ASPI Layer?

Question

hi!

I ask this because lately whenever I recorded a CD with nero or even XP's built in system, the CD would be recorded just fine but the application froze at the end of the operation to the point of freezing or at least having to reset the computer.

Last time this happened the system got so f**** up that It wouldn't boot any longer, I had to reinstall XP.

I guess since I have the system always up to date, and this happens with different applications, the cause could be the ASPI layer.

Unfortunatly I need it to use CladDVD for ripping my legally aquired DVDs (Cough, cough) I mean backin' up.

So , what stable no frills ASPI layer would you recommend?

7 answers to this question

just goto adaptec.co mand download latest apsi layer for windows (or whatever your OS is). i never heard of cladDVD. i use easydivx,smartripper and dvd2svcd to back up my dvds.

Nero does not require an external ASPI, it has its own library.

If problems are popping up with Nero, that is nearly always a sign that (a) your hardware somewhere is busted or (b) you've got too many ASPI layers. Given that you're also having booting problems, its most probably (a), since I've never heard of ASPI problems causing boot failures.

Something you should know, Windows XP comes with its own burning library (SPTI, IIRC) which is pretty solid ( over 100 discs burned using native Windows layer, no coasters yet ). Not many applications require an external layer anymore, so IMHO, you should only install Adaptec's ASPI when absolutely necessary.