E3 2014 Microsoft Press Conference Discussion

Conker was only part of Project Spark unless I'm missing something? It's not a new title in the series...

I think his point was more in reference to bringing back old Rare IP at all, in any form. The fact that they are adding the ability for a game creator to build a Conker game is something.

Because it's not gamescon :p

Conker was only part of Project Spark unless I'm missing something? It's not a new title in the series...

I don't see the difference, they're making a new Conker inside of Project Spark, just a bonus in showing off what it can do.  It's still a new game.

I don't see the difference, they're making a new Conker inside of Project Spark, just a bonus in showing off what it can do.  It's still a new game.

I don't think that's what they're doing, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure they said it was skin content, not a Conker game made in Spark? (in the traditional sense at least).

Showing off Kinect games with the "player" clearing mimicking the moves the obviously pre-recorded gameplay footage shows, demos playing with no sound, presenters making rape jokes during gameplay demos.... that was a better presser than today's?

Showing exclusive games, showing a use of the Kinect sensor, talking about TV content that will actually set it apart from the competition in ways other than gaming -- yes, that is immensely better than focusing on third-party games that are going to be available on both Microsoft and Sony's consoles. Watch the 2013 press conference again; there were tons of first-party or exclusive games (Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza, Killer Instinct, Project Spark, D4, Qunatum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, etc) on top of additional types of content for Xbox One owners. Given that the vast majority of Xbox One owners use their consoles for more than just gaming, I'd say that's a good thing.

Very few third-party titles were shown last year. All they did was serve as filler this year. If there's going to be something shown off between exclusive games, I'd prefer them show something I can only get on the console they're touting. We're going to hear about all these third-party games the rest of E3 -- why waste your press conference time on them?

I don't think that's what they're doing, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure they said it was skin content, not a Conker game made in Spark? (in the traditional sense at least).

They didn't say anything specific actually. I think the only thing said was that Conker was 'in' Project Spark, so take that for what you will.

I'm sure it will be clarified shortly.

Both are just as important as each other for different reasons. E3 has the most reach around the world, even outside of gaming media.

That hasn't suddenly changed because MS are holding back content for Gamescom.

The day MS skip E3 and go to Gamescom instead and you can say it's the biggest.

I meant as in having something fresh to  show, for the show... 

Gamescon is IMHO a show big, big enough to have new and fresh content, that is/was separate from what was shown at E3...

Very few third-party titles were shown last year. All they did was serve as filler this year. If there's going to be something shown off between exclusive games, I'd prefer them show something I can only get on the console they're touting. We're going to hear about all these third-party games the rest of E3 -- why waste your press conference time on them?

Because that is what many people were demanding they do.

If your going to devote your entire conference to gaming, your not going to do that with first party titles alone. Even Sony can't do that.

Well, we'll know in time.

Still, my point stands, I think Phil is going to bring back all the IP to the XB1.

Microsoft played it safe...  They seemed scared to take the chances they took last year...  That's no way to be, when trying to show what your product can do...

I know, I know, it's all about games...

But I loved MS last year (the reveal and E3) much more than I loved what they did this year...

They didn't say anything specific actually. I think the only thing said was that Conker was 'in' Project Spark, so take that for what you will.

I'm sure it will be clarified shortly.

Conker is in Project Spark

Rare's foul-mouthed squirrel "only in" UGC game. Um.

By Oli Welsh Published Monday, 9 June 2014

Conker, the absuive, drunken squirrel created by Rare and the star of the cult classic Conker's Bad Fur Day, will be in Project Spark.

"Only" in it, according to a trailer shown at today's E3 Xbox conference (below). "I couldn't resist," lisps the naughty squirrel after chainsawing through the Project Spark logo. "Almost 10 years without a new game. Guess we'll have to make our own!"

Project Spark is the user-generated-content-focused game by Microsoft Studios, due later this year on PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Search us.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-09-conker-is-in-project-spark

Doesn't sound like a Conker game inside PS to me, but who knows.

Would prefer a proper installment, but I guess this is maybe their way of testing the water for interest.

Showing exclusive games, showing a use of the Kinect sensor, talking about TV content that will actually set it apart from the competition in ways other than gaming -- yes, that is immensely better than focusing on third-party games that are going to be available on both Microsoft and Sony's consoles. Watch the 2013 press conference again; there were tons of first-party or exclusive games (Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza, Killer Instinct, Project Spark, D4, Qunatum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, etc) on top of additional types of content for Xbox One owners. Given that the vast majority of Xbox One owners use their consoles for more than just gaming, I'd say that's a good thing.

They got stung bad last year at E3 so I guess they've reverted to their standard E3 fare (like I've already mentioned) of shooty-and bang games with a few guaranteed hits and a few reveals I guess. They'd rather have a presentation labelled boring vs. a year-long tidal wave of negativity I guess. Only way that'll happen this year is if Sony announce something truly spectacular, and I'm kinda doubtful seeing as their big projects (TO:1886, TLoU, Project Morpheus) are already a known quantity and I (sadly) don't think we'll see that many large-scale exclusives.  

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-09-conker-is-in-project-spark

Doesn't sound like a Conker game inside PS to me, but who knows.

Would prefer a proper installment, but I guess this is maybe their way of testing the water for interest.

Either they'll make the Conker game inside PS like I think or they're going to let you make your own Conker game, which is interesting either way.

Microsoft played it safe...  They seemed scared to take the chances they took last year...  That's no way to be, when trying to show what your product can do...

I know, I know, it's all about games...

But I loved MS last year (the reveal and E3) much more than I loved what they did this year...

I'll say it again:

This is what was demanded last year and MS delivered.

The only real issue is if you didn't like the games they talked about.

Why in the world would MS do what they did last year and take the same heat for another whole year?

• Like 2

I did NOT like the games they showed, they all seem like second rate games that won't be nominated for the Game of The Year. Where are all the jaw-dropping games? Where is Quantum Break or the new Mass Effect? Games that break grounds, instead of the same old, same old?

If they want to show games, Mass Effect is WAY more appealing.

Or Star Wars?

I did NOT like the games they showed, they all seem like second rate games that won't be nominated for the Game of The Year. Where are all the jaw-dropping games? Where is Quantum Break or the new Mass Effect? Games that break grounds, instead of the same old, same old?

They're there, you just don't like them. Which is fine, just stop acting like the fact you don't like them means they don't exist. Plus you throw in ME as something you want, but then complain about same old same old? It's the fourth in the series...

Or Star Wars?

That's all opinion based though. Its like trying to say that your opinion is everyone's opinion.

You didn't find a single game you liked, so that means for you, the show was a big failure. Who knows, the Sony show could offer up games that do appeal to you, or maybe you will get unlucky there as well. Heck, maybe you will have to wait for Nintendo's event tomorrow for something that appeals to you.

EA didn't even show off the new ME, you get some concept art.  Good going there.  And we knew days ago that QB is going to be shown at Gamescom, which beckon's the question, what else is MS saving for GamesCom?

EA didn't even show off the new ME, you get some concept art.  Good going there.  And we knew days ago that QB is going to be shown at Gamescom, which beckon's the question, what else is MS saving for GamesCom?

One kinda hopes for at least a sneak preview of whatever Black Tusk is working on. 

That is a good point. MS made it clear ahead of time that QB was going to show up at Gamescom. I would wager many people don't realize that was announced.

One kinda hopes for at least a sneak preview of whatever Black Tusk is working on. 

Well, I don't know if it's the whole team or just part of BT but they're working on a new Gears.   I don't know how big black tusk is and if they can work on two things at once like bioware is for example.

Well, I don't know if it's the whole team or just part of BT but they're working on a new Gears.   I don't know how big black tusk is and if they can work on two things at once like bioware is for example.

I was under the impression that they were working on Gears and some new unannounced ip. We shall see...

Basically games games games. And Halo. Also, they have yet to announce everything. My overwhelming impression was that they were playing E3 safe, showing the titles such as CoD, Halo with a smattering of exclusives and reveals. They essentially served up the standard E3 platter of shooty-and-bang games, Halo and a few other guaranteed crowd-pleasers. However there were lots of notable omissions from this confreence - but basically Phil Spencer has said more announcements coming throughout the year; I'd expect the more story-driven exclusives to be gradually announced and shown at other conferences.  Judging by their pre-E3 pace of news release, they have lots of things they want to announce and a single conference is not enough.

Brief rundown of titles shown:

Halo Master Chief Collection - all multiplayer maps included, all single player missions unlocked from the getgo. Each Halo on their own enhanced engine, all glitches, etc are still there. 11/11/14

Halo 5 coming later - 2015

Halo Nightfall digital series - a separate series to the other Halo TV show coming

CoD: Advanced Warfare - blow up Times Square edition

Forza Horizon 2 - looks pretty

Dead Rising Ultra Super Arcade Remix Hyper Edition Ex Plus Alpha DLC - long name

Assassin's Creed Unity 

Sunset Overdrive looks colorful

More Project Spark

Fable Legends

Tomb Raider

The Division looks quite good - 2015

Exclusive Platinum Games title - Scalebound - dragons and stuff 2015

Killer Instinct

Phantom Dust

Crackdown

Fair amount of indie stuff  - e.g. "Inside" from the Limbo studio 

The summary video at the end actually hints at quite a few new games they didn't show, Gears of War among them.