons per book if they keep with the 10 ep's per season format.

Anyway, the last three episodes were fantastic. Bring on season 2...

17 minutes ago, Zathras5 said:

Well, season 1 just ended without completing Leviathan Wakes. So it looks like its gonna be 2 seasons per book if they keep with the 10 ep's per season format.

Anyway, the last three episodes were fantastic. Bring on season 2...

I binged watched eps 5 through 10 and loved it.

• 11 months later...

Awesome season 2 premier..

..but I like the way the characters are depicted in the book better then on the show. Except for Miller, they do a good job with him, the rest are just kind of meh.

On 2/2/2017 at 3:36 PM, Zathras5 said:

Awesome season 2 premier..

..but I like the way the characters are depicted in the book better then on the show. Except for Miller, they do a good job with him, the rest are just kind of meh.

Gotta remember Books have far more ease giving you an inside view into characters thinking and reasons for actions, so movies/tv almost never live up to that part.

That said, the series is amazing, it's has Good Effects, Good Writing, Good Story, and Good Acting. Thats a rare thing in tv, and even rarer in Scifi.

Saw the first two episodes last night,  good start,  and the story is moving at a good pace which is important, I wonder how far they're going to get with this season?  I don't know about the books so I have no idea how far into book one they are at this point.