Idea to improve PS4 wireless

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

Brandon H

I would like to be able to use remote play effectively on my PS4 but i'm not able to hardwire it to my router. the PS4 wireless really is not that great. so i had an idea and was wondering if it was worth it to spend a bit of money and bring this idea together.

as I have an AC router I was thinking of getting a decent WiFi extender such as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122590 and then plugging my PS4 into it with an ethernet cord.

would this be a viable solution or do you guys have any better ideas? that extender is pretty fairly priced and has good reviews. i'll probably pick it up if you guys think it's worth it. i've never worked with an extender before so was hoping for some opinions

7 answers to this question

+BudMan

If that device can be used as bridge then sure - its still only 2x2

Where does it say it can be a bridge?

• Two WiFi Modes
    Repeater mode to boost existing WiFi. Access Point mode to create new AC WiFi access.

What is your internet speed?  That powerline here shows http://www.avforums.com/review/tp-link-tl-pa6010kit-powerline-adaptor-review.9349 it could do 170Mbps down and 158Mps up

While your router shows only
    post-14624-0-22433900-1400804550.jpg

Your PS4 is only 2x2 2.4 N, even with 40mhz channels max you could do is 300 RAW total, that is if your using 400ns guard internal - if your mixed with G that is not going to happen.  So more like 270 RAW max.. Now I don't know what your internet speed is..  Keep in mind that is RAW, do a /2 to put you more in the ball park at the BEST..  Is it over 100mbps?  I still say you will have more bandwidth, less issues and more stable with wired connection - ie the powerlines.  Keep in mind while your playing games do you have other wireless sharing your bandwidth?

Here is the bottom line, it is always better to go with a wire - ALWAYS!!  since you can not run a true wire, the best you can do is powerline.  I have not been able to do a full battery of tests as of yet with my new unifi AC AP and 3x3 pce-ac68 card.  But I did see a quick test of 271Mbps with iperf to my server..  That was on AC (5ghz) 80mhz channels with 3x3 and connection listed at 1300 with AC.. On a wire I see 800+  to the same server.  Why and the world would I use wireless ;)

Those powerline you linked to where 10$ less and from the benchmarks I could look up are double in speed..
The Evil Overlord

I use a wireless bridge on mine, it helps, so I would recommend any decent bridge device, so long as you have a dual band router for my set up

(5ghz for the bridge then running wired to my ps4 and blu ray player)

+BudMan

How would that speed up your connection? If used as AP it would extend your coverage area, if used as Repeater it would extend your cover but /2 your bandwidth

So its seems wifi in ps4 is 2x2 2.4 N, You have a AC router now, what model - if you can not run a wire.. I would agree better option is Bridge -- is your router 3x3? Then a 3x3 bridge would be best AC.

Or look to powerline adapter as other option, most likely cheaper.

• Like 1
Aergan

I second using a powerline adapter instead of wireless (assuming they work correctly on your home's electrical wiring & point to point cable route).

xendrome

Or just run a CAT5?

What router do you have and how far away is the PS4, you shouldn't have any problems if the distance is reasonable.... Latest router firmware?

Brandon H

How would that speed up your connection? If used as AP it would extend your coverage area, if used as Repeater it would extend your cover but /2 your bandwidth

So its seems wifi in ps4 is 2x2 2.4 N, You have a AC router now, what model - if you can not run a wire.. I would agree better option is Bridge -- is your router 3x3? Then a 3x3 bridge would be best AC.

Or look to powerline adapter as other option, most likely cheaper.

I have the Linksys WRT1900 router.

as for a good bridge do you have any recommendations?

i don't really know too much about powerline adapters. i've heard they can be slower than wireless. if that's not true then it might be worth looking into as well

edit: after a bit of looking around, i still come back to the idea of using this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122590 as a bridge and not as an extender (since it has an ethernet port on it). would that be feasible or would it still be better to get a device that's specifically for a bridge?

for powerline adapters i found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704200

Or just run a CAT5?

unfortunately that isn't an option as i'm in a rented town home

Brandon H

power lines it is then. thanks for the help guys :)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.0.0
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To see a comparison of popular media servers, click here.

Universal Media Server 10.0.0 - 2021-01-12 - Changes since 10.0.0-a1:

General

Retry media lookups that failed due to transient errors Fixed automatic file watching Renderers

Improved support for Sony Bluray UBP-X800M2 (thanks, thechrisgregory!) Fixed UPnP pushing via Panasonic TVs and Samsung Q9 TVs Translation updates via Crowdin

Czech (100%) Danish (100%) English (United Kingdom) (32%) Finnish (100%) Greek (91%) French (100%) Japanese (99%) Polish (100%) Portuguese (100%) Portuguese (Brazilian) (100%) Romanian (99%) Serbian (99%) Turkish (100%) Dependency updates

Bump spotbugs-maven-plugin from 4.1.4 to 4.2.0 Universal Media Server 10.0.0 - 2021-01-12 - Changes since 9.8.3:

DLNA browsing

When browsing a TV show in the Media Library, all videos across all seasons are visible. There are two new folders within the Movies and TV Shows folders - Filter by Progress and Filter by Information. Filter by Progress contains the Watched and Unwatched folders which used to sit within the Videos folder in the Media Library Filter by Information lets you filter the videos by a new rich metadata set (actors, genres, country, director, genre, IMDb rating, release date). Alongside that is a similar folder Filter by Information which lets you filter the videos by API metadata (actors, genres, etc.) New folders Recently Added, Recently Played, In Progress and Most Played are in the Media Library Web interface

Added breadcrumbs at the top of each page When in the TV Shows area of the Media Library, the TV shows themselves are shown as thumbnails, with covers from the API When browsing a TV show, a movie, or a TV episode, any API metadata is displayed along with a large cover image, including actors, awards, classification, country, directors, genres, plot, ratings, year, and total seasons. On those pages above, the colors on the pages are based on the cover image Clicking on an individual actor, country, director, genre, or start year, takes you to a list of other media that matches that metadata The last few items in the Recently Added, Recently Played, In Progress and Most Played folders are displayed on the front page Each TV show and movie has an IMDb icon and direct link if one is found Folder and media covers are shown Fixed bugs with the Back button Version has moved to the settings menu Minor design updates General

API is enabled even without filename prettifying Failed API lookups are debounced by 1 week to avoid network spam Changed prettified season/episode number formatting from Series - 101 - Episode to Series S01E01 - Episode Fixed some bugs with prettifying to support more files Added support for audio playlist thumbnails (thanks, sf666!) Playlist folders are correctly identified via UPnP (thanks, sf666!) Fixed automatic file watching Renderers

Improved support for Sony Bluray UBP-X800M2 (thanks, thechrisgregory!) Fixed UPnP pushing via Panasonic TVs and Samsung Q9 TVs Translation updates via Crowdin

Czech (100%) Danish (100%) English (United Kingdom) (32%) Finnish (100%) Greek (91%) French (100%) Japanese (99%) Polish (100%) Portuguese (100%) Portuguese (Brazilian) (100%) Romanian (99%) Serbian (99%) Turkish (100%) Dependency updates

Bump jQuery from 1.12.0 to 3.5.1 Bump spotbugs-maven-plugin from 4.1.4 to 4.2.0 Bump video.js from 7.2.3 to 7.10.1 Download: Universal Media Server 10.0 | 160.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Other operating systems
      View: Universal Media Server Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Namerah S
      Sony has announced the Indian launch date for the PlayStation 5
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Image via PlayStation India Following its October release in North America and some other regions, Sony has finally officially decided to bring its next-gen console to the Indian market. The PlayStation 5's Indian launch date was revealed today along with a few other details.

As seen in the announcement made on Twitter by PlayStation India, the PS5 will be available to purchase in the Indian region on February 2, 2021. Local residents will be able to place their pre-orders in about ten days; from January 12 onwards. Pre-orders will go live at 12:00 PM (IST) on that day.

Sony India has also mentioned some of its official retail partners in the Asian country. These are Amazon India, Flipkart, Croma, Reliance Digital, Games The Shop, Shop at Sony Center, Vijay Sales and more.

As for the price of the video game system in India, this was announced back in October. The PlayStation 5 will set customers back ₹49,990 ($685) whereas the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition will cost ₹39,990 ($550). In context, the US prices are $499 (₹36,470) and $399 (₹29,160) for the respective versions of the console.

• By Namerah S
      Sony announces PlayStation Plus titles for January 2021
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

The names of titles to be added to Sony's monthly PlayStation Plus subscription service next month were announced today. In January 2021, PlayStation 4 owners who have the PS Plus membership will enjoy two freebies for the month. Meanwhile, PS5 users with the subscription will also get one free game.

Starting from January 5, PS4 users with the PS Plus subscription will be able to play action-adventure title Shadow of the Tomb Raider from the wildly popular Tomb Raider franchise. Square Enix debuted the game featuring Lara Croft at E3 2018. As for the second free title for the next month, that will be Greedfall, an ARPG video game developed by Spider and published by Focus Home Interactive. Incidentally, Greedfall also joined the Xbox Game Pass subscription earlier this month.

In addition to the freebies which will be available to PlayStation 4 gamers, Sony also announced that PlayStation 5 users with the PS Plus membership will get to play open-world RPG Maneater free of charge.

As usual, PlayStation Plus subscribers will have about one month to take advantage of their membership and play the free video games. The January 2021 games will be available until February 1, 2021.

• By anmol112
      Cyberpunk 2077 gets version 1.06 update, removes 8MB save file limit
      by Anmol Mehrotra

CD Projekt Red (CDPR) has released a new update for Cyberpunk 2077. The new update brings the game to version 1.06 and removes the 8MB save file limit. Recently, Cyberpunk 2077 players discovered that there is a save file cap of 8MB and the game fails to load the file once the 8MB limit is reached. Fortunately, the new update will remove that limit but if your files were corrupted before the update then there is nothing you can do about it.

The new update is available for both consoles and PCs. Here is the full changelog for the update:

Cyberpunk 2077 had a buggy launch forcing the studio to issue a public apology and promise to fix the issues on both PCs and consoles. The game was further delisted from Sony's PlayStation Store while Microsoft promised refunds to anyone who wanted to return the digital copy of the game. Despite the disastrous launch, CDPR still managed to sell over 13 million copies worldwide after adjusting for the refunds till December 20.

Since the launch of Cyberpunk 2077, CDPR has suffered significant losses in the Polish stock market wiping almost $1 billion off the owner's wealth and dropping the stock price by almost 40%.

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 9.8.3
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To see a comparison of popular media servers, click here.

Universal Media Server 9.8.3 changelog:

General

Added option to allow symlinked files to be treat as their real target file (thanks, SurfaceS!) Fixed handling of web streams while transcoding with VLC (thanks, fu2x!) Fixed support for subtitles with some user and renderer config combinations Fixed renderer configuration change-detection not always working (thanks, fu2x!) Fixed various errors on the web interface (thanks, SurfaceS!) Fixed all code lint and enforce it in GitHub Actions Fixed sending empty MusicBrainz requests Fixed sending unnecessary network requests Renderers

Improved support for Sony Bravia XF series Improved support for Yamaha A/V receivers Improved detection of VLC for desktop Translation updates via Crowdin:

Chinese (Traditional) (100%) Czech (100%) Dependencies

Bump assertj-core from 3.18.0 to 3.18.1 Bump com.sun.xml.bind-version from 3.0.0-M5 to 3.0.0 Bump icu4j from 68.1 to 68.2 Bump maven-pmd-plugin from 3.13.0 to 3.14.0 Bump MediaInfo to 20.09 Bump oshi-core from 5.3.4 to 5.3.7 Bump saaj-impl from 1.5.2 to 2.0.0 Bump twelvemonkeys-imageio-version from 3.6 to 3.6.1 Download: Universal Media Server 9.8.3 | 161.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Other operating systems
      View: Universal Media Server Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware