[C++] Printing ASCII Tables

Question

Hello everyone, I currently have an assignment where I'm supposed to enter a character, and then a number, and in accordance it prints out the corresponding value.

For example:

Enter a character: 

input: a

Enter a number:

input: 5

output: abcdef

The above is the correct output. My program however, prints out what a5 would be on the table, so a little help! I'll include the sample program the professor provided as well. Thank you!

//Lab 19

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
using namespace std;

int main(){
	int i1, answer;
	char c;

cout << "Enter a character: ";
	cin >> c;

for (int i = 1; i < 999; i++){
		cout << "\nEnter a number: ";
		cin >> i1;
		if (i1 <= 260){
			break;
		}
	}
	for (int i = 1; i <= i1; i++){
		c = i1;
		cout << c;
	}
	cout << endl;
	cout << "Run it back?";
	cin >> answer;
	if (answer == 'y' || answer == 'Y'){
		main();
	}
	else if (answer == 'n' || answer == 'N'){
		system("PAUSE");
		return 0;
	}
}

Example program: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7qfirh0imou5ub/C%2B%2BLab19%20%28ASCII_Characters%29.exe

2 answers to this question

Your question doesn't really sound specific to me, more a 'write-my-homework-for-me' question.

Can you give a bit more detail in what you have tried, where you think you're going wrong and what you actually want help with?

It's not clear what it is that you don't understand. I'll try to explain why your program doesn't work. 

for (int i = 1; i <= i1; i++) {
  c = i1;
  cout << c;
}
Here you are assigning to c only for the purpose of interpreting an integer as a character. The code is equivalent to: 

for (int i = 1; i <= i1; i++) {
  cout << (char)i1;
}
Therefore, this code prints the number [i1], interpreted as a character, [i1] times.

In your assignment, I see that the correct output is made of different characters. You are printing the same character several times. That's one mistake. It looks like you had the right idea with a for loop, but you're not using your iteration variable...

Secondly, this: 

c = i1;
cout << c;
simply reinterprets i1 as a character. If i1 is 1, then the character will be ASCII value 1, which is not a letter. You need to print the correct value, which should be based on the character that the user entered (hint: you're not even using the character value you got from the user).

Let's start with an easier problem and work our way towards something as complex as that assignment.

"Let the user input a character. Then, print that character."

I'll write that one out for you:

char c;
cin >> c;
cout << "Here is what you entered: ";
cout << c;
Sample run:

Enter a character: f

Here is what you entered: f

Ok now let's move on to a slightly more difficult problem.

"Let the user input a character. Then, print that character, and the next character in the ASCII table after it."

Same code, but now you have a blank to fill.

char c;
cin >> c;
cout << "Here is what you entered and the next ASCII character: ";
cout << c;
cout << // fill in the blank
Sample run: 

Enter a character: f

Here is what you entered and the next ASCII character: fg

Ok then you can move on to something that looks more like your assignment:

"Let the user input a character. Then, print that character, and the next 10 characters in the ASCII table after it." 

char input;
cin >> input;
cout << "Here is what you entered and the next 10 ASCII characters: ";
for (...) {
  cout << ...
}

Sample run:

Enter a character: a

Here is what you entered and the next 10 ASCII characters: abcdefghijk

If you can solve that, then it's just a matter of replacing 50 with another input from the user and you have pretty much done your assignment.

As a side note, do not call your main() function. Not only is this illegal C++, but you are creating a potentially infinite recursion (as many times as the user wants) which could terminate your program with a stack overflow. Just use a real loop.