Speed up my connection?

I'm trying to figure out how to speed up my connection. I'm allegedly getting great speeds, but in my downloads it isn't showing so I'm sure the bottleneck is somewhere on my end. Torrents peak at around 2.5mbps regardless of how many peers. Steam peaks at 2.0mbps. I had the same download speeds on a 20mbps connection while saving 50$/month.

3445354369.png

So when you say 2.5mbps do you mean Mbits or MBytes?

Even if you meant MBytes with that sort of connection something is wrong for sure, and if it really is Mbits then something is horrifically wrong.

Your not wireless are you, and that speed test was wired?

So when you say 2.5mbps do you mean Mbits or MBytes?

Even if you meant MBytes with that sort of connection something is wrong for sure, and if it really is Mbits then something is horrifically wrong.

Your not wireless are you, and that speed test was wired?

MB/s. I'm hardwired. While there are other things on the network, typically only one thing at a time is running.

COX.

I guess I should give a few more details. Cat6 cable to my pc, Netgear CG4500BD dual-band Modem. I don't know of any other hardware on my end that could be a bottleneck.

So your only getting 2.5Mbps hardwired while your speedtest shows 170+ Mbps or roughly 21MBps??

Yeah you got something wrong for sure.. What does a direct download do vs torrents? For example from one of my vps in LV to test box in the NL I get this

--2014-04-17 12:23:29-- http://mirror.nl.leaseweb.net/speedtest/100mb.bin

Resolving mirror.nl.leaseweb.net (mirror.nl.leaseweb.net)... 94.75.223.121

Connecting to mirror.nl.leaseweb.net (mirror.nl.leaseweb.net)|94.75.223.121|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 100000000 (95M) [application/octet-stream]

Saving to: '100mb.bin'

100%[======================================>] 100,000,000 9.96MB/s in 12s

2014-04-17 12:23:42 (8.02 MB/s) - '100mb.bin' saved [100000000/100000000]

I am thinking of where else I can test from with a better connection than your 170+Mbps, I can do it locally on my server in NL, but that speed is misleading for across the public net, etc.. So that averaged 8MBps

100%[======================================>] 100,000,000 46.6M/s in 2.0s

2014-04-17 16:26:58 (46.6 MB/s) - `100mb.bin' saved [100000000/100000000]

But what do you get for that above test file http://mirror.nl.leaseweb.net/speedtest/100mb.bin

Here you go - here is a LARGE test file from here

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

--2014-04-17 16:34:24-- http://ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com/512MB.zip

Resolving ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com (ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com)... 80.249.99.148

Connecting to ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com (ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com)|80.249.99.148|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 536870912 (512M) [application/zip]

Saving to: `512MB.zip'

100%[======================================>] 536,870,912 21.3M/s in 27s

2014-04-17 16:34:51 (19.2 MB/s) - `512MB.zip' saved [536870912/536870912]

I am seeing very fast download from there.. Large file 500MB. http://ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com/512MB.zip

So peaked up at 25+ with average of 19.2 and ended there at 21.3MBps

Internet Provider COX to Begin Selectively Throttling Internet Traffic

Posted 01/29/2009

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/internet_provider_cox_begin_selectively_throttling_internet_traffic

Cox breaks down internet traffic into two categories -- time sensitive and non-time sensitive -- and when the traffic becomes congested, non time sensitive traffic will take a back seat to higher priority packets.

Not surprisingly, save for the software updates, lower priority traffic will include:

• File Access (Bulk transfers of data such as FTP
  • Network Storage (Bulk transfers of data for storage
  • P2P (Peer to peer protocols)
  • Software Updates (Managed updates such as operating system updates) 
  • Usenet (Newsgroup related)

I just downloaded Splinter Cell Conviction through Steam. I peaked at 19.5MB/s. I guess I'm confused... Shouldn't the package I have begetting me at least over 100MB/s? They really confuse things with internet speeds by making mbps different than Mbps. Stupid. Way to confuse normal people!

^ Internet speeds are a 2-way street.

If your source is not sending at X speed, you will not receive at X speed.

I have also read that Cable internet speeds depend on your fellow Cable users.

The more people on the Net cable, the slower it will go.

I just downloaded Splinter Cell Conviction through Steam. I peaked at 19.5MB/s. I guess I'm confused... Shouldn't the package I have begetting me at least over 100MB/s? They really confuse things with internet speeds by making mbps different than Mbps. Stupid. Way to confuse normal people!

No as someone stated i think your mixing up your bits with your bytes, 170 mbps (MegaBitsPerSecond) needs to be divided by eight to get mBps (MegaBytesPerSecond). Capital B as opposed to small b

170 / 8 = 21.25 so your pretty much ballpark. Trouble is ISP want to advertise as being the highest number possible so mb/s but most browsers show in mB/s

Here`s a good website for conversion if you need it.

http://www.numion.com/calculators/units.html

Well your torrents should scream as well with that kind of pipe. Unless as mentioned they throttle p2p traffic?

For reference grab something you know should scream, like a linux distro..

So for example http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

post-14624-0-47422600-1397758669.png

What speeds do you get with this above torrent for example.

It was really so fast, its hard to ramp up to top speed since its done before you max out. Torrents take a bit of time to ramp up to full speed, so unless your grabbing something very large you prob wont see it max out your pipe.

So for example that above was at 6.6MBps (Bytes) roughly 52.8Mbits per second at the end of the download, but average was only 5.6 = less than 3 Minutes to grab. Most of that time is ramp up.. Now if grab something LARGE.. That takes longer you should see that speed get to closer to your max pipe.

Let me look for something bigger as example.

So how long does it take you to download that above torrent for example?

edit: Ok I found something a bit larger so had more time to ramp up, peaked out at 10MBps

post-14624-0-98259900-1397761080.png

There are a lot of variables in torrents that can effect speed. What are the members of the swarm sending at, who your connected to in the swarm, etc. Takes time to get your connections going - what are you uploading at if other peers like you.. If your not uploading very fast, you want get a lot from each peer and you have to jump around a lot this lowers your overall speed. Then again if you use too much of your upload pipe you can limit your download and while downloading something you wouldn't be able to do anything else, etc.

That box has a 10Ge connection, and see it maxed out at 10MBps..

yeah that's not really going to speed up torrents  peers / seeds are not via fqdn that have to be looked up to connect to.

yeah that's not really going to speed up torrents  peers / seeds are not via fqdn that have to be looked up to connect to.

haha sorry! Yeah I was just blurting it out not speaking to this person in particular. I just was saying anyone  :laugh: