Veteran With Concealed Carry Permit Shoots Back At Chicago Gunman

One of the spate of shootings that took place in Chicago, Ill. over the July 4th holiday weekend involved a veteran with a concealed carry permit who was forced to a shoot a man who began firing on him and a group of friends.

The incident occurred Friday night, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The veteran and three of his friends were leaving a party on the city?s south side. When the group reached their vehicle, a container with liquor was sitting on top of it. A woman from the group asked another group gathered next door who the liquor belonged to and removed it.

The move angered 22 year-old Denzel Mickiel, who approached the veteran and his friends shouting obscenities. The man then went into his residence and returned with a gun.

As Mickiel opened fire on the group, the veteran took cover near the vehicle?s front fender, according to assistant state attorney Mary Hain, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The veteran fired two shots, hitting Mickiel both times.

Two of Mickiel?s friends also began shooting at the group, which was able to flee the scene in their vehicle.

Mickiel was transported to the hospital and is in critical condition. A woman in the veteran?s group was hit twice ? once in the arm and once in the back ? but was stabilized and taken to the hospital.

Mickiel is charged with attempted murder and will be held on $950,000 bond.

Had Friday?s shooting occurred a little more than a year ago, the veteran would not have been legally permitted to conceal carry his firearm.

Illinois was the last U.S. state to allow citizens to carry concealed weapons with a permit, finally passing a law on July 9, 2013. The state began issuing conceal carry permits in February.

Seven people died and approximately 50 were injured in shootings that took place in Chicago over the weekend. The city has among the highest violent crime rates among major U.S. cities.

http://news.yahoo.com/veteran-concealed-carry-permit-shoots-back-chicago-gunman-031804649.html

looking at the police report, since it would say if he was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm/gun and it doesn't say it, could one assume the attacker also was a 100% legal gun owner?

• Like 1

No, because initial police reports wouldn't necessarily include his past record and firearms eligibility. That comes later after the DA's investigators do their job.

They could've just left. The story says the guy had to go back into his residence to get his gun. Not sure why they didn't just get out of there while he was doing that.

I mean I could also post every story of gun accidents when they happen if you want, but I suppose it's okay if some kids accidentally get killed as long as some concealed carry owners get lucky once in a while.

Without any real facts or knowledge of the situation, the "veteran" will immediately become the good guy.

In reality, it's been a while since I've seen a veteran. However, I see mercenaries all over the place.

Point: Don't give people the benefit of the doubt because of a title. Also, apparently it is a bad idea to party in Chicago.

Without any real facts or knowledge of the situation, the "veteran" will immediately become the good guy.

In reality, it's been a while since I've seen a veteran. I see mercenaries all over the place though.

Point: Don't give people the benefit of the doubt because of a title.

And mercenaries are precisely what US soldiers are these days. It's ridiculous to portray them as heroes - they're doing a job, fighting for their government's geopolitical interests.

And mercenaries are precisely what US soldiers are these days. It's ridiculous to portray them as heroes - they're doing a job, fighting for their government's geopolitical interests.

I know too many who are doing so just because they are both single and have student loan problems...

Good joke.  If you don't get the humor, look up the real definition of mercenary.

• Like 1

Good joke.  If you don't get the humor, look up the real definition of mercenary.

I'm not joking. I know the definition of mercenary. The word still suits US soldiers of today.

• Like 2

They could've just left. The story says the guy had to go back into his residence to get his gun. Not sure why they didn't just get out of there while he was doing that.

I mean I could also post every story of gun accidents when they happen if you want, but I suppose it's okay if some kids accidentally get killed as long as some concealed carry owners get lucky once in a while.

They didn't know he was going to do anything until he showed up with the weapon, so leaving early why?

You overstate the accidental shootings problem. Less than 150 kids (federal stats are 19 and under) a year are killed in firearms accidents. FAR more than that are killed on bikes and other accidental causes.

If you want to count homicides that's different, about 1,600, but even then the vast majority are gang-bangers offing each other. Darwin at work.

Meanwhile, the Feds and university studies put defensive gun uses at between 1 and 2.5 MILLION a year.

• Like 2

I'm not joking. I know the definition of mercenary. The word still suits US soldiers of today.

So you're saying every soldier who participated in a conflict is NOT a national or NOT a party to the conflict and is only motivated to partake for PERSONAL GAIN?  Yet, these same mercenaries ARE part of a party to the conflict and 99.99999% if asked would rather be home with their loved ones than in some dust bowl protecting their country's interest.

Put down the crack and walk away.

Ahh, this old gem again..

DocM/KingCracker/(et all) post another shining example of how guns are just ######ing great, half the forum points out that guns are bad in contradiction of the other half, and the entire thing descends into stupidity..

A wonderful example of Neowin in action.

tl;dr - If your avatar/DP and or signature have a military insignia or a picture of guns/gun quotes -- you're probably a gun rights supporter and the OP..

So you're saying every soldier who participated in a conflict is NOT a national or NOT a party to the conflict and is only motivated to partake for PERSONAL GAIN?  Yet, these same mercenaries ARE part of a party to the conflict and 99.99999% if asked would rather be home with their loved ones than in some dust bowl protecting their country's interest.

Put down the crack and walk away.

Yes, that is what I am saying. For the vast majority being a soldier equates having a job. A job with a lot of risks, yes, but in the end nothing more but a job in the interest of their masters.

Equating a volunteer Army with a mercenary force reveals that he knows not the definition of either.

I am very well aware of the definitions of volunteer army and mercenary.

• Like 2

You think you are, but your statements prove otherwise. If you want to say contractors are mercs then we agree, but that doesn't apply to regular forces.

Also,

We argue with facts on the ground in the US, you anti's with platitudes and invalid comparisons to cultures with different circumstances. I'll take the former.

That is belied by the fact that Chicago was just as deadly, if not more so, before its law as changed late last year....and the situation in Oakland California which has restrictive state carry laws. Also NJ etc etc.

It ain't that simple.

there seems a simple solution here... don't allow chumps like this Mickiel access to weapons??!

Then no one would need them... oh wait, that's probably too sensible.

• Like 4

Sounds like a modern day western.

Pretty much. Anyone messes with you and you shoot them dead. It makes a mockery of the notion of a 'civilised' society. Worse still is that police officers can't be trusted, as they're so scared of getting shot that they just gun down suspects without any second thought.

• Like 2

Pretty much. Anyone messes with you and you shoot them dead. It makes a mockery of the notion of a 'civilised' society.

What makes a mockery of a civilized society is the revolving door that puts these hoods back on the street until they kill someone. Often because they're juvies and we can't hurt the little darlings feelings :angry:

Worse still is that police officers can't be trusted, as they're so scared of getting shot that they just gun down suspects without any second thought.

There are rules as to when a cop can shoot, more stringent ones than applied to civilians. People get overwrought when cops shoot a suspect with a knife 20 feet away when in reality that's one of the most dangerous situations (knife wielders can cover 20 feet FAST.)

Then too is that most cops couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door. Poor training, infrequent qualifications or range time etc. The FBI has been trying to get this resolved for decades.

Fact is, cops are 5x more likely to hit an innocent party than a civilian concealed carry permit holder.

What makes a mockery of a civilized society is the revolving door that puts these hoods back on the street until they kill someone. Often because they're juvies and we can't hurt the little darlings feelings :angry:

Unless you're suggesting that shooting people dead in the streets is the answer to the problems with the justice system I don't see your point. If there are problems with the justice system, which clearly there are, then they need to be addressed. I don't think you'll find anyone advocating that dangerous criminals should be released so we don't hurt their feelings - that's a rather ludicrous thing to say. Your anger is completely misdirected.

There are rules as to when a cop can shoot, more stringent ones than applied to civilians. People get overwrought when cops shoot a suspect with a knife 20 feet away when in reality that's one of the most dangerous situations (knife wielders can cover 20 feet FAST.)

It doesn't matter what the rules are, police officers in the US are gunning down suspects at an alarming rate with no accountability. Even when officers are disciplined?which is extremely rare?the majority are overturned on appeal, with police officers literally getting away with murder. You just don't see the same thing happening in countries like the UK or Germany.

there seems a simple solution here... don't allow chumps like this Mickiel access to weapons??!

Then no one would need them... oh wait, that's probably too sensible.

How do you plan on doing that?

The black market doesn't exactly go by the law.

It doesn't matter what the rules are, bad police officers in the US are gunning down suspects at an alarming rate with no accountability. Even when officers are disciplined?which is extremely rare?the majority are overturned on appeal, with police officers literally getting away with murder. You just don't see the same thing happening in countries like the UK or Germany.

FTFY.

You have an uncanny knack for accusing entire groups for poor decisions made by individuals.

Really? Where's the "private gain" for some 18 or 19 yr old kid who is sent (ordered) to some hell hole half way around the world to get shot at or blown up for buttons money?

The real issue here is that Chicago is a failed city without any effective gun control. The states that have the most restrictions on guns have the fewest killings.

The south side of Chicago is the failed bit. The other bits of the city are actually quite nice and fairly safe too.

You can do your own research into the circumstances of the south side.