Match 64: Germany vs Argentina (Final)

26 members have voted

1. 1. Germany or Argentina?

• Germany
    • Argentina
  2. 2. How many goals will Germany score?

• 5+
  3. 3. How many goals will Argentina score?

• 5+

I CANNOT believe that Messi received that title. He didn't scored any goals in the elimination phase, there were many other players that deserved it much more than him. Pathetic... 

• Like 3

I CANNOT believe that Messi received that title. He didn't scored any goals in the elimination phase, there were many other players that deserved it much more than him. Pathetic... 

I think that most of the people agrees with you, at least here everyone does. He could be the best player in his league with this team, but in this World Cup he didnt showed up.

I somewhat disagree, without him they wouldn't have even made it to the knockout stages.

• Like 1

I tried. I really really tried. I tried to get into soccer this time round. I am told constantly by soccer/football fans that Americans just don't get it. We aren't smart enough to understand the subtle nuances of the game. That soccer on the highest level really IS much more intricate than watching the 10-year-old kids at the park play.

Hogwash! I just spent the better part of an afternoon today watching a bunch of people kick a ball around. Back & forth. Back & forth. Back & forth. And yes, the one, yes ONE goal that was scored was a nice play. But good god, talk about boring. One shouldn't need to drink 5-hour-energy to stay awake for a final. They run around for 120 minutes and that's what we get? 1 fricking goal??? And this Messi guy who is supposed by so amazing looked as bored to be there as I was watching.

Yeah, the arrogant American. I get it. But this is precisely why soccer has been and will always be a niche sport in the USA.

What can be done? I don't know, but until it changes, I think I'll stick with watching the kids at the park. At least until 2018 when ESPN and the rest will do their best to convince us that soccer really is worth getting into.

I tried. I really really tried. I tried to get into soccer this time round. I am told constantly by soccer/football fans that Americans just don't get it. We aren't smart enough to understand the subtle nuances of the game. That soccer on the highest level really IS much more intricate than watching the 10-year-old kids at the park play.

Hogwash! I just spent the better part of an afternoon today watching a bunch of people kick a ball around. Back & forth. Back & forth. Back & forth. And yes, the one, yes ONE goal that was scored was a nice play. But good god, talk about boring. One shouldn't need to drink 5-hour-energy to stay awake for a final. They run around for 120 minutes and that's what we get? 1 fricking goal??? And this Messi guy who is supposed by so amazing looked as bored to be there as I was watching.

Yeah, the arrogant American. I get it. But this is precisely why soccer has been and will always be a niche sport in the USA.

What can be done? I don't know, but until it changes, I think I'll stick with watching the kids at the park. At least until 2018 when ESPN and the rest will do their best to convince us that soccer really is worth getting into.

Paedo :shifty:

Started watching from extra time. In the second half I thought they were just going to play for penalties. So glad it was decided with a fantastic goal. All in all, a great tournament.

To be fair, he didn't look particularly thrilled about it.

In fairness, you have to give it a little more time.  Despite it being the world's premier tournament, it isn't actually where the best football gets played.  The finals tend to be the worst, because rather than two teams trying to win, you get two teams trying not to lose.  International football is actually the worst (these guys barely spend 20 days a year together with the exception of a major tournament (less if they don't do well).  The real good football is at club level.  Follow a team that plays in a league, where the players spend the best part of 40 weeks a year training and playing together. 

I like to think I like a fair set of sports, but it took me a good while to appreciate NFL - more than watching a single Superbowl  ;)

Having said that I am glad Germany won it, they have been very good all tournament.  I called it from the beginning though.

• Like 2

I tried. I really really tried. I tried to get into soccer this time round.

Why?

I am told constantly by soccer/football fans that Americans just don't get it. We aren't smart enough to understand the subtle nuances of the game.

What idiot would say that to you? As if watching football is a sophisticated pastime.

That soccer on the highest level really IS much more intricate than watching the 10-year-old kids at the park play.

That goes without saying.

Hogwash! I just spent the better part of an afternoon today watching a bunch of people kick a ball around. Back & forth. Back & forth.

The same could be said of all sports. They are equally pointless, unless you are actually participating.

Back & forth. And yes, the one, yes ONE goal that was scored was a nice play. But good god, talk about boring. One shouldn't need to drink 5-hour-energy to stay awake for a final. They run around for 120 minutes and that's what we get? 1 fricking goal???

One could argue that basketball is equally boring precisely because points are scored every few seconds.

Give it a couple of decades and it will have overtaken other currently more prominent sports in terms of popularity.

What can be done? I don't know, but until it changes, I think I'll stick with watching the kids at the park.

This statement has already been ridiculed elsewhere in the thread. :)

At least until 2018 when ESPN and the rest will do their best to convince us that soccer really is worth getting into.

Do you feel pressured to do so?

I myself have close to zero interest in watching professional sports, never having been able to comprehend what people are actually supporting when declaring loyalty to their chosen team. Particularly nowadays, when most teams are comprised of little more than hired mercenaries brought in to boost their success.

Individual sports, on the other hand are just money grabs, and I would rather focus on my own futile and squalid existence, rather than seeking vicarious pleasure from the achievements of others.

Only this morning, I said to my wife as we watched the last minutes of the final and images of crying Argentinian fans appeared on the screen "I could never imagine myself doing that (crying) for any sporting event, unless it was our son playing, or something".

That said, the World Cup and the Olympics are exciting, simply because it is nice to see the world playing together.

Congrats to all our German readers and supporters, and a special thanks to Frank for doing every single one of the World Cup match threads! (y)

Congrats to all our German readers and supporters, and a special thanks to Frank for doing every single one of the World Cup match threads! (Y)

It's been my pleasure to post the World Cup threads. Now to wait for the Euro 2016 and another glorious German victory...

.... right?