Adguard adblocker destroys adblock plus, less ram, cpu etc

Question

I was looking at the most popular downloads on softpedia and i saw adguard adblocker which i had never heard of, it turns out it is incredible!

Here is info about it: http://forum.adguard.com/showthread.php?1662-Adguard-for-Firefox-open-beta-test

It uses less cpu and memory, i tested with around 14 tabs and my ram usage was 53mb in chrome, adblock plus uses 101mb with the exact same tabs! The other amazing thing is that it is incredibly easy to manually block images, frames etc, here are some screenshots: 

x6k4yr.png

The addon is free for all browsers but if you want child protection filtering functionality enabling you have to pay. The chrome version is in the chrome store, firefox version is available here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adguard-adblocker/

• Like 3

Any suggestions for making noscript not a soul destroying experience?

That thing has been driving me insane for months, it literally makes web browsing a constant battle.

I threw in the towel the other day, and disabled it.

So it apparently destroys AdBlock Plus even though it isn't free for most people unless you beta test? That doesn't sound like a destroyer to me.

Plus, it's white-listing system sounds like a pain to use compared to the one available in AdBlock Plus.

The free extensions destroy Adblock Plus. The paid program is something else entirely - we're talking about the free extensions!

Whitelisting works the exact same as in Adblock Plus. This rule alone would whitelist Neowin in ABP/AG;

@@||neowin.net

APE is a fork of ABP and is basically the same underlying code, just with the "allow unobtrusive advertising" option removed/disabled. I doubt its much lighter than ABP, if at all.

If anyone wants to make APB 'lighter', the best bet is do use a filter that doesn't have element hiding. The way Adblock Plus handles element hiding is the reason for its resource usage issues, because it injects huge css stylesheets into every page. There's a version of easylist with no element hiding: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist_noelemhide.txt

What does it mean ( Element hiding ) ?  Do you mean this option " Hide placeholders of blocked elements " ?

What does it mean ( Element hiding ) ?  Do you mean this option " Hide placeholders of blocked elements " ?

element hiding gets rid of all whitespace and extra elements resulting from the blocking of ads. Adblock accomplishes this by injecting css stylesheets into the page. The default filter lists include a lot of rules that use/depend on css element hiding, so if you want to try disabling element hiding the best bet is to use a filter that doesn't include element hiding rules at all, like the one I linked :) If you use a filter list with no element hiding, no element hiding rules get loaded at all, and these large css stylesheets aren't loaded at all.

I keep getting this when accessing their website:

No cached version of this page is available.

Maybe my ABP is blocking that site! Nope, it isn't!

Edit:

Just installed it in my Iceweasel on Debian Linux. Here's hoping it's REALLY as good as what was bragged about here! ;)

Edit 2:

Nope, not using this. Does not do anything differently, cpu or page load times or memory wise, on my Linux box.

Back to good ol' trusty ABP! :)

checking this out! Will report back soon.

using it with google chrome.

Is it just me or does the browser do nothing for 5 seconds when you click a link?.. it just looks like it's loading the next page but it's not :/ until 5 seconds and then it starts to load.

There is a white list that is enabled by default, neowin staff should contact the adguard developers and ask if they will put you on it in exchange for maybe doing a review and posting it on your main page or something.

To be fair, whitelists should only apply to non-intrusive advertising. Neowin, unfortunately, doesn't meet that criteria. I can't remember how many times I've temporarily disabled ABP on this site, only to be bombarded with flash ads. Now, if it was Google's text based ads that don't get in your face, I could agree with that. And even I would be willing to whitelist then. All too often though the ads are obnoxious.

On the original topic though, I've never tried this extension before. I'll have to give it a go. Not bothered about memory per se, but if it can speed up Firefox, I'm all for it.

I block ads because I don't want obtrusive ads bouncing over my screen taking my attention from the reason im on the site in the first place, I also hate the ones I can accidentally click. Yes I know I should contribute to the site etc but I no longer visit TheSun website because they started charging for content, now I get my news elsewhere.

If this site would fade away (god forbid) then I would end up spending my time with most of the other members that want somewhere else to go and find one, I imagine one would pop up from somewhere.

In before "you're a dick" and "you should support the site you visit" - well I block ads on all of those sites and don't donate and they are all still there.

oh and in before warning or ban

element hiding gets rid of all whitespace and extra elements resulting from the blocking of ads. Adblock accomplishes this by injecting css stylesheets into the page. The default filter lists include a lot of rules that use/depend on css element hiding, so if you want to try disabling element hiding the best bet is to use a filter that doesn't include element hiding rules at all, like the one I linked :) If you use a filter list with no element hiding, no element hiding rules get loaded at all, and these large css stylesheets aren't loaded at all.

Thank You for telling about list without element hiding . Normal list is 1.5 Mb and this is 500 kb  . Adblock Edge + No element hiding list is even faster :D

I keep getting this when accessing their website:

No cached version of this page is available.

Maybe my ABP is blocking that site! Nope, it isn't!

Edit:

Just installed it in my Iceweasel on Debian Linux. Here's hoping it's REALLY as good as what was bragged about here! ;)

Edit 2:

Nope, not using this. Does not do anything differently, cpu or page load times or memory wise, on my Linux box.

Back to good ol' trusty ABP! :)

OK,

I gave in a tried this on a Windows machine. Can't even begin to see where you guys say this is so much lighter or page load time is so much faster though. In fact, if nothing else, I'd say page load times are significantly slower using this. :(

Will definitely stick with ABP now! :)

I have been using it for a few weeks now and for the most part it has been much better than ABP for me however, all of the sudden it has stopped working today. it wont block any ads even if i manually tell it to :(

Been using it for a few days now and it seems to use the same amount of resources as AdBlock Plus. Which means that it does NOT destroy AdBlock Plus at all since they function very similarly.  

Been using it for a few days now and it seems to use the same amount of resources as AdBlock Plus. Which means that it does NOT destroy AdBlock Plus at all since they function very similarly.  

You run both ABP and AG at same time?

Disabled? I found in my own testing not too long ago uninstalling ABP before using AG seems to work best to avoid any possible incompatibilities regardless how unlikely it may be. In fact, I'd highly recommend trying a clean Chrome/Opera/Firefox profile before trying this out (back up bookmarks first, of course!).

Disabled? I found in my own testing not too long ago uninstalling ABP before using AG seems to work best to avoid any possible incompatibilities regardless how unlikely it may be. In fact, I'd highly recommend trying a clean Chrome/Opera/Firefox profile before trying this out (back up bookmarks first, of course!).

Well since it was disabled, I doubt it causes conflict. It worked fine, but there was barely any difference in terms of resource usage. So I'd say it's on par with ABP, which isn't bad. It just means that it's kinda pointless switching to Adguard if you already have ABP. :)

Noooooooo!

Don't tell me I've been worshiping a lesser god!

This comment belongs in the humour/religion thread. I laughed :D

I just installed Adguard to try it out. I whitelisted Neowin and GAF. Seems like it's working great. I'll give it a shot for a few days and see how it performs.