Microsoft's Xbox One Sold Just 1.2M Units To Retailers In Q3, Dips Below Xbox 360 Rate

Even with that definition it makes no sense with the way you used it for the previous post.

It makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

It makes perfect sense.

"Don't get your hopes up* (or up too high) until they write off the Xbox division."

That makes sense, yours doesn't. As for the 'write down' that doesn't make sense because it already has dropped in value.

Microsoft attempts to hide anemic Xbox One sales amid lackluster quarterly earnings

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/181337-microsoft-attempts-to-hide-anemic-xbox-one-sales-amid-lackluster-quarterly-earnings

Quarterly reports are for the shareholders of the company who care about the companies performance. Shareholders care about how many consoles were sold from MS into retail channels, rather than how much they sold through into consumers. 

It's amusing as I'm pretty sure Sony always used shipped figures for the previous generation. This ###### for tat stuff is tedious

Quarterly reports are for the shareholders of the company who care about the companies performance. Shareholders care about how many consoles were sold from MS into retail channels, rather than how much they sold through into consumers. 

That is ridiculous, if you were a shareholder of Microsoft stocks wouldn't you want to know how much is sold-in and how much is sold-through?

Sold-in (To retailers) would indicate how much the retailers want in stock and expect to sell while sold-through is real sales data which indicates how much have actually been sold to customers.. Microsoft can track both and most likely do but showing a larger number is always better than showing a lower number to your shareholders. With that being said I'm sure most quarterly reports would show sold-in numbers rather than sold-through but Microsoft announced 5 million sold-in after Sony announced 7 million sold-through separately from this quarterly report. Also Microsoft shareholders would be more concerned with other divisions of the Microsoft brand and like Stephen Elop (Head of Microsoft's Devices and Studios business, which means his in charge of Xbox, Microsoft Surface, and Microsoft's game development efforts) probably want to sell off the Xbox division.

People prefer parity in these announcements, if one company shares sold-through data you'd want the competitor to do the same to get a clear indication of what the sales differences are.

I believe it refers to sold-through sales, because they only released sold-in (to retailers) rather than sold-through (to customers) like Sony.

No one has touched on this point, but is MS reporting numbers differently then they usually do? I could have sworn someone had said before that MS always reports their numbers this way, regardless of good or bad numbers.

So do you know if the way MS mentioned the numbers is the same way they have done it in the past?

If so, then this is a non story and the author of the article is just not aware of how MS does this.

People prefer parity in these announcements, if one company shares sold-through data you'd want the competitor to do the same to get a clear indication of what the sales differences are.

Again, context.

Has Sony and MS always reported sales numbers the same way, or has either one changed how they do it?

That is ridiculous, if you were a shareholder of Microsoft stocks wouldn't you want to know how much is sold-in and how much is sold-through?

Sold-in (To retailers) would indicate how much the retailers want in stock and expect to sell while sold-through is real sales data which indicates how much have actually been sold to customers.. Microsoft can track both and most likely do but showing a larger number is always better than showing a lower number to your shareholders. With that being said I'm sure most quarterly reports would show sold-in numbers rather than sold-through but Microsoft announced 5 million sold-in after Sony announced 7 million sold-through separately from this quarterly report. Also Microsoft shareholders would be more concerned with other divisions of the Microsoft brand and like Stephen Elop (Head of Microsoft's Devices and Studios business, which means his in charge of Xbox, Microsoft Surface, and Microsoft's game development efforts) probably want to sell off the Xbox division.

Accounting rules are complex and ridiculous at times. I know a certain process at my work as outdated and mostly useless but we have to follow it because the company can't record revenue otherwise.

No one has touched on this point, but is MS reporting numbers differently then they usually do? I could have sworn someone had said before that MS always reports their numbers this way, regardless of good or bad numbers.

So do you know if the way MS mentioned the numbers is the same way they have done it in the past?

If so, then this is a non story and the author of the article is just not aware of how MS does this.

Again, context.

Has Sony and MS always reported sales numbers the same way, or has either one changed how they do it?

Sony mostly/always reported "Playstation family" in PS3 generation because they were handily beaten. I don't know how they reported their quarterly earnings.

Microsoft mostly/always reported Xbox 360 consumer sales (sold-through) in that generation because they were beating PS3. The recent 5M announcement is the first time they have reported sold-in/shipped numbers in my memory.

I never bothered with their quarterly earnings to know what number was reported there during 360 launch. 

• Like 2