Problems after problems

Question

hey again,

now after formatting my computer, ole32.dll was screwed up, so i reformatted and now i have 2 problems with windows xp...

1. display looks stuffed up

2. windows media player 9 cannot play divx files even though divx codec has been installed and uninstalled and reinstalled several times.

here is a screen shot:

post-12-1070715992.png

12 answers to this question

is it a windows xp installation error..? because i seriously cannot be bothered formatting again, 2 formats in 2 days isn't a cool thing to do... lol...

even for mouse cursors sometimes i see dots next to them... like for example, if i'm stretching a window, there will be a verticle line of dots next to the cursor...

Don't think it's an XP installation error (as I'm pretty sure that XP runs CRC checks on the data it installs), it seems more like data is becoming corrupted somehow. You wouldn't happen to have a VIA chipset, would you?

Spec out your PC for us, that will help.

i'm running

P4 2.4b

512mb PC2700 DDR

ATi Radeon 9700

EPoX 4PEA+ mobo (Intel 845PE chipset)

WD 120gig 7200rpm 8mb buffer HDD

Maxtor 40gig 7200rpm

thanks in advance... it's so annoying...

Well, I haven't a got a clue. If you had a VIA chipset, I would ring alarm bells given the recent bug with the Hyperion's causing data corruption, also with the earlier versions of the VIA chipsets (KT333 and below) having latency issues. But you don't apply there.

The data corruption seems awfully isolated. Even the smallest rate of corruption would disable a system very very promptly.

I have a theory, maybe the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM you're using to install XP from is playing funny buggers with you. Perhaps try reformatting with another drive if you have one handy? The only other thing it could be is a bad XP CD, but I reiterate my scepticism about that theory as the problems would likely surface during the install - not afterwards.

That's all I can come up with. Hope it helps!

hahaha thanks BananaMan, before reading this i was actually thinking of resorting to do something like that... such a bloody hassel... i just wanted to find an easy way out of fixing this... argh

thanks for your help

yanman, I just saw your post on this thread. That dismisses the idea of something going wrong with your installation, there's definately some form of corruption occuring if NFSU has textures which flicker and corrupt with an insanely low frame rate.

This is a long shot, but could something be wrong with your video card? Have you tried taking out your video card and replacing it with another, and seeing if these issues persist? Or, take your video card and put it in someone elses PC and seeing if the symptoms begin there?

lol, yeah i was going to try that, but with my voodoo 3 and i was considering buying a new video card. but first i'll format once more and see how everything goes.... argh..... so annoying

thanks bananaman

I say vid card problem. Mine slowly deteriorated and had lines and then BSOD's and mine was a GF2.

Try another card and see how it goes if you can borrow one from a friend.

i'm running Cat3.9, it worked fine before, then NFS U graphics started stuffing up... and i haven't tried other games yet because i haven't installed them due to formatting... nah the monitor looks fine, i know it's not a monitor issue

Davey: i hope it isn't a video card problem... lol... although i wouldn't mind a new video card, if i had the money that is. yeah i will try with a new card........ so annoying