P Diddy to design Dallas Maverick Jerseys

Diddy will design the Dallas Mavericks' alternate uniforms for the 2004-2005 season, representatives of the NBA team said Friday (December 5).

"The future is now," Mavericks merchandising director Tim Henning said from Dallas. "We think he's the perfect designer for this kind of project. He knows design, he knows what's happening in terms of what we think is street-credible. Nobody out there is as equipped as Puff ? and Sean John, specifically ? to take on a project like this. [People] are wearing uniforms as fashion, and who's the guy on top in urban fashion? P. Diddy."

The b-ballers will wear their alternate unis at least 12 times during the season but could sport them on the court more times than that.

Henning said the relationship between Diddy and the team began two years ago, when the hip-hop mogul befriended headline-making Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, but it was two weeks ago that the uniform idea really gathered steam.

"The relationship could develop into something more significant," Henning said. The two sides are talking about Diddy designing ancillary pieces to accompany the jerseys, such as shooting shirts and shorts. But first the jerseys are expected to be unveiled at the annual Magic fashion convention in February. The jerseys should be available in stores with other NBA attire next fall. Mavericks players will begin wearing their new gear in the 2004 preseason.

Henning clarified that the uniforms will not bear the Sean John clothing line logo because of Reebok's licensing deal with the NBA, but he said there'll be some element on the garments that identifies them as Sean John.

Neither Diddy nor his spokesperson at Bad Boy could be reached at press time, and Diddy's rep at Sean John said he hadn't heard about the Mavericks deal.

On the music side, Diddy's next Bad Boy release will be Carl Thomas' Let's Talk About It, due February 10View: Report by MTV

What next.:rofl:ofl:

pfft, as if the NBAs image wasnt bad enough as it is, they are letting rappers design jerseys now? what a joke.

Well, I guess you could say he is a clothing designer as well, because, he does have a clothing company called Sean John.

Just what we need, more rappers branching off into clothing/alcholol . Pretty sad!

eh, he's had his own clothing line for a couple years now. last year he brought in 4 times the money with his clothing line than his music sales.. why does everyone hate??

I'll wait and see before making a comment ...

Some one is cheesed off because their team stinks :p

heh, yeah, but thats beyond the point. my point is that p-diddy is a rapper who was involved in a murder trial not all that long ago. i realize that he is a clothing designer, but that doesnt change anything. the nba has an image problem. i challenge anyone to prove me wrong there. this is going to sound racist, its not. but honestly, if the nba wants to win back its white audience, thuggish uniforms on thuggish players just isnt going to cut it. the constant off court problems, the lakers dynasty, god awful officiating, low scoring, and an all around pathetic eastern conference, have all cost the nba dearly. recent figures show the nba very close to being surpassed by baseball in profits for 2nd behind the nfl in the 4 major US sports. im rambling now, basically pdiddy designing uniforms (N).

how would you know that he would design "thug" uniforms...im sure they wouldnt allow that..

well sports are based on how well you compete...and as it seems...white ppl cant seem to keep up with black ppl in basketball..:)..i know you werent veing racist..but that is kind of low saying that rappers cant design..and they have sex/murder scandals...doesnt that happen to all people/celebs...ive seen plenty of white people and celebritys, presidents, athletes who were involved in the same thing..

The problem with celebs is, any little thing they do wrong, gets magnified beyond belief by the media. Looking at every little angle and picking it apart things by the media doesn't help either...