Idea to improve PS4 wireless

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

Brandon H

I would like to be able to use remote play effectively on my PS4 but i'm not able to hardwire it to my router. the PS4 wireless really is not that great. so i had an idea and was wondering if it was worth it to spend a bit of money and bring this idea together.

as I have an AC router I was thinking of getting a decent WiFi extender such as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122590 and then plugging my PS4 into it with an ethernet cord.

would this be a viable solution or do you guys have any better ideas? that extender is pretty fairly priced and has good reviews. i'll probably pick it up if you guys think it's worth it. i've never worked with an extender before so was hoping for some opinions

7 answers to this question

+BudMan

If that device can be used as bridge then sure - its still only 2x2

Where does it say it can be a bridge?

• Two WiFi Modes
    Repeater mode to boost existing WiFi. Access Point mode to create new AC WiFi access.

What is your internet speed?  That powerline here shows http://www.avforums.com/review/tp-link-tl-pa6010kit-powerline-adaptor-review.9349 it could do 170Mbps down and 158Mps up

While your router shows only
    post-14624-0-22433900-1400804550.jpg

Your PS4 is only 2x2 2.4 N, even with 40mhz channels max you could do is 300 RAW total, that is if your using 400ns guard internal - if your mixed with G that is not going to happen.  So more like 270 RAW max.. Now I don't know what your internet speed is..  Keep in mind that is RAW, do a /2 to put you more in the ball park at the BEST..  Is it over 100mbps?  I still say you will have more bandwidth, less issues and more stable with wired connection - ie the powerlines.  Keep in mind while your playing games do you have other wireless sharing your bandwidth?

Here is the bottom line, it is always better to go with a wire - ALWAYS!!  since you can not run a true wire, the best you can do is powerline.  I have not been able to do a full battery of tests as of yet with my new unifi AC AP and 3x3 pce-ac68 card.  But I did see a quick test of 271Mbps with iperf to my server..  That was on AC (5ghz) 80mhz channels with 3x3 and connection listed at 1300 with AC.. On a wire I see 800+  to the same server.  Why and the world would I use wireless ;)

Those powerline you linked to where 10$ less and from the benchmarks I could look up are double in speed..
The Evil Overlord

I use a wireless bridge on mine, it helps, so I would recommend any decent bridge device, so long as you have a dual band router for my set up

(5ghz for the bridge then running wired to my ps4 and blu ray player)

+BudMan

How would that speed up your connection? If used as AP it would extend your coverage area, if used as Repeater it would extend your cover but /2 your bandwidth

So its seems wifi in ps4 is 2x2 2.4 N, You have a AC router now, what model - if you can not run a wire.. I would agree better option is Bridge -- is your router 3x3? Then a 3x3 bridge would be best AC.

Or look to powerline adapter as other option, most likely cheaper.

• Like 1
Aergan

I second using a powerline adapter instead of wireless (assuming they work correctly on your home's electrical wiring & point to point cable route).

xendrome

Or just run a CAT5?

What router do you have and how far away is the PS4, you shouldn't have any problems if the distance is reasonable.... Latest router firmware?

Brandon H

How would that speed up your connection? If used as AP it would extend your coverage area, if used as Repeater it would extend your cover but /2 your bandwidth

So its seems wifi in ps4 is 2x2 2.4 N, You have a AC router now, what model - if you can not run a wire.. I would agree better option is Bridge -- is your router 3x3? Then a 3x3 bridge would be best AC.

Or look to powerline adapter as other option, most likely cheaper.

I have the Linksys WRT1900 router.

as for a good bridge do you have any recommendations?

i don't really know too much about powerline adapters. i've heard they can be slower than wireless. if that's not true then it might be worth looking into as well

edit: after a bit of looking around, i still come back to the idea of using this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122590 as a bridge and not as an extender (since it has an ethernet port on it). would that be feasible or would it still be better to get a device that's specifically for a bridge?

for powerline adapters i found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704200

Or just run a CAT5?

unfortunately that isn't an option as i'm in a rented town home

Brandon H

power lines it is then. thanks for the help guys :)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      PlayStation Now is finally getting support for 1080p streaming
      by Usama Jawad

There are two core services which make up the online PlayStation experience: namely PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now. You can find out more details about each of them in our dedicated article here, but in a nutshell, the former allows you to play multiplayer games online and also throws in a selection of games each month that you can play for free. Meanwhile, the latter allows you to stream a vast library of games to your PS4, PS5, or PC.

Up until now, streaming on PlayStation Now has been limited to 720p resolution, which doesn't impact old PlayStation games as much, but significantly pulls back the visual fidelity in newer titles. This is set to change soon as Sony has announced that it will start supporting 1080p streaming for capable games this week:

It is interesting to note that Sony first promised to roll out support for 1080p streaming back in 2019, and it took two years for the plan to come to fruition.

All in all, this is good news for gamers because it offers them titles in higher resolution, bringing them in line with the visual fidelity offered by games being played in the traditional method. On the other side of the fence, cloud gaming via Xbox Game Pass is currently limited to 720p too, but we do know that Microsoft is testing out support for 1080p streaming internally as well.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Days Gone launches May 18 on PC, platform specific enhancements detailed
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Sony and Bend Studio announced in February that Days Gone will soon leave its PlayStation exclusivity behind, with the action survival horror game getting a PC release this year. Now, that release has a launch date attached to it. Days Gone is launching across Steam and the Epic Games Store on May 18.

As with most other console ports nowadays, the PC version is landing with additional enhancements over the original 2019 PlayStation 4 version. Bend Studio says the new version has "increased level of detail, foliage draw distances, and graphical customization" options for much better visuals.

Support for unlocked frame rates, ultra-wide monitors, keyboard and mouse, as well as first- and third-party controllers were confirmed as well. Moreover, there will be a Super Resolution Photo Mode included here, an upgraded version of what is available in the original.

Days Gone PC pre-orders are now available across Steam and Epic Games Store for $49.99. Following this launch, and with Horizon Zero Dawn now behind it, Sony is planning to bring even more PlayStation exclusives to PC, though no specific games have been announced just yet.

• By anmol112
      Cyberpunk 2077 gets a new hotfix with a host of fixes and improvements
      by Anmol Mehrotra

CD Projekt RED (CDPR) has released a new hotfix for Cyberpunk 2077. The Polish gaming company released version 1.2 update last month and the new hotfix builds upon the initial update. Here is the full changelog for the update:

Apart from Quest and Open World fixes, CDPR has also released some visual, UI and gameplay fixes. These include fixes for issues related to NPC clothing, NCPD officers spawning behind the player and more. Here is the changelog for the same:

Lastly, there are some stability and performance, console, and Stadia specific fixes. These include fixes for graphical issues, memory management improvements and more. You can head down to check out the changelog:

Cyberpunk 2077 had a rocky start with Sony delisting the game from PlayStation Store and Microsoft offering no questions asked refunds. Even with all the controversies, CDPR sold more than 13 million copies of the game in the first few weeks after the launch. Earlier today, the company confirmed that it plans to continue supporting Cyberpunk 2077 and sell it 'for years to come'.

• By indospot
      You'll be able to store PlayStation 5 games on external storage tomorrow
      by João Carrasqueira

Today, Sony announced the first major software update for the PlayStation 5 console, which will be arriving tomorrow. The update delivers a handful of new improvements for game management and social features, and it will be available tomorrow.

The most notable addition is likely the ability to store PlayStation 5 games on external USB storage. Because PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S have SSDs and a new storage architecture, games can't be played off of slower external storage, but Microsoft's console has always given you the option to store them there until you're ready to play. Sony is now catching up and enabling that feature on its own console.

What's not being added is the ability to use an M.2 SSD. Sony opted for a standard format for its SSD storage expansion as opposed to Microsoft's proprietary expansion cards, but it says it's still working to enable the feature. In the meantime, you still have to play PlayStation 5 games off of the built-in storage.

Social features are also getting improvements, with Sony enabling cross-generation Share Play. That means a PlayStation 5 user can now invite a friend on PlayStation 4 to watch a game session or even take control of a PlayStation 5 game from their own console. Additionally, it'll be possible to request to join a friend's game session on either PlayStation 4 or 5.

Sony is also updating the Game Base UI to give quicker access to parties and friends, as well as adding the ability to turn notifications on or off for each party the user is in. Additionally, it will be possible to disable game chat entirely or to individually adjust the chat volume for each of the players in your group chat.

Other improvements include the ability for games to automatically download update data in the background so they're ready to play when the user boots them up, a more customizable game library with the ability to hide or search for certain games, and new Trophy settings as well as a new Trophy Stats screen. For users with special accessibility needs, there's also a new screen magnification option.

Outside of the PlayStation 5 itself, Sony has also announced updates for the PlayStation app on Android and iOS. The company recently added the ability to save products to a wishlist, get notifications for when friends are online, and change a console's online status. Soon, it will also add the ability to join a PlayStation 5 multiplayer session, manage the console's storage, and compare trophy collections with friends, all inside the app.

• By Namerah S
      Krafton launches top-down mini-game POBG inside PUBG
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

In honour of April Fool's Day, companies around the globe have celebrated the day with fake products and ridiculous announcements. At first sight, one might think that the announcement of the game titled PlayerOmnom's Battlegrounds, or POBG as most people are calling it, is one such prank.

On the contrary, the creator of the wildly popular battle royale title PlayerUknown's Battlegrounds says so otherwise. Krafton has released an official statement authenticating that POBG is indeed real. PUBG's makers are currently offering players a chance to play POBG, which they are jokingly claiming to be the inspiration for the main game.

Players can enjoy the title in the form of a mini-game within the PC version of PlayerUknown's Battlegrounds. A gag trailer for the newly unveiled game-within-a-game can be seen below:

The mini-game is available for a short period of time. PUBG players can play the top-down shooter through the lobby of the game. PC users will be able to play POBG starting from today until April 12.

Meanwhile, console owners have not been left out of the April Fool's special release. PUBG players on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One platforms will be able to play POBG through the main game's lobby from April 8 through April 19, 2021.