Police: Dad shoots, kills man who held gun to teen daughter

Protection vs our govt is a smaller concern vs protection from the two legged animals being churned out by certain subcultures. Cops can't be everywhere in a country this large.

Also, I guess you're unaware of the huge percentage of the firearms Americans buy are from companies in Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, Czech Republic, Spain, Brazil, Russia etc. etc.?

My concealed weapons are both by SIG Sauer, a Gernan subsidiary of a Swiss company.

Most survivors of events like this one double down, going to the range more and reviewing their gear choices vs. experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well of course it has to be investigated, or anyone would be inviting people they dislike over and murdering them under the guises of "he invaded my house!"

Chief Wiggum: Now Sideshow Bob can't get in without me knowing. And once a man is in your home, anything you do to him is nice and [winks] legal.

Homer: Is that so? [yells out kitchen window] Oh, Flanders? Won't you join me in my kitchen? [Ned turns off the hose. Homer stands on the wall next to the kitchen arch, preparing to strike Flanders] Heh-heh-heh-heh...

Chief Wiggum: Uh, it doesn't work when you invite 'em.

Ned: Hidilly-hey!

Homer: Go home.

Ned: Toodledy-do!

• Like 2

Wow, what a depressing way to live. The very fact that some people need to think about the best way to kill someone says volumes about the environment they live in.

I moved from Murderapolis, MN in 2008 and I'll likely never live in a big city again.

I would never dream of living in some big city and mostly just for this reason, although there are other reasons.

Glad as heck the dad got the guys and I'd do the exact same thing also!

100% support the family, but that was also pretty brazen. He must shoot often to have had the confidence he wouldn't have hit his daughter.

Nah no one can shoot good under pressure. We know that from the various gun experts here on neowin.

yep, hitting him with his daughter as a human shield takes not only balls, but a good eye. he must practice a lot. as we should if we want to retain our rights.

one thing to remember, if the perp is holding a knife or gun to someone like that, if you shoot them in the head, they will NOT have enough time to pull the trigger or stab before their brain turns to moosh. even if you have to shoot thru the human shield's shoulder to hit him, it's better than the alternative. and never shoot to wound.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.png

Just an FYI and abbreviated lesson on anatomy. There are certain places in the brain, that if damaged, will nullify any voluntary or involuntary motor actions. However, this is not true of every part of the brain and people have remained conscious and fully functioning after receiving severe brain trauma, including being shot in the head. So, with headshots, you are going with the odds. Because, the odds are a headshot, regardless of where it's placed, will drop someone immediately.

Also, there is a major artery that runs through the shoulder which if severed could cause a person to bleed out in mere minutes. This says nothing of ballistics and physics. A bullet can travel once inside the body, and can also ricochet off of bone and be sent through the body in a different direction from its original. There have been plenty of instances in which a bullet has entered a shoulder and penetrated other areas of the body including the heart, lungs, liver, and even the brain, killing people. 

So, unlike shooting someone in the shoulder on television/film where they go on to act normally throughout the rest of the film, in real life a shoulder wound can be fatal. So, I wouldn't ever advise shooting the hostage.

Sorry to go all ballistic trauma geek on you.

^^ Yup. Someone's watched Speed to often.

1) as I noted earlier, the only reliable head shot is to the brain stem and it requires training

2) with modern bullets that deliver remote wounding via hydrostatic shock or fragmentation (or both! - the R.I.P. bullet) shooting the hostage is a non-starter.