Should NCAA football have a playoff?

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should NCAA football have a playoff?

• Yes - 32 teams
    • Yes - 16 teams
    • Yes - 8 teams
    • Yes - 4 teams
    • No - BCS is fine
    • No - go back to the old system.

With Oklahoma on the verge of losing to k-state tonight, we are left with at least 3 teams more than qualified for a shot at the national championship. if tcu would have finished undefeated, i would be making a case for their right to play for it as well. the playoff system works marvelously in college basketball, and all professional sports. i have a hard time following college football closely for this reason. i think a playoff is the only way to go. the ncaa is holding itself back with the bowl system. i say a 16 team playoff should be enough. start the regular season one week early and have the playoffs begin the 2nd week in december, and finish near new years day.

yes. the ncaa never has a TRUE champion... and in years past there have been "split championships"... those are freaking bs, and annoying

i voted yes - 16 teams

lol - that would be crazy.. and a ToN of football :yes:

it would be pretty cool though, i know i'd have a few brackets filled out. and i'd be running two pools a year instead of just the one in march.

There is too much money involved with all these bowl games, it's doubtful that it will happen in the future, but I agree, they need to change it to something better that having a computer control who is better than who.

There is too much money involved with all these bowl games, it's doubtful that it will happen in the future, but I agree, they need to change it to something better that having a computer control who is better than who.

I think what they are missing is the big picture. Look at the $$$$ the NCAA brings in due to the Basketball Tournament.

They could still have the big bowls, Rose, Fiesta, Orange, etc.....but have those as the quater and semifinal games. et al Final Four type stuff.

The money will be there. They are just afraid to find out how much.

money isnt really the issue with college football.... any respectable college has atleast a 50,000 seat staduim which is sold out almost every game. yes this tournament would bring in alot of money - but thats not what is holding them back. they dont even have to budget to pay the players, like in the pros - they make almost a 100% profit

Oh, I know that, but to be invited to a bowl is a HUGE payday for the school. For each of the six automatic bids, the school receives 11 Million dollars. For the rest, they get slightly less than that.

So the money is huge.

Money is always an issue and always is the biggest issue. Case in point - the Florida State Criminoles lobbied against the Rose Bowl because of their travelling budget (too much money spent in court?) and also they wanted to stay close to home so they get the Orange Bowl with Miami. Talk about Jailhouse Rock...

Best way to do it is just take the top 4 teams in the Bull Crap System and let the 2 bowl games they play be the playoff. So, the winner of USC-Michigan plays the winner of OU-LSU. Simple. And you still keep the BCS, still keep the bowls, and still get a true champion. The deciding factor, if there's say, 5 teams in line for a playoff, would be to just take the school with the tougher schedule. Simple. Basketball has the best system, even if there are 8 teams per conference some years. Strength of conference is important, as is schedule.

I still don't think it's fair for some teams to have to play a conference championship game and have it affect their BCS rankings. Those championships are STRICTLY for money, nothing else.

I agree the BCS is pathetic; I voted a 16 team play off. They can start the season a week earlier and have the whole month of December to play the other games have no bowls and ONE National Champion.

Yes, and since the league presidents are run by greed & will probably find out that more money can be made by going to a playoff they might switch in the near future. Some argue that these football kid's can't play because they'll miss too much class, what hypocrites. Couple of basketball games for college basketball player, this basketball player will miss more games in these couple of games then a college football player all season. Plus the fact that right now most colleges are on winter break for a month or so (playoffs could be played out right now). I don't see why there shouldn't be a playoff. It will probably decrease value of some regular season games, but you'll still have games such as Michigan-Ohio State to spice things up. And a Playoff would be incredible to watch & be great for ratings.

They can still have a playoff AND bowl games! Each game would be one of the bowl games, and the big bowl games, would take turns hosting the championship.

BTW, my alma matter, the University of North Dakota is playing in the Div. II championship game this saturday. Go fighting Sioux! :D

I say a 16 team playoff, all 10 conferences (ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, Pac-10, SEC, Sun Belt, and WAC) and then with 5 wild cards. Play it like NCAA Tournament:

1 vs 16

2 vs 15

3 vs 14

4 vs 15 and so on...