San Marino

GROUP EIGHT

Sweden

Croatia

Bulgaria

Iceland

Hungary

Malta

That's the European draw with Group 6 being the most exciting obviously :D with 3 home nation teams participating. Group 2 looks like the group of hell to me :pinch:

im not a big soccer fan but im not here to troll, im just curious about the world cup concept which may be used in other sports. from what i understand, these teams play the others in their group and the top few in each group advance? and when do these qualifying games normally in relation to the actual world cup? if someone could clear it up for me, i'd appreciate it.

This is just the Europe part, then there' Oceana, South America, Africa etc.

But from these 51 teams, only 13 from Europe will qualify for the world cup. These are just qualifiers to get into the world cup. I think the 8 group winners qualify, as well as the top 2 runners up. Plus then 3 more from playoffs. Germany qualify automatically because they're hosting it.

The actual world cup consists of 8 groups of 4, of which 16 teams qualify into a knockout stage like the picture attached (from World Cup 2002), this is the beginning of the knockout stage:

post-91-1070655096.gif

that makes sense. its good that so many teams have an opportunity to succeed. the commissioner of baseball has talked of starting a world cup, if it was done like this i think it would be a success.

thanks for explaining it :)

i think top 2 teams advance to round of 32 at the WorldCup. (because, Europe gets so many tickets compared to other continents) ..

these qualifying rounds happen about 2 years before the actual world cup (i'm not so sure)

lemme see.

last worldcup

Europe: france,portugal,germany,italy,ireland,england,spain,poland,turkey,sweden, slovakia, croatia, denmark,slovenia, russia, belgium (16 teams)

Asia&including Austrailia.. (there was big fuss about this):korea,japan(hosts),china,saudi, (usually 3 teams)

Africa: cameron, senegal, nigeria,south africa, tunisia (5 teams)

N.America: mexico,america, costa rica, (3 teams)

S.America: brazil,urugay,argentina,paraguay,ecadour, (5 teams)

Englands group looks like it will be a walk over for them :D should be good :p

Italy got Norway and Scotland :s hopefully they won't be condemned against this year, like they were last time - 6 disallowed goals. OUTRAGE! :crazy:

Edit: well, not this year, 2006

Yeahhh!!!Woooot!

A World Cup in Germany!! Great! Cant wait for it...I'll try to get some tickets for the 1/2 final...it's near my town here....

And of course Germany is going to be the Winner....Ronaldo won't shoot us out this time... :pinch: