The Expanse

On 2/4/2017 at 0:17 PM, George P said:

Saw the first two episodes last night,  good start,  and the story is moving at a good pace which is important, I wonder how far they're going to get with this season?  I don't know about the books so I have no idea how far into book one they are at this point. 

Someone told me they were about halfway through the first, so depending, maybe 2-3 seasons per book? (Depending on the pacing in the book itself).

The important thing is as you said pacing. I don't want filler episodes designed to make an arc take X episodes.  Season 1 and now 2 sofar have been great at this. Not once in an episode have I said there thinking 'Come on, move on!' which is perfect. They brush on everything but don't take 20min out of an episode to explain some part of minutia. 

That's what I was thinking,  this season could finish off the first book.  It helps a show to be on the right network to.  When they're on some prime time channel then you can expect some level of filler to meet the required episode count the network ordered. 

• 1 month later...

The Expanse Renewed For Season 3 at Syfy

The-Expanse-Thomas-Jane-Dominique-Tipper

The Expanse has garnered high praise from all reaches of the solar system. The powerhouse Syfy adaptation is part of a strong lineup of well-performing series’ that move the network away from its over-the-top and cheesy past (Sharknado excluded). The second season continues to build a complex story that sets a (still) divided humanity against a force unlike anything its ever seen. A strong first season propelled the show to the top of the network, and the story and locations have gotten more expansive (pun intended) as the second season continues to unfold.

Syfy has put more resources into the second season as evidenced in the VFX that sometimes, and rightfully so, take center stage in each episode. There’s an integrated online presence that makes it easier for fans to engage with the characters and learn more about this world. The introduction of Bobbie Draper (Frankie Adams) has opened up new insight into the Martians and provides more depth to the conflict between the three factions — Earth, Mars, and The Belt.

Tensions between the three political powers may be rising to a boiling point, but fans can rest easy now that Syfy has confirmed The Expanse has been renewed for a third season. The upcoming third season will be another 13 episodes and is expected to return in 2018. Chris McCumber, NBC Universal’s Cable Entertainment President had this to say of the series:

“The Expanse is a gorgeous, thrilling, emotional series that has quite simply raised the bar for science fiction on television. We, along with the fans, are looking forward to continuing the journey with our partners at Alcon Television Group and the series’ brilliant cast and crew.”

The-Expanse-Chad-Coleman-Cara-Gee.jpg?au

The Expanse is a sprawling series that seems to do everything well, but nothing more so than the complicated relationship of its characters. While live tweeting episode 8 of season 2, “Pyre,” showrunner Nareen Shankar commented on the complexities and inner turmoil characters face noting that, “For the most part, everyone in The Expanse is doing what they believe is right.” If the pattern holds, each season ends with the title of the book it is based on. Season one ended on Leviathan Wakes (the first in the series), and the last episodes of season two is titled Caliban’s War (the second book). If things play out as closely in the series (as the have so far), then season three is sure to be even bigger and more complicated than anything we’ve seen so far.

Science steeped in reality, politics, and human nature are some of the things that the series has been recognized for doing well. With high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic, it looks like NBC Universal and Syfy are giving the people what they want.

http://screenrant.com/expanse-renewed-season-3-syfy/

• Like 3

I'd have been shocked if this show didn't get a season 3,  heck it's done really well and near perfect I'd say.  The pace is spot on, though I admit I haven't read the books so I can't say how close it is for sure, I really like it.     It sounds like season 3 will start into book 3?    If a show is doing things right and sticking close to the books sources then doing one season for each book is the best way.  It's when shows try to rush and cram in 2 books or so into one season that things go south.

1 hour ago, George P said:

I'd have been shocked if this show didn't get a season 3,  heck it's done really well and near perfect I'd say.  The pace is spot on, though I admit I haven't read the books so I can't say how close it is for sure, I really like it.     It sounds like season 3 will start into book 3?    If a show is doing things right and sticking close to the books sources then doing one season for each book is the best way.  It's when shows try to rush and cram in 2 books or so into one season that things go south.

The first season was very close to the first book if not one of the best 1:1 adaptions I have seen.

The 2nd season on the the hand whilst following the main story from Calibans War (2nd Book) is also starting up a lot of story elements from book 3/5.

Chrisjen Avasarala was only introduced in the second book so the writers book/show actually created a lot of original content to flesh out her character for the first season.

There are more changes in season 2 that diverge a little from the book but the main story line is the same. 

The last episode felt rushed however .. the whole Fred Johnson argument with Holden wasn't executed well and skipped a book.

On the other hand the book also has some weak moments that feel a little too RPG like and wouldn't translate well.

Book and show complement each other pretty well.

Would defo recommend the books.

I'm busy working my way through another book series to start this one so I don't know if I'll get to it at all.   Season 2 does feel rushed compared to season 1, that's for sure, but I think they feel the need to do so and not complicate it too much on the political side of things, going right into the proto molecule stuff more quickly.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Got around to watching the first episode finally, good stuff, need more good scifi shows made like this series.  I hope they go deeper into the books as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw episode 2, good stuff as always. Holden showing his tactical skills.  Bit of a cliffhanger ending, can't wait to see how episode 3 plays out.

Saw episode 3, this is the part of this arc I was waiting for since season 2 ended.   I hope the show keeps going past this Earth vs Mars vs Belt part and into the next one.

• 3 weeks later...

Last season of The Expanse on SyFy.

Hopefully it will find a new home on Netflix or Hulu (or another network channel). :)

'The Expanse’ To End On Syfy With Season 3, Will Be Shopped Elsewhere By Alcon

The current third season of The Expansewill be the space drama’s last one on Syfy. The cable network has decided not to renew the show for a fourth season, with the last episode slated to air in early July. Alcon Television Group, which fully finances and produces the critically praised series, plans to shop it to other buyers.

“The Expanse transported us across the solar system for three brilliant seasons of television,” said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “Everyone at Syfy is a massive fan of the series, and this was an incredibly difficult decision. We want to sincerely thank The Expanse’s amazing cast, crew and all the dedicated creatives who helped bring James S.A. Corey’s story to life. And to the series’ loyal fans, we thank you most of all.”

/snip

Full article at Deadline

Yeah this is crappy news, but I think they should be able to wrap up the story of this arc with the end of this season.  A possible season 4 would start into the next book i think, so it would be a good chance for Netflix or Hulu to pick it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon in talks for The Expanse season 4, but writers tell fans to ‘keep up the fight’

Less than two weeks ago, Syfy announced that it had canceled The Expanse, a spacefaring drama that premiered in 2015, rather than pick it up for a fourth season. Yesterday The Hollywood Reporter said that Amazon is in talks to bring the show over to its streaming service. But the deal’s not done, and the show’s writers are encouraging fans to keep the pressure on.

Our colleagues at The Verge once called The Expanse the best space opera since Battlestar Galactica, and we’re inclined to agree. Based on a series of novels by James S.A. Corey, a pseudonym for authors Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham, the space opera tells the story of a far future where humanity is strung out across the solar system and on the brink of civil war. The first season was well received by fans and critics alike, but viewership flagged in its second and third seasons. That’s why Syfy made the decision to cut it loose.

//snip

Full article at Polygon

Hopefully they can work out something. Think these last couple of episodes have been some of the better ones in the series...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Full article at Polygon

Hopefully they can work out something. Think these last couple of episodes have been some of the better ones in the series...

They're wrapping up the arc and getting ready to tease what the next story for a possible season 4 is.   Episodes are good when plot threads get tied off and you're not just doing half filler to fill in the time slot.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Zathras5 said:

Great finale to season three... I don't understand how Syfy could let this show go.

They just didn't want to pay for whatever their part of season 4 would've been.   Syfy probably doesn't sell enough ad time to fit the bill for expensive shows.   Which is why most of it's other stuff is low quality, made on the cheap, IMO.

This show should look even better in season 4 with loads of Amazon money.

Yep, was a great finale. Good thing Amazon picked it up...due to that bit of a cliffhanger at the final 10 seconds.

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Yep, was a great finale. Good thing Amazon picked it up...due to that bit of a cliffhanger at the final 10 seconds.

I just got an ereader and I haven't started the series yet (kinda left some trilogies hanging when I stopped reading much back in the day) but this show is fantastic.  Not sure what my schedule is anymore but definitely grabbing the books at some point.