AOL Via Windows DUN

Question

Hi just a mere question

if im 'engaged' into a contract with AOL and i decide not to use their lame ass software and access via a windows dun (by inputting my e-mail address and my password for aol and connecting) would this still be charged to my monthly aol contract or will i be paying by the minute?

some guy here said he was running it and it worked, however i cant afford to go running up an insane phonebill if it turns out i pay by the minute instead of my monthly fee

yeah, if you could use DUN with AOL, you still are connection to AOLs servers and using your accound username and password

its just that AOL does not let you do that... yet

hmm well i just tried it

connected fine and im running it now

with my username/password

i just didnt enter the number?

thats bad right? lol

you are connected to the internet via DUN? Did DUN dial in and you connected? Or are you also running AOL too? Congrats if you got online without running AOL though (Y)

the aol software isnt running

all i did was create a new dun entered my e-mail address and my password selecting my broadband modem and hit dial

it connected but will this cause me to pay by the minute?

Im a beta tester for AOL UK (currently beta testing AOL 9.0) and as of now there is no AOL Dialer (like the US AOL) yet which allows you to use AOL as a standard ISP with no browser. You cannot dial into AOL via a standard DUN on 56k. As for broadband... i'm not sure... assuming the numbers are the same then it should be free. try it for a few hours/mins and then go back to AOL Browser and check your Bill online or wait for it to sent you to see if it charges you.. your ISP and Landline Bill that is ;)

You have to use the AOL Browser and connectivity service.

I am hoping the AOL UK will impliment a 'AOL Dialer' so we can atleast minimize aol...

DUN is for dail-up only, 56K modems are as fast as they go... if you didn't enter in an AOL access number then its not connected... Does your computer have an existing high speed internet connection?

ok im on a 512k broadband connection

i hate the aol software so i created a new windows DUN

i then selected my Broadband modem

then i entered my username (username@aol.com)

then my password

then i hit dial

now im not sure if this will charge by the min or monthly

I use AOL via DUN, it works fine, doesnt run up no phone bill, just the standard monthly bill. AOL doesnt seem to have a problem with their customers using DUN, iv been using it for over 2 months and had no complaints from AOL. AOL software is just plain sh*t. Using DUN free's up a bit of bandwidth aswell, so its all good :)

ChatAgentUK019: Welcome to Member Help Interactive. Please present your question, and I will be with you in just a moment. :)

ChatAgentUK019: Thank you for calling in to Live Help!! I may be with some other members at the moment, please state your query and I will be with you as soon as possible :-)

Pjonas1337: Hi just a simple question really

Pjonas1337: the aol software on my pc keeps crashing so i called the helpline

Pjonas1337: some guy told me to try using a windows dun with my username and password and my broadband modem selected

Pjonas1337: however will this cause me to be charged by the minute or still monthly?

ChatAgentUK019: Your price plan will remain the same.It will only change if you change your price plan.

Pjonas1337: ok so even though i am using a windows dun to connecto to aol i will still be charged monthly and not by the minute?

ChatAgentUK019: If you use dial up to access AOL then you will need to use the 0845 number.Which is a paid number.

Pjonas1337: no its a broadband connection

ChatAgentUK019: Yes but if you use dial up you will be charged extra.

Pjonas1337: ok but if i use the broadband modem and my aol account and password it will still be charged monthly?

ChatAgentUK019: Yes as per your broadband price plan.

Pjonas1337: ok, thats great news, thanks for your help, it was much appreciated

:D:D:D:D

Yeah im just glad i got that cleared up cant be affording pay by the min lol

thanks for all your help though guys much appreciated :)

hopefully this info will be of help to some other people too

DUN is for dail-up only, 56K modems are as fast as they go... if you didn't enter in an AOL access number then its not connected... Does your computer have an existing high speed internet connection?

DUN is used in the UK for ADSL connections because the service is provided via your phone line, not a dedicated line for internet such as cable internet ....

Radish?