David Moyes sacked as Manchester United manager (Louis van Gaal appointed)

The end is nigh, media has been awash with reports that he will be fired, some reports say it is to be announced today

David Moyes will be sacked as Manchester United manager on Tuesday after the club?s owners, the Glazer family, decided to end the Scot?s disastrous tenure at Old Trafford.

Ryan Giggs, with Nicky Butt as his assistant, will take charge until the end of the season. Giggs has served as player-coach under Moyes while Butt has worked with the reserves.

The Glazers have handed executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward the mandate to dismiss Moyes less than 12 months into his ?4million-a-year, six-year contract after United?s defeat at Everton on Sunday confirmed their failure to qualify for next season?s Champions League.

Moyes is likely to receive compensation of one year?s salary rather than the remaining five years of his deal, with key performance targets having been missed in United?s worst ?campaign for almost a quarter of a century. He will be forced to endure the humiliation of reporting for training before the formalities of his departure are completed.

Source: Telegraph

Nail on head moment there which the BBC picked up on too. I hope the next appointment is carefully considered, a calm, level headed figure is needed. This guy comes to mind

Yeah I've just come into work and seen this. He hasn't performed at all this season, and in this day and age they need results. 

Klopp is favourite to replace him, and he'd be a damn good manager.

Yeah I've just come into work and seen this. He hasn't performed at all this season, and in this day and age they need results. 

Klopp is favourite to replace him, and he'd be a damn good manager.

I don't see J?rgen Klopp leaving Borussia Dortmund anytime soon.

^^ this!

It's a shame in my opinion.  As much as I want to see United fail (Arsenal fan here), I would liked to have known what he would have done next season when he had more of a chance to build his own team.

Anyway, seems United are joining the managerial merry-go-round of most other clubs in the EPL and demonstrating no patience whatsoever.

Me either, just surprised to hear that. Van Gaal is also in the mix.

Breaking News: SkySports reported Ryan Giggs will be named as interim manager of Manchester United.

So he's now player, coach and interim manager? 

^^ this!

It's a shame in my opinion. As much as I want to see United fail (Arsenal fan here), I would liked to have known what he would have done next season when he had more of a chance to build his own team.

Anyway, seems United are joining the managerial merry-go-round of most other clubs in the EPL and demonstrating no patience whatsoever.

Football is a results driven business. Are you honestly telling me that if the tables were turned with Arsenal having won the PL (however hard that is to imagine), Arsene retired and the new manager was breaking records for all the wrong reasons, would you want to keep him in?

Football is a results driven business. Are you honestly telling me that if the tables were turned with Arsenal having won the PL (however hard that is to imagine), Arsene retired and the new manager was breaking records for all the wrong reasons, would you want to keep him in?

Absolutely - because it takes time for a manager to develop a style in the team that they are joining, to get the right type of staff etc.etc.

Fergie was an exceptional manager, one of maybe 5 in the world (others would in my opinion be Mourinho, Wenger, Guardiola and Loew), but wasn't that when he joined United - he became that at United.   You aren't going to get an exceptional manager you have to create one - the same will be required at Arsenal and I for one hope that we have the patience for it.

• Like 1

Absolutely - because it takes time for a manager to develop a style in the team that they are joining, to get the right type of staff etc.etc.

Fergie was an exceptional manager, one of maybe 5 in the world (others would in my opinion be Mourinho, Wenger, Guardiola and Loew), but wasn't that when he joined United - he became that at United.   You aren't going to get an exceptional manager you have to create one - the same will be required at Arsenal and I for one hope that we have the patience for it.

No one expected him to hit the ground running but with the exception of making it into the quarter finals with Bayern, he's taken a title winning team and made them look average. They didn't lose any exceptional players during the summer and even added a few decent players to the squad but they have nothing to show for that. 

For me, with the squad that he had he should have at least made it further in the domestic competitions and at least a top four finish. 

Whether the blame lies solely on him or if the players are to blame too is another story.

No one expected him to hit the ground running but with the exception of making it into the quarter finals with Bayern, he's taken a title winning team and made them look average. They didn't lose any exceptional players during the summer and even added a few decent players to the squad but they have nothing to show for that. 

For me, with the squad that he had he should have at least made it further in the domestic competitions and at least a top four finish. 

Whether the blame lies solely on him or if the players are to blame too is another story.

No - he's taken a decidedly average team which the previous incumbent manager made good enough (through his own ability rather than the team's) and shown them for what they are.

They only got to the quarters of the Champions League because of an easy draw in the last 16 with Olympiakos.

No - he's taken a decidedly average team which the previous incumbent manager made good enough (through his own ability rather than the team's) and shown them for what they are.

They only got to the quarters of the Champions League because of an easy draw in the last 16 with Olympiakos.

Interesting point, but to do that almost every year? I'm not convinced, but we're allowed opinions :P

I can easily see why Moyes was hand picked by Fergie before he retired. No, he didn't have the medals or trophies, but he had very good results at Everton given the budget, meaning he managed his players well. However with United, he lost the dressing room early. The players didn't give him enough time, as he'd need at least a year.

Feel sorry for the guy, he didn't exactly do well at Everton except the odd win against Liverpool and mostly European Cup qualification. I don't think he won any trophies while there for 11 years, unless I'm mistaken? But I have to wonder if he's employable after this? Maybe a stint in the Championship and a promotion will put things right for him.

Edit: Yep Daedroth, he was able to do well in the EPL with his budget, but as if that's the sort of thing Man Utd were looking for? :P

article-2321254-19A5975D000005DC-881_634

Perfect example that it's not as easy as the fans are making out. A lot of the Utd players are has beens and it has been said that fergy got out at the right time as he knew this was coming.. Moyes should have been given a few seasons to find his feet... It seems these days you have a couple of poor months and you're gone. At the end of the day the players are on the pitch and they haven't automatically turned rubbish because fergy left, even if poor management has lowered moral, they are still going out in front of thousands of people and will be doing what they can to perform well.

The difference between Moyes and Fergie is that Fergie got Man Utd from 21st to 7th or something in his first season, that can't be viewed as a failure even if it did take him a few years to win a trophy (while Liverpool were already winning everything at the time).

Kinda feel bad for him. He didn't have strength in the squad. Also because of this, i don't think he knew his starting 11.

I don't think he'll have trouble finding a job. He is still rated as a good manager. I think most would have struggled with the job and those players.

You had a defence that would change week in week out,

Midfield doesn't have a Paul Scholes

Attacking was ok, but didn't have the midfield to supply the attack. Plus Van Persie being injured (surprisingly).

His main problem i think for getting the sack is that you never saw glimpses of what he was trying to do. Their wins never seemed convincing.

I think that is the main reason Brendan Rogers kept his Liverpool job last season because while they didn't get the points, you could see in some games what he is trying to do and it seemed to be working.

Look now, probably going to win the PL.

It's difficult to tell whether Fergie's presence 'enhanced' the team or whether Moyes really couldn't motivate them enough.

There's no question the team should be higher in the league but I really think Moyes should have been given an extra year to try and make things work. Club owners are too quick to get rid of managers these days when results don't go the right way which also has a negative effect on the team.