E3 2014 Sony Press Conference Discussion

People have kids. Would you play Gear of Wars with a 9 years old girl ???

Nah you play Little big planet or Lego games or Mario games.

Wasn't trying to imply as if there's no reason to enjoy it, just saying I never did. But some people having kids doesn't explain the tremendous hype around it anyway :P

Wasn't trying to imply as if there's no reason to enjoy it, just saying I never did. But some people having kids doesn't explain the tremendous hype around it anyway :p

Probably not. But honestly there's so few good games to play with kids these days. I mean lego games are nothing to write home about but i had so much fun playing Lego Indiana with my daughter i would be almost ready to call it one of the best game of the last generation. If you have kids you almost need to own a Wii it is that sad imo.

PS4 definitely won if Order is exclusive.

Hey that is fine if you felt The Order was the best game to you.

I think both conferences were actually weak. To the point i'm not even sure i'll buy a new console this year. I'll play all multiplatform games on PC anyway. There's no way i'm gonna play Witcher 3 or the new Batman on consoles while i can play them with real next gen gfx on PC.

I can't recall all exclusives shown and i'll surely forget one of two but for the most part it was meh.

Scalebond : looks bad but i'll need to see more but is it like Pokemon for adults ???

Consider that my point of view is someone that already owns the consoles. So I'm not trying to justify a console purchase like you are. So when I say I was happy with both, its because there are enough games I want to buy on both.

Also, I'm really not sure where you got the impression that Scalebond was like Pokemon, but I would highly suggest you wait to hear some actual impressions. Nothing from that trailer they showed said 'pokemon' to me.

Beyond all the big name titles that everyone focuses on, titles like Ori on the X1 and Grim Fandango on the PS4 are actually titles that highly appeal to me. So much so, in fact, that they carry the weight of a AAA title. Remember, this is based on my preferences and not a blanket statement.

Plus, your a pc gamer first, so its no shocker to me that your finding it hard to justify buying a console at all. Maybe consoles just aren't for you in the end, and that's ok.

Okay so I missed the first 20 minutes due to Ustream crapping out on my PS4 and the PS4 IGN app freezing after it turned onto HD streaming, every time. Had to watch on a laptop. Seen 50% of Destiny kicking things off.

Due to me being in bed on a laptop I decided I'd just lie back and watch the whole show and then Tweet afterwards, drifted in and out of sleep, especially during Laydens rambling (miss you Jack!). By the end I passed out and missed Andy, Larry and others sending me about 10 tweets :p

Happy with the show, completely missed The Order so will watch just now. Couple of downers, no new FW (might be announced on it's own this week), Bloodborne had no gameplay (at least some leaked), Uncharted 4 footage was brief, and of course The Last Guardian still MIA. Still a good conference by E3 standards. Vita TV is a great idea, Sony really are moving forward at some pace with PS Now and hardware to support it.

What is interesting about Uncharted at least is the studio having an exodus, really intrigued to see if it's because Druckmann has taken it more to M rather than Teen. Not saying full on M rating, but a shake up in Uncharted writing could be what the title needs for a 4th mainline entry. Plus it will be the PS4's graphical showcase as always.

Was Driveclub shown at all at the start? Guessing it might just be kept for show floor demos.

Grim Fandango was my OMG moment, totally unexpected and awesome. Adventure games are not dead  :D

edit: Can't forget Abzu, as I'm a Thatgamecompany fanboy (I know it's by ex-staff). Looks like Flow had a baby with Journey.

Okay so I missed the first 20 minutes due to Ustream crapping out on my PS4 and the PS4 IGN app freezing after it turned onto HD streaming, every time. Had to watch on a laptop. Seen 50% of Destiny kicking things off.

Due to me being in bed on a laptop I decided I'd just lie back and watch the whole show and then Tweet afterwards, drifted in and out of sleep, especially during Laydens rambling (miss you Jack!). By the end I passed out and missed Andy, Larry and others sending me about 10 tweets :p

Happy with the show, completely missed The Order so will watch just now. Couple of downers, no new FW (might be announced on it's own this week), Bloodborne had no gameplay (at least some leaked), Uncharted 4 footage was brief, and of course The Last Guardian still MIA. Still a good conference by E3 standards. Vita TV is a great idea, Sony really are moving forward at some pace with PS Now and hardware to support it.

What is interesting about Uncharted at least is the studio having an exodus, really intrigued to see if it's because Druckmann has taken it more to M rather than Teen. Not saying full on M rating, but a shake up in Uncharted writing could be what the title needs for a 4th mainline entry. Plus it will be the PS4's graphical showcase as always.

Was Driveclub shown at all at the start? Guessing it might just be kept for show floor demos.

Grim Fandango was my OMG moment, totally unexpected and awesome. Adventure games are not dead  :D

edit: Can't forget Abzu, as I'm a Thatgamecompany fanboy (I know it's by ex-staff). Looks like Flow had a baby with Journey.

Thought the same thing about ABZU.

No worries about Druckman, et al, on Uncharted 4 -- Hennig already had the story written, and that team (TLOU team) was also the ones who did Uncharted 2.

So that's it?

Well overall feeling is a meh. Neither Sony nor Microsoft showed anything particularly noteworthy.

So many remakes and sequels.

I'm more disappointed by Sony's lineup than Microsoft's, I was expecting a little more variety from Sony. But no, just the same old rehashed stuff. About the best thing between the two conferences was Insomniac's surprise trailer. 

All aboard the Nintendo hype train I guess. 

Joke post?

Quite excited to pick that white Ps4 Destiny bundle in September. Ps4 still costs about $700 in India so hoping to get a job by then and save money. I was very disappointed with Vita announcements. As someone who was looking to pick a Vita, Sony continued disappointing with lack of Triple A titles from Western developers *sighs*

This was the best Sony E3 conference in a looong time.. Sony absolutely killed it.. lots of great games, lots of highly anticipated sequels, new IPs, they showed off cool new hardware, showed cool online services.. They killed it this E3.

The only thing that would have taken it even higher would have been an announcement for Last Guardian to finish it off but Uncharted 4 did the trick of me.

The biggest thing that was obvious after watching this conference compared to Xbox is that Microsoft is completely clueless where to go from here.

They are simply fighting to not become irrelevant again and have built this console that is trying to be everything at once and are pushing more non-gaming stuff and some mainstream ###### and just like classic Microsoft, the ###### doesn't even work right or is so buggy and user unfriendly. They have complete lack of vision.

Sony on the other hand has seemingly learned from their mistakes, continues to focus on GAMES, understanding that games are the primary thing here and TV stuff and other 3rd party services, while important, are not the primary reason you own a Playstation hardware. Completely different views and why Sony will kick Microsoft's butt this time around.

Watching TV, shows and all this other online services stuff is secondary really. Yes, it needs to be there but I turn it on and off on occasion, but the real entertainment I enjoy on these consoles are games. Sony gets it.

Sony's E3 press conference made me wanna go and buy PS4.

This was the best Sony E3 conference in a looong time.. Sony absolutely killed it.. lots of great games, lots of highly anticipated sequels, new IPs, they showed off cool new hardware, showed cool online services.. They killed it this E3.

The only thing that would have taken it even higher would have been an announcement for Last Guardian to finish it off but Uncharted 4 did the trick of me.

The biggest thing that was obvious after watching this conference compared to Xbox is that Microsoft is completely clueless where to go from here.

They are simply fighting to not become irrelevant again and have built this console that is trying to be everything at once and are pushing more non-gaming stuff and some mainstream ###### and just like classic Microsoft, the ###### doesn't even work right or is so buggy and user unfriendly. They have complete lack of vision.

Sony on the other hand has seemingly learned from their mistakes, continues to focus on GAMES, understanding that games are the primary thing here and TV stuff and other 3rd party services, while important, are not the primary reason you own a Playstation hardware. Completely different views and why Sony will kick Microsoft's butt this time around.

Watching TV, shows and all this other online services stuff is secondary really. Yes, it needs to be there but I turn it on and off on occasion, but the real entertainment I enjoy on these consoles are games. Sony gets it.

Sony's E3 press conference made me wanna go and buy PS4.

Did you watch the 2013 conferences by mistake?

Yes, was wondering the same thing...Boz what are you on? I need some

Yeah, the MS show was a 90 minute orgy of games.

• Like 3

Solid show. Abzu and No Man's Sky were probably the stand out for me. Both look incredible.

Uncharted announcement was great too. But i went away feeling disappointed by The Order. Sure it looks amazing but the gameplay seemed to be on rails. Shooting the monster didn't even matter because it would have gone to the cut scene anyway.

Might double dip on both TLoU and GTA V but not if they're full price. No Last Guardian again was also disappointing.

Really didn't like Shawn Layden during the conference, became a corporate snooze bag (made me miss Jack). He interviews a fair bit better here

At least he knows his games, has worked on games and isn't some nobody suit taken from another industry due to "CV cred".

• Like 2

Really didn't like Shawn Layden during the conference, became a corporate snooze bag (made me miss Jack). He interviews a fair bit better here

At least he knows his games, has worked on games and isn't some nobody suit taken from another industry due to "CV cred".

He's fine, liked his presentation and some of his jokes at the briefing were quite funny. It's the content that he was covering that was slightly problematic, and only because we've been scarred by our beloved industry taking an unhealthy interest in "entertainment services" when with our wallets we keep telling them games are our no. 1 entertainment priority. It's all good though, otherwise we can just start calling him Shawn the Yawn, which i'm sure was his nickname at school when he was a kid :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Polygon have a 20 min video with Jack Tretton

While another suit some of you might see why we prefer him to the new guy, he is a much better speaker.