Cable modem - Too much Signal to Noise Ratio?

Hello everyone,

Just was looking at the specs of my cable modem when i discovered that it has 35 Signal to Noise Ratio, is this normal, too much, too less, etc. If there is a problem, how do I fix?

Thanks,

lieb39

post-13-1070624375.jpg

Don't know if you're using the exact same Surfboard model, but mine (not *too* long after actually having been checked/optimized by cable company following issues with a cable physically decaying outdoors) shows:

34-35 depending upon when I refresh readout.

Sounds like you're in normal / optimized range as far as I can tell (though my other numbers can vary a tad).

Hello everyone,

Just was looking at the specs of my cable modem when i discovered that it has 35 Signal to Noise Ratio, is this normal, too much, too less, etc. If there is a problem, how do I fix?

Thanks,

lieb39

Call cable company, ask for line test. if they see a problem they will come out and fix it for you.

the 35 and -4 are both good.

I think anything over 33 is good, and for power if it falls into -15 to 15 then it's good.

You have to scroll down for upload power, I think that has to be under 50 and it's good.

Ok, maybe someone can help me. My connection is uncapped, because that is what I pay for, its on the plan. But yet, the fastest I've ever downloaded has been 200k, and that was from the local ISP server. Something wrong?

-lieb39

who is your ISP?

The 200k mark makes it seem like it is 1.5Mbps service, Also check out dslreports.com under "our tools" have some good tweak tests and speed tests there, go through them to see what it's like.

It doesn't give a speed of the "available network", so you could possibly be getting the most out of it.

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

See the pic? Download that top file zip, open it up, change the values to that picture, save it and restart your pc.

Download something now and see if there is a difference. If you do notice a somewhat big change, you could try upping the 32,767 number, just double it.

Downstream SNR shows the strength of the signal to your cable modem as compared to the noise on the line (signal/noise). If the noise level increases the SNR value decreases. So, then high levels are good for the SNR. This number should be at 30 or more. If the SNR goes below 30 than you will probably start to experience some? problems, such as intermittent connection, packet loss, etc.
Downstream Power[/b]> shows the power of the signal your cable modem is getting. The level of the downstream power should be-15 to 15 dB> according to most manufacturers' specs... However, it isbest> for that level to be in the-8 to 8> range.
Upstream SNR[/b]> shows how much signal the head end is getting from your cable modem, compared to the noise level. "Head End" refers to the point of reference that is the central point of the local network of your service provider. Anythingabove 29> is good. Just like the download SNR if the noise level increases the upstream SNR decreases.
Upstream Power[/b]> shows the level of the signal from the cable modem to the provider. This number should belower than 55dB>. The lower the number, the better your connection.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1197

It doesn't give a speed of the "available network", so you could possibly be getting the most out of it.

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

See the pic? Download that top file zip, open it up, change the values to that picture, save it and restart your pc.

Download something now and see if there is a difference. If you do notice a somewhat big change, you could try upping the 32,767 number, just double it.

Downloaded that program, ran it, put all the settings in that were in the picture, restarted my pc and i got a very fast connection of 14070 CPS. I took your advice and doubled the TCP Recive window to 65534, restarted and than the test, got a very dissapointing speed of 2980 CPS. I put the setting back to 32767 like before, restarted and I got a dissapointing 6010. How do I get it fast like the first time I changed the setting? What about all those other settings in the window?

BTW: I used http://www.cyberwizards.com.au/modemspeed/ to test my connection [second test, the Large Graphic test]

Thanks,

lieb39

Check how many devices you have hooked up to your line. The cable guy, when he installed my digial IO, was suprised because they never installed a dedicated line for my cable modem and it was killing the thing. He gave us another line and put 2 cable boxes on it just to lighten the load on the other line.

Remember to set that MTU to 1500 incase you didn't do that. Could be just less traffic at the time of the first test, I would leave it at the 32k number as that seems to be your best result. Your speed is more dependent on the network speed instead of an garaunteed speed so I suppose it could vary more than a normal dsl/cable line that lists the download speed.

I got 52460 cps on that test (not sure what cps is, never heard it explained like that?) So I am guessing the speed of your connection isn't that fast, maybe it's a 1.5 speed or close to a t1 setup.

Does your provider have a speed test in which you download direct from them?

Oh, only 1 device on that cable output. I have two televisions that use the cable, and thats it. They put a crapload of stuff on the cable, because our driveway was long haha. Anyways.. three for the WHOLE line for my house. Will it actually make a difference if the tv's are on or off? haha

-lieb39

Remember to set that MTU to 1500 incase you didn't do that. Could be just less traffic at the time of the first test, I would leave it at the 32k number as that seems to be your best result. Your speed is more dependent on the network speed instead of an garaunteed speed so I suppose it could vary more than a normal dsl/cable line that lists the download speed.

I got 52460 cps on that test (not sure what cps is, never heard it explained like that?) So I am guessing the speed of your connection isn't that fast, maybe it's a 1.5 speed or close to a t1 setup.

Does your provider have a speed test in which you download direct from them?

Holy crap.. how did you get 52460 cps? That kills me haha. What are your settings, you use Dr. TCP, any other applications, internet connection, and finally, you on a network, if so, how is it shared?

-lieb39

Mine is a 3Mbps cable connection, I suppose that is good, tho there are better like OOL which is 10Mbps! :)

I think yours is actually close to what it should be, on some servers it will probably be better but I think that is where it should be, just keep that top number at 32k and the MTU at 1500 and you'll be set.

Well, its a bit faster now. I restarted again and ran the test, this time I got 9710, than ran it again and i got 8010.. Seems that it changes a lot. I'm going to download a file off my local ISP server with IE normal download manger, see how fast that goes. I will post the results.

-lieb39