Why don't most phones have a flash on the front of the phone?

Eh, selfies are so stupid, I can't wait till this phase dies. You usually use the rear camera at a distance, to take pictures of objects/people. The purpose of the front camera is mainly for video chat (or selfies as the case 99.9% of the time). I personally wouldn't want a bright light 1-3 feet from my face

why can't you hold the front camera the same distance as you would the back camera.

HA.   I know that, and I don't approve

a39c91d80d7b8ebe43d5e682c9d073e98c10d7b5.

Stupid or not (I vote stupid), they are the latest fad.

why can't you hold the front camera the same distance as you would the back camera.

...Your arm is only so long - I can point my phone's rear camera at an object 10 feet away...get it yet? 

• Like 1

...Your arm is only so long - I can point my phone's rear camera at an object 10 feet away...get it yet? 

Not really, I point my rear camera at my face with the flash all the time and the photos come out just fine. Only issue is sometimes it takes a few shots because I can't see if we are centered in frame. Which is why if I had a front flash, I would hold the front camera the same distance from my face as the back camera, while actually being able to see how centered the shot is.

14478816201_70903cf1e4.jpg

Well I'm sorry but that is a crap photo too.

Flash is a bad idea in general. It takes away all the atmosphere unless done professionaly and in moderation. I don't even have a flash on my mirrorless cam anymore.

Flash is a bad idea in general. It takes away all the atmosphere unless done professionaly and in moderation. I don't even have a flash on my mirrorless cam anymore.

Steve Jobs hated it too... :laugh:  :laugh:

I think i only used the front facing camera in all my phones for videocalls; selfies i take with the back camera as it has more quality.

Flash is a bad idea in general. It takes away all the atmosphere unless done professionaly and in moderation.

It really can't look anyworse than this.

1521900_10152150217550513_2110831313_n.j

1521900_10152150217550513_2110831313_n.j

Well it might not be much of a photo, but it conveys atmosphere so much more. You don't take selfies because you want good photos, you take them to quickly share with your friends and show what you're doing.

Why doesn't my phone have Neuralyzer?

Yeah! And why doesn't my phone have a built in light-sabre?

• Like 2

Well it might not be much of a photo, but it conveys atmosphere so much more. You don't take selfies because you want good photos, you take them to quickly share with your friends and show what you're doing.

I also think the one on the right looks like the guy off despicable me

You two might want to step out of your house once in a while and observe modern society.  Selfies are huge with the generations, and they often use the front facing camera.

*with the narcissistic "generation"*

It would be worse if the picture was in good quality. I guess that's one good thing that crappy cameras do.

Because the selfie epidemic is bad enough as it is.  Don't make it any worse by adding flash, lol.

• Like 2

I've now tried three times to write a reply about why people should just accept that a selfie is a spur of the moment thing and therefore doesn't need to be good quality to begin with, but I keep getting caught up with technicalities.

If there was a forward-facing flash on my phone I would never use it. The occasional times that I have taken a selfie - I just took one a moment ago as a test because of this thread - I accept that I am not using a proper camera and that the lack of a flash captures the situation as it is. If I'm in a smokey bar, the photo will reflect that. If I'm sat in the park in the sunshine, again it will be reflected in the result of the photo.

As for opinions on selfies themselves, I don't mind half as much as a lot of people seem to. Then again, my friends and I don't take selfies every 20 seconds and post them to Facebook.

Looks fine to me and for 99.9% of people, it'll be fine. We aren't taking photos for the Tate Modern here. Your comment is also ridiculous. Take away what atmosphere? What about instances when you're trying to take a photo in the dark? It's far more sensible to have flash on all phones and let the user decide whether to enable or disable it - even then, as I said, 99.9% of people couldn't give a ###### about the technical details - they want to capture and remember the moment and that, above all, is the most important thing anyway. 

I will never understand the reason why people take selfies. However as far as a flash goes as low res as the front facing cameras usually are and the fact that they are usually not configured well, you would end up with a washed out photo. Not to mention the fact that as close as the subject is to the light it would probably end up out of focus.